Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri Bike or Road Bike for Indoor Training?
Quote | Reply
From December all the way through until May, I'll be going with 4 rides on the trainer and one ride outdoors per week. The weekly ride outdoors will always be with the road bike. For all the indoor rides, should I definitely go with the triathlon bike? Any downside to it?

What sparked this question is reading the Kienle Training thread and seeing that many of the pros ride their road bike much much more than the tri bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike or Road Bike for Indoor Training? [C_Hassard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It doesn't matter. Ride the bike you like to ride on the trainer and you'll be good.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike or Road Bike for Indoor Training? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode my tri bike all last winter. Didn't have a road bike at the time. I found myself on the hoods most of the time rather than the aero position and the hoods got uncomfortable on my hands on long rides. I've found with my new road bike on the trainer the setup is a bit more comfortable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ride the Tri bike. Get used to the position. Just my $0.02
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike or Road Bike for Indoor Training? [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:
I rode my tri bike all last winter. Didn't have a road bike at the time. I found myself on the hoods most of the time rather than the aero position and the hoods got uncomfortable on my hands on long rides. I've found with my new road bike on the trainer the setup is a bit more comfortable.

I do the same thing, very little time in the aero bars. I just got an old road bike, put aero bars on, and just left it setup when I used a computrainer.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are doing solid long sets endurance type training I find the tri bike more comfortable as I can rest my arms and body weight on the bike.

If I'm doing interval sessions or big gear work, I find the road bike more comfortable as I can switch hand positions, get out of the saddle easier and find it less strain on my neck being more upright and not in the aero position. You can obviously switch hand positions on the tri bike also, but I found the weight on my hands on the hoods of the tri bike for prolonged periods left my hands and wrists quite sore afterwards especially if I had a swim the next day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am indoors for all of my rides during the winter. I make sure to use both my road bike and tri bike on the trainer every week. I ride my road bike for the majority of training 2-3 rides a week. I hop on my tri bike once a week to stay used to the position.

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your "A" race is early spring, suggest more time on tri bike for specificity of training. If summer or late summer "A" race mix it up as you are inspired and get more specific with the tri bike training 3-4 months out from your "A" race. Kudos for the mental toughness to get on your trainer 4x per week!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tt bike right now but I find it very comfortable. Gonna put clip ons on my road and use that I find aero bars very comfortable
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tt bike and see how low you can get!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All Road Bike.

x infinity
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride my Tri bike on the trainer and road bike outside in the late fall to early spring. I like my tri bike more on the trainer because it's more comfortable for me. I also commute to work on my road bike so it's set up with fenders right now. If the weather is nice enough to ride outside I switch my powertap to my roadie and ride that.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Road bike only on trainer, mostly because I keep trainer tire on road bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I typically have ridden the road bike indoors, but am currently running the new tri bike so I can adapt to the new position. It really depends on the type of workout you're doing. If you're slogging through hours of base miles, then road all the way. If you're doing power (or not) based intervals, then I would train on the racing bike.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike or Road Bike for Indoor Training? [trismitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri bike, to adapt to the position as well as try small changes to position and see how it feels, try some new components as well in a controlled environment.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply