Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Storing carbon bike frame in cold garage [Tryda33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't some engineer say that carbon fiber was developed as an external component on the shuttles. Doesn't get more extreme than that in terms of temperature or variance and it does fine.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Storing carbon bike frame in cold garage [davidalone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davidalone wrote:
You're kidding, right?

Carbon fiber is used in aircraft parts. Aircraft face far worse extremes of temperature than your bike will ever see on a daily basis. And they trust the lives of hundreds of people on those parts.

I might be more concerned about the rubber in your tyres and any lube losing its efficacy than any carbon damage. Make sure you dont have any water stuck in your frame that could freeze and you'll be good

Everybody knows that bicycle carbon fiber frames are subject to the same quality requirements that are applied in aircraft manufacturing, right!?
Ever heard of "fillers" and glue?
Extremely fast temperature changes between different materials can lead to tensions between the different materials that may lead to de-bonding.

The statement that the bonded and glued plastic tubes of a bicycle frame are the same technology that is used in an aircraft, is plain and simple wrong.
Last edited by: windschatten: Nov 22, 14 21:51
Quote Reply
Re: Storing carbon bike frame in cold garage [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I've heard of fillers and glue ( I'm a mech engineer, btw.) . A properly made frame should not have it's structural quality or integrity signifcantly affected by fillers.

Carbon bikes are of course not as stringently tested as aircraft parts, of course, but they don't have to be. but really the technology is not much different. different resins, fiber layups and weave, grade of CF. better quality control. laws of physics still apply to them. In my university lab we built Military UAV parts out of CF and resin that anyone with some decent understanding of composites could easily buy on the market. UAVs are not aircraft, but when expensive military equipment is on the line you better bet it is good quality. ( I wasn't the CF layup guy, so not too experienced with it, but it IS not that complicated.) . CF has been used in deep space probes since the 1970s, and will see extremes of temperature ( in terms of coldness) far beyond what you will see on earth. and they probably didn't have any special resins back in the 70s, mind you.

fact of the matter is, extremely fast temperature changes don't happen anywhere in a bike frame. They DO happen in aircraft, but they have special high temp resins to handle that. Aircraft and bicycle CF are not exactly the same, but they are not that far apart as one would make them out to be either.
Quote Reply

Prev Next