Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM AZ Athlete Injured in Bike Crash Needs Your Support [jfm225] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is what leads me to believe that there is hope for humanity. How many of these people have actually met her, yet look at the results.

Also, shoutout to squidbilly (above) for that offer. Truly awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: IM AZ Athlete Injured in Bike Crash Needs Your Support [lutzman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great post.

I initially found it extremely interesting that she will be out of pocket anything given you buy race day licence/insurance or they won;t let you start an Ironman.

In theory she should be out of pocket 1 cent.

Mind you the money will help family stay with her and not cost them a bomb.

Happy to drop some coin in too.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: IM AZ Athlete Injured in Bike Crash Needs Your Support [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
Great post.

I initially found it extremely interesting that she will be out of pocket anything given you buy race day licence/insurance or they won;t let you start an Ironman.

Except she will be out the additional deductible required by the USA Triathlon secondary insurance. It's $250 if she has a primary health insurance plan or $1,000 if she doesn't. The policy kicks in after that. .
Quote Reply
Re: IM AZ Athlete Injured in Bike Crash Needs Your Support [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
Great post.

I to find that interesting.
prior to heading to my last IM, I had to ensure that i had
- Travel insurance that included health & medical that was also valid during the race itself - this was handle via Triathlon Australia.
- Bike insurance that was also valid for transit, training & during the race - Velosure has just replaced the P3 frame that was cracked by Hawaiin Airlines.

so what does the " race day licence/insurance cover?

but more importantly, from this side of the Pacific, we wish the injured a speedy recovery.
Quote Reply
Re: IM AZ Athlete Injured in Bike Crash Needs Your Support [Avago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just added to the fund, Nice job from many people. Hope it helps, I don't know what I would do in this situation as I traveled to AZ alone to meet friends there...
Checking travel insurance in the future to ensure I have medflight transfers...
Quote Reply
Re: IM AZ Athlete Injured in Bike Crash Needs Your Support [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on the USAT insurance. I might only add that they are sticklers for paperwork, so if able ask Amy to have copies of EVERYTHING.

Only those who risk going too far can find out how far they can go...
Quote Reply
Re: IM AZ Athlete Injured in Bike Crash Needs Your Support [jfm225] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am sending quick-healing vibes. Let her know we're all pulling for her.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't donate right now, but would be more than willing to bring over a meal(s) if it can help.

speedySTATES
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amy's friends and family thank all of you so much for your healing thoughts, your donations to help cover her expenses back in Ohio and medical bills in AZ, your advice about USAT coverage, your insight as to what happened last Sunday, your generous offers! She is slowly improving, starting PT, and has been moved to a step-down rehab unit. Her family is trying to reduce her mental stimulation to allow her brain the time it needs to heal, as recommended by the medical team.

The tri community truly is a caring one and the outpouring of support has been overwhelming. Thanks again from Amy's Support Team!
Quote Reply
Re: IM AZ Athlete Injured in Bike Crash Needs Your Support [lutzman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Lutzman how much does that insurance cost? Does one purchase it for a one time one day event?

Thanks

lutzman wrote:
Hey John:

A good cause. I'll sign in and give a her some support.

FYI--Amy is probably aware of this, but be sure to make sure she jumps on the USA Triathlon secondary health insurance. I had a very similar crash outcome at the Boise HIM (seven broken ribs, clavicle, scapula) but fortunately avoided any head trauma. Nonetheless, after a two day stay in the Boise hospital my total bill was over $45,000. Fortunately, my company health insurance was solid and my out of pocket was only about $4,000.

But here's where the USA Triathlon secondary insurance comes in. After an additional $250 deductible, the USA Triathlon insurance reimbursed me over $3,400. I'm told that if you don't have health insurance then the deductible is $1,000 and they then pick up the costs from there. In either case, it's a terrific benefit of having an nasty turn occur in a sanctioned event.

Here's the important point: Make sure Amy knows to get on the Ironman AZ Race Director immediately. The race director must submit an incident report to USA Triathlon. Nothing can move forward on reimbursement until this incident report is filed. In my case, Ironman Boise told me the incident report was sent. 10 weeks later when I'm waiting for reimbursement I call only to find out the incident report was never filed. Grrrrrr. So, more follow up and it apparently got filed. But it's the key to getting the process started.

Second key tip: Tell Amy to get the claim number from the USA Triathlon secondary insurance company (American Specialty Insurance). She can get this number as soon as the incident report is filed. She should then NOT pay medical expenses, but refer all of her health providers to directly bill American Specialty as a secondary insurer. This will dramatically minimize her out of pocket medical expenses and get the healthcare providers immediately working with the USA Triathlon insurance provider.

Hope she heals fast. It's been about a six month process for me, but I'm now back to running and biking...swimming comes next.

Best regards and good luck.

Hook Em' Horns
Quote Reply
Re: IM AZ Athlete Injured in Bike Crash Needs Your Support [broncotw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Broncotw :

The USA Triathlon insurance is included with your membership any time you are competing in a sanctioned race. I never gave it much thought before I crashed, but I'm thinking that I will only participate in sanctioned races in the future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done. Speedy recovery!

--------------
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done- heal quickly cactus buddy Amy!!
Quote Reply
Re: IM AZ Athlete Injured in Bike Crash Needs Your Support [mum2girls] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next