Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

outside "assistance" run course pacing taken to a new level
Quote | Reply
I was looking for videos of the Honu 70.3 course and stumbled across this. Looks like this girl ran with her boyfriend in 2013 for the entire run course and filmed it all while somehow avoiding disqualification. Seems like it was a pretty casual run for her :)

This link should start you at the right place in the video (1:53)

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Nov 20, 14 17:25
Quote Reply
Re: outside "assistance" run course pacing taken to a new level [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't look like pacing to me. Just capturing the race experience.

Plus, she's not wearing a gorilla suit.
Last edited by: Nick B: Nov 20, 14 17:28
Quote Reply
Re: outside "assistance" run course pacing taken to a new level [Nick B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick B wrote:
Doesn't look like pacing to me. Just capturing the race experience.

^^^This.

In an era of GPS watches, pacing is kinda meaningless unless they are providing other aid IMO (carrying nutrition, providing a wind block, etc.).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: outside "assistance" run course pacing taken to a new level [Nick B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
since she beat him to the finish does that mean he got chicked?
Quote Reply
Re: outside "assistance" run course pacing taken to a new level [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you imagine if all the athletes had people videoing them thru the whole race. The scary part is her filming him on the bike course. That is just an accident waiting to happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I came into this thread wanting to bust out my pitch fork and torch, now I'm wanting to sign up for Honu and download that song.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
I was looking for videos of the Honu 70.3 course and stumbled across this. Looks like this girl ran with her boyfriend in 2013 for the entire run course and filmed it all while somehow avoiding disqualification. Seems like it was a pretty casual run for her :)

As someone who went to a race half way across the country, by myself may I add, and received a 4-minute stand-down penalty for outside assistance on the run at mile 16 and cost me mega $$$, I would say that yes he was pretty lucky.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, he's a MOP age grouper, so if his girlfriend wants to be obnoxious and run alongside him it's not really affecting the race meaningfully. However, I just hope she stayed as far from the aid stations as possible, because I would be pissed as hell if a bandit or otherwise were blocking me from getting what I need. At least this particular year at Honu I was ahead of him and didn't encounter them.

But the bike course shit is inexcusable. Going out of your way to worsen traffic conditions and potentially put other athletes in danger because you're absorbed in filming your guy, that should be an instant DQ and a ban from all future WTC events.
Quote Reply
Re: outside "assistance" run course pacing taken to a new level [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As someone who went to a race half way across the country, by myself may I add, and received a 4-minute stand-down penalty for outside assistance on the run at mile 16 and cost me mega $$$, I would say that yes he was pretty lucky.

I think that the rather clear conclusion is that you need to be paced by a hot chick next time.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: outside "assistance" run course pacing taken to a new level [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this kinda shows there are no real race officials on the run course. Its timing mats and aid station volunteers. Its the same reason more and more people are using mp3 devices on the run, no one is out there to stop them.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right!
Quote Reply
Re: outside "assistance" run course pacing taken to a new level [paperwind] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
paperwind wrote:
But the bike course shit is inexcusable. Going out of your way to worsen traffic conditions and potentially put other athletes in danger because you're absorbed in filming your guy, that should be an instant DQ and a ban from all future WTC events.

It's hardly like there is much traffic on that road, there is a huge shoulder and she always stops well off the road, so I don't see that she was doing much wrong. Sure, if she's driving and filming at the same time you can criticize that, and clearly it's better if a non-driver was doing the filming, but I don't see anything she's doing as being particularly dangerous. But this is ST and it's been a while since we've had something to be outraged about, so carry on...
Quote Reply
Re: outside "assistance" run course pacing taken to a new level [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

I'm with you. In Madison, my friend was trying to give me updates and encourage me and was jogging alongside near the capital. I have a video of me waving him off. Later he told me I had nothing to worry about as 1/2 the pros had coaches running alongside giving them instructions too.

I guess now all the pros will have Garmin 920's and can get live updates during the race. Maybe Ironman will add a useful app so you can see where your competition is.

I think USAT needs to update their rules and evaluate how technology can benefit the sport and adjust the rules.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was she swimming with him too? Who was taking that footage?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick B wrote:

Follow the links, and you'll see that putting her in a gorilla suit would be a damn shame

http://www.facebook.com/kimkilgroe

http://www.kimkilgroe.com/

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: outside "assistance" run course pacing taken to a new level [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

I'm with you. In Madison, my friend was trying to give me updates and encourage me and was jogging alongside near the capital. I have a video of me waving him off. Later he told me I had nothing to worry about as 1/2 the pros had coaches running alongside giving them instructions too.

I guess now all the pros will have Garmin 920's and can get live updates during the race. Maybe Ironman will add a useful app so you can see where your competition is.

I think USAT needs to update their rules and evaluate how technology can benefit the sport and adjust the rules.

I do not know if it happen at Ironman events or not, but 15 seconds is the threshold, and someone has to be there to spot it to boot. I had a GPS watch on that was pacing me at the time. After the fact I tried to make this argument as well - no dice.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lol that's pretty great on the run but scary on the bike. I ran a marathon a few weeks back and I was running along side this girl for a while had her boyfriend tag along on a poopy bike so they could talk I thought it was pretty cute moment actually lol. Like honestly who cares lol he's not winning or placing anything so wtf I sure as hell could care less lol
Quote Reply
Re: outside "assistance" run course pacing taken to a new level [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The lack of traffic is because the Honu course highways are closed for the race. It's supposed to be local traffic only, because the alternative route to that part of the island is a circuitous drive. The police used to make more of an effort at stopping non-local traffic during the Honu. Over time this has changed and it is very noticeable on course. What looks like a wide road and shoulder in video snippets is a lot different than what you get with a couple thousand riders going both directions plus local commercial traffic. Winds on this course can be unbelievable and having the road as clear as possible is safer.

Pretty simple rules for the race: no following racers on the bike course and the run course is closed except where accessible from roads or paths. These folks disregarded both. I've been in attendance or raced every Honu and agree with keeping race followers off most of the bike course past the Queen K. A DQ would be a good start for this racer.

I don't see a lot of outrage in this thread. There are a fair number of posters with ambivalence or apologistic attitudes towards the behavior illustrated in the video. Just like ST drafting threads...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

is it just me or this whole thing is about "me me me" generation. I personally don't want to see a video of myself running.
think about the reasons why she was there.
Quote Reply
Re: outside "assistance" run course pacing taken to a new level [Bypasskid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bypasskid wrote:
think about the reasons why she was there.

yeah, I don't think she was filming him, necessarily

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: outside "assistance" run course pacing taken to a new level [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She's not in the race. Get off the course.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Re: outside "assistance" run course pacing taken to a new level [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I missed a Kona spot by 15 seconds this year to someone who had a friend/coach/whoever cycling along with them for most of the run.I was within sight of them for a lot of it, and when the course went into town the cyclist peeled off, but for all the non town bit, there they were.

Should have gone faster I know.... next time. Did piss me off a bit at the time.
Quote Reply
Re: outside "assistance" run course pacing taken to a new level [triFP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I watched somebody dropping off nutrition for a pro at IMFL one year while I was spectating. Guy would get ahead of his friend and place small bottle for him. Once on a mailbox and once on a chair by the side of the street. He was out of the top ten so I never said anything. Probably happens a lot.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply