Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: My very long IMAZ race report - 9:11 an (almost) perfect race for me [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
By the way Rob, I stumbled on our watts/speed thread from Kona 2013 and it looks like you made some real adjustments to your position from your Shiv to your Dimond. Cool when discussions like that lead to real change :)

Eric

Ah yes I'd forgotten about that. If I recall, I think you were suggesting that I not only focus on going lower, but also more stretched out, which is exactly what has happened. I think on some thread (or somewhere) you also planted the idea of these big 30K swim weeks (which has netted me 7 mins swim PR improvement 2013 vs 2014).

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: My very long IMAZ race report - 9:11 an (almost) perfect race for me [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
VGT wrote:
Just seemed odd to me, all of the loop races I've done always specify to keep all of the buoys on one side.

Every WTC race I have been to have said the buoys that mark the course are general markers....they have kayakers to push you back towards the buoys if you veer to far away (for example, in Lake Placid you used to have to stick to the right when it was a counter clockwise loop, now they want you to stick to the left given that it is a clockwise loop. For a clockwise loop they will let you veer to the right of the buoys provided you go all the way around the turn buoys. For a counte clockwise loop, they will let you swim on the left side, again, provided that you go all the way around the turn buoy. In Kona, on a clockwise loop, there is a line of kayakers that keeps you pretty well on the buoy line....you barely get to swim a couple of feet to the right as the kayak and paddle board guys keep you on track.

That's good to know, I'd have been the putz swimming outside all the buoys, lol.
Quote Reply
Re: My very long IMAZ race report - 9:11 an (almost) perfect race for me [darkhorsetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorry to derail from an awesome race report, but to reply to darkhorsetri...

here is a pic more front on that is nice and clear and shows my shoulder wrinkling. most likely part of it is as a result of no upper body muscle development lol

Quote Reply
Re: My very long IMAZ race report - 9:11 an (almost) perfect race for me [patflynnca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found a good shot of my small octane with no wrinkles

here it is on finisherpix. I am 6'1" 165 lbs and small is easy enough to get into / out of and gives me a lot fewer wrinkles than the M.
I also tried the Champsys speed suit but it really is a bad fit for me - a LOT of wrinkles. The best fit for me is the Castelli Body Paint 2.0 cycling TT suit but it's very difficult to get into and I can't run in it, which is why I originally went octane. But I'd recommend trying a bunch of options until you find one that fits well, no wrinkles and is comfy

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: My very long IMAZ race report - 9:11 an (almost) perfect race for me [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rob,

Finally had a chance to read through this on a long flight today.   Some great info and congrats again.

Where did you do your metabolic testing and what were the tests/protocol you did that resulted in your race week and race day nutrition plan?

On the run, you had no other calories than coke after you took the UCAN?

Did you hold bottle entire time on run as shown in the picture or did you have a belt?

Did you swim with the octane pulled up or down under you wetsuit? I used the castelli stealth for the bike and put it on in T1 as I had never swam with it before and didn't want to test that in AZ. I did swim with sun sleeves on my arms, though, which made it very easy to get the stealth on wet quickly.

Maybe I'll run into you at some 70.3 in the coming years. I am doing Honu and Victoria and probably Lake Stevens next year.
Quote Reply
Re: My very long IMAZ race report - 9:11 an (almost) perfect race for me [Dnowak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Doug - thanks for reading - answers below

Dnowak wrote:
Where did you do your metabolic testing and what were the tests/protocol you did that resulted in your race week and race day nutrition plan?

A few years ago I visited several facilities to try and get this done, but none of them could give me exactly what I wanted. So I purchased a metabolic cart so that I could develop my own tests. I also set up a side business, testing IM athletes, to make that thing pay for itself... and the fortunate thing about it, is that I've been able to do hundreds of tests on myself under various conditions. I've confirmed that daily diet in the days/weeks leading up to the test makes the biggest difference to fat vs carb utilization, so before a test I replicate my race week diet. Then for the actual test, I do a long warm up then do 3 x 8 min at various power outputs (below, at and above race pace). For IMAZ specifically I tested at "flats" power and "climbing the beeline" power, which would allow me to figure out how hard I could afford to push on the way up. So, I was actually planning on averaging about 260w at IMAZ, and that's what I tested at. So on race day, when I saw my power was lower, I knew I could afford to be a bit lighter on the bike calories.

Dnowak wrote:
On the run, you had no other calories than coke after you took the UCAN?
correct

Dnowak wrote:
Did you hold bottle entire time on run as shown in the picture or did you have a belt?
yes, in the past I've run with a bike bottle. This time I tried the camelbak insulated bottle that's got a hand-strap thing. I'll definitely do that again. I've thought about one of those belts that can hold a bottle but I've not tried one. I do own a fuelbelt with those little bottles but I don't like the feeling of it on the waist, and the bottle openings are too small to refill. So I've never actually raced with that thing.

Dnowak wrote:
Did you swim with the octane pulled up or down under you wetsuit?

pulled up (but zipped down). I've done all my wetsuit swims like that and it's been fine. But I do think that the T1 at IMAZ is long enough that I could have pulled it on while running. I don't think I lost much time at all in Kona when it was rolled down.

Dnowak wrote:
Maybe I'll run into you at some 70.3 in the coming years.

or at Kona! you were definitely on track for a seriously good placing at IMAZ. Have you thought about Coeur d'Alene? I'm taking a long break from racing - next one is Vineman 70.3 in July, then Kona then IMAZ again...

Quote Reply
Re: My very long IMAZ race report - 9:11 an (almost) perfect race for me [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think we need to find a way to loop around an island in the Pacific or do 515K in the vicinity of Penticton to the aforementioned program!

I might hit you up in Jan when you feel fat, slow, old and out of shape and might feel compelled that that a crash 6 week build for Port Elizabeth might be beneficial to keep thing on the rails for your fall racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info Rob. Reading these RR from people who accomplished their goals is very useful. I have figured out the Olympic & 70.3 distances and have had races up to my potential, but am still working on the IM distance. I thought AZ was going to be it, but wasn't my day.

Yes, I have had many thoughts about another IM particularly CdA as it is an easy drive from home, but for family reasons IM will be put on hold for a few years. Going to get faster at the 70.3 by improving my run & swim, and get closer to 170# (raced IM AZ at 178, 6'1") over the next few years. Then when kids are older and I earn a pass from the wife, will do another IM in 5 years or so.
Quote Reply
Re: My very long IMAZ race report - 9:11 an (almost) perfect race for me [Dnowak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dnowak wrote:
Thanks for the info Rob. Reading these RR from people who accomplished their goals is very useful. I have figured out the Olympic & 70.3 distances and have had races up to my potential, but am still working on the IM distance. I thought AZ was going to be it, but wasn't my day.

Yes, I have had many thoughts about another IM particularly CdA as it is an easy drive from home, but for family reasons IM will be put on hold for a few years. Going to get faster at the 70.3 by improving my run & swim, and get closer to 170# (raced IM AZ at 178, 6'1") over the next few years. Then when kids are older and I earn a pass from the wife, will do another IM in 5 years or so.

From AG Nats thread back in September Dnowak said:
"Take this with a grain of salt, however, as I have many miles in these legs and time in the saddle in years past when I was doing IM's from 2008-2012 and from many years of racing have developed a very strong mental focus. Also, I thank my Mom and Dad for good genes which you realize is very important when you see those on the podium at Nationals, particularly the older AG. It is amazing how good those on the podium in the 50+ AG look. Most look at least a decade younger. So don't blame your job, maybe blame your parents"

IM certainly can be humbling for even the most gifted.....
Quote Reply
Re: My very long IMAZ race report - 9:11 an (almost) perfect race for me [rmg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure what you are implying, but I will take it as a compliment you remember something I said in Aug...

I stand by those comments 100%. Genetics plays a huge role. Don't get me wrong, hard work is involved as well, but genetics sets your ceiling. It is then up to you to get as close to that potential with hard work & smart training.

For me specifically, I am made for the shorter distances. I can put down fast times with minimal, but very focused intense training. It is just that Ironman has the pull and one day I will finally put down a fast IM time. I am taking notes from those who have figured it out such as Rob so that when I try it again, it will happen.
Quote Reply

Prev Next