Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: who is going to die in the next 6 years? next 3? [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dead man walking.
Quote Reply
Re: who is going to die in the next 6 years? next 3? [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, Mom was 30, almost 31 when i arrived. my Dad was about a year younger. they married a year before that. I guess thats kind of late for the 1950's. I'm the eldest. they had two more kids after me, at two year intervals. Neither ever mentioned getting hassled about it. They never complained about much of anything. Well, maybe a bit when we kids didn't do our chores, homework, etc :-)

kathy_caribe wrote:
wow! your mom had a baby LATE for her age! my mom is 80something (maths....sigh...85 ) and she had me at 31 which was SUPER late in her day so wow. were you #1 or later? my mom had her last in her 40s and was getting hell from overpopulation folks In The Hospital when she gave birth to the last one (named after the Pope, natch).

run well, run happy
george
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At 43 I can sit down cross legged and get back up in under 5 seconds. I have said that I will live to over 100 just to piss off everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:
georgereid wrote:
at 36, i couldn't sit down cross-legged, never mind get back up. now i'm 60 and still can't :-) My Mom is 91 and i am pretty sure she could never have done this either.

wow! your mom had a baby LATE for her age! my mom is 80something (maths....sigh...85 ) and she had me at 31 which was SUPER late in her day so wow. were you #1 or later? my mom had her last in her 40s and was getting hell from overpopulation folks In The Hospital when she gave birth to the last one (named after the Pope, natch).

My father was 45 and my mother was 42. Last of 5. Nearest sibling 11 years older. Clearly a planned pregnancy.

As far as I know I'm not brain damaged ;-)

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Re: who is going to die in the next 6 years? next 3? [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, i think that is becoming more prevalent now - i had my last at 41 IIRC but back in the 50s i think it was pretty rare. i was SO skeered of having that oops baby during menopause you really don't want to know the measures we took. :) after 4 kids i was done but i could have dealt with 5. bet you had a really different childhood than your siblings.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: who is going to die in the next 6 years? next 3? [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The test insinuates that I will never die.

Jokes aside - This may or may not be helpful. I'm not really sure.

I'm 53. I've already lost a number of friends and acquaintances, in some cases men younger than me to some form of cardiovascular disease. In most cases it was sudden. These men where all active, and life long athletes. Just one day - boom, and gone!

When this first started to happen, back when I was in my early 40's I did not give it much thought other than the initial emotion, shock and sadness. Now, as the years start to march on, and the numbers who are gone starts to mount, it's starting to weigh a bit more on my shoulders.

I would like to believe the studies and the advice that, to be and stay active is better. With a back-ground in Human Physiology (BSc), I get that. The question is - how much is too much? Could this possibly be me one day? Is there anything that I can do to know more and minimize my risk?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last month I BQ'ed for 2016, but it looks like I won't be needing airline and hotel reservations after all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not even close to being able to do this at 57. Having a 37" inseam isn't helping, I think.

Ben
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello kathy_caribe and All,

Here is a test that you can purchase to help determine when you will reach your Hayflick limit.

http://www.newscientist.com/...st.html#.VG_zQ8nf-mQ

Excerpt:

"What evidence is there to support health predictions based on telomere length?
In 2004, results from a study that I worked on with colleagues at the University of California, San Francisco, linked chronic stress to shortening of telomeres. Chronic stress is also associated with a higher risk of heart disease. Bone marrow failure is also associated with short telomeres. If a test showed you had telomere shortening, it would be a red flag suggesting you should take a look at possible risk factors."

http://science.howstuffworks.com/...c/hayflick-limit.htm

Excerpt:

"The implications of the Hayflick limit are staggering: Organisms have a molecular clock that's inexorably winding down from the moment we're born. We'll explore that idea further on the next page."

=========================

For white males in US the life expectancy age is about 78 years, that is when half of your peer group is dead .... it takes about 9 years for the remainder to have another half die off, and each half life gets progressively shorter.

The good news is that there are about 53,334 centenarians in the US. Good news for females as 83% of them are female.

The Mayo clinic did a mortality study of pilots selected for good vision, low blood pressure, etc. etc. and found that the pilots died at very close to the same average as the general population.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good marker. I'm 36 and did this easily while reading the article on my phone. Seemed like most of the weight was on my heels while getting up. I'll likely have a harder go of it at 50. Good benchmark to have.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to live forever by this. I go through this range of positions sometimes multiple times per hour chasing my kids. Makes me feel younger than my grays make me appear sometimes!
Quote Reply
Re: who is going to die in the next 6 years? next 3? [OakCliffTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am extremely clumsy but this is very, very easy.
I sit on the ground quite frequently. I sit down and get back up again this way every day.

At my kids soccer game most grown ups just stand if they forgot there lawn chairs. Did not realize furniture was this dangerous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:
georgereid wrote:
at 36, i couldn't sit down cross-legged, never mind get back up. now i'm 60 and still can't :-) My Mom is 91 and i am pretty sure she could never have done this either.

31 years, pff. My dad retired...and promptly knocked my stepmom up. He's 59, with 3 kids under 5 now. 32 years between the first and last.

Changing diapers is his retirement hobby, it seems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Help! Can't . . get back up . . .

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
at 64+ this sh-- is just plain painful --

guess I will just have to try again after I finish my next 24ml bike-- 4ml run brick :-)

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply

Prev Next