Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainerroad iOS App is out [cwhyte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cwhyte wrote:
Nate Pearson wrote:
cwhyte wrote:
Been using trainerroad with the app on my IPAD since it came out a few months ago. Now I'm considering buying sufferfest videos. If I continue to us TR with the IPAD, do I just do my best to manually start the TR sufferfest ride at the same time that I start the video, which I plan to play on my tv through the Xbox or DVD player? I just want to make sure this will work reasonably well before I buy sufferfest.

Yes, that will work. Btw, we just released a new iPad specific version to the app store last night! :)

Video support in the iOS app is on the short list of things to do right now.

Nate, thanks, what new benefits will I see from the IPAD app? Also, I'm wondering how helpful IOS video integration will be with the file size of Sufferfest videos? Is there a way to shrink the file sizes down for IOS storage, otherwise with a 16GB phone/IPAD, these videos will take a ton of file space.

You're right, it won't be very useful on a 16 gig iPad because of space constraints. You can downgrade the videos with third party software but you'll always be against size constraints with at 16 gig iOS device.

Our new iPad app is optimized for it, so it looks better and we've fixed a few core bugs too :).

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad iOS App is out [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, got Sufferfest videos and watched the first 5 minutes of one. I noticed about 4 minutes of intro before the actual start. So, if I want to manually time the videos with the start of TR (via Ipad App), do I start TR at the gunshot at the beginning of the actual video? I'm assuming I'll also disengage the TR app choice that starts the ride after sensing sensors, and instead start the TR ride manually for more precise timing. I'll take any tips on how to manually start/sync both. I hope to play the videos through an xbox one, if I can figure that out. I transferred them to an old external hard drive, and the xbox saw some old family movies, but did not see the sufferfest videos, maybe because of the directory structure. I have a new USB 3.0 thumb drive on order, which should be better. Side note, new Ipad app looks nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad iOS App is out [cwhyte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cwhyte wrote:
OK, got Sufferfest videos and watched the first 5 minutes of one. I noticed about 4 minutes of intro before the actual start. So, if I want to manually time the videos with the start of TR (via Ipad App), do I start TR at the gunshot at the beginning of the actual video? I'm assuming I'll also disengage the TR app choice that starts the ride after sensing sensors, and instead start the TR ride manually for more precise timing. I'll take any tips on how to manually start/sync both. I hope to play the videos through an xbox one, if I can figure that out. I transferred them to an old external hard drive, and the xbox saw some old family movies, but did not see the sufferfest videos, maybe because of the directory structure. I have a new USB 3.0 thumb drive on order, which should be better. Side note, new Ipad app looks nice.

You push play at the exact time the video starts. We've calculated in all the intro screens and stuff like that.

And yes, you'll want to start the ride by pushing play, that way they line up.

I'm not sure how to get videos to play on your xbox, I've never done that.

Thanks for the kind words about the iPad app! :)

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got it, thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad iOS App is out [tpero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Huh - it has worked perfectly for over a month, but keeps closing today when I try to load Goddard

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad iOS App is out [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never mind - did the iOS update and reinstalled the app and it seems fine.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Nate. I'm just curious where you guys stand with the iOS (iPhone) app. Is pretty much everything in there? I know this is a long shot but is there any way it could control the erg on my Computrainer?

Another line of questions: I have a rear disc wheel with a powertap (ant+), a garmin hr strap (ant+) and a wahoo hr strap (bluetooth), and a bontrager duotrap speed/cadence sensor (ant+ and bluetooth). If I want to just use my iphone (6) what's my best course of action: get the bluetooth smart cap for my powertap or just get an ant+ adapter (which one?) for my iphone? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad iOS App is out [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Hi Nate. I'm just curious where you guys stand with the iOS (iPhone) app. Is pretty much everything in there? I know this is a long shot but is there any way it could control the erg on my Computrainer?

Another line of questions: I have a rear disc wheel with a powertap (ant+), a garmin hr strap (ant+) and a wahoo hr strap (bluetooth), and a bontrager duotrap speed/cadence sensor (ant+ and bluetooth). If I want to just use my iphone (6) what's my best course of action: get the bluetooth smart cap for my powertap or just get an ant+ adapter (which one?) for my iphone? Thanks.

We've got a pretty big release for the iOS app being reviewed by Apple right now. It has teams/plans, power meter -> trainer control, some new live graph stuff and the ability to filter workouts like you can on the website.

We're also almost done with video support in iOS. I'd like to submit that to the app store within two weeks.

For computrainer on iOS, that would be rad!...but there's no way to do it with existing hardware. I think someone could build something that connects to the back of the CT head unit via serial and outputs BT/ANT. Until someone does that we don't have a way to control the CT on iOS.

The good news is as soon as iOS video is submitted our entire team will be working on a complete desktop revamp. We're going with native code and it's going to share the same guts as iOS. The design is almost finalized and it's looking really cool. It will also let us build a lot of features people have been asking for and take TR to the next level. I'm super duper excited about it.

For your connection, you can either get the cap or the adapter as you've said. This page has all the info about the adapters: http://support.trainerroad.com/...914-ANT-Connectivity

The ANT dongle and adapter will cost less than the BT smart cap. Plus you'll still be able to use your power tap with a Garmin head unit. I think that's a pretty good option, although either will work.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:

We've got a pretty big release for the iOS app being reviewed by Apple right now. It has teams/plans, power meter -> trainer control, some new live graph stuff and the ability to filter workouts like you can on the website.

Great!! I was about to post that question if the IOS app with power meter control would be available soon. I would love having the option of using the iPad at times rather than the laptop.
By the way PM control has been working well. I have some odd spikes now and then where resistance control locks down momentarily, but overall training is going well and has made the Kickr a worthy tool compared to its original condition. By the way these ultra brief resistance lock downs also happen in PerfPro so maybe it is hardware related.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you. It looks like I'm going to just leave the Computrainer at home and just travel with a SportCrafters Omnium and get power data off my Powertap. Going to just get the adapter like you said so I don't have to fiddle with the hub when I ride in a race/outside.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad iOS App is out [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Thank you. It looks like I'm going to just leave the Computrainer at home and just travel with a SportCrafters Omnium and get power data off my Powertap. Going to just get the adapter like you said so I don't have to fiddle with the hub when I ride in a race/outside.

Not to distract too much, but what app will you be using for the race/outside?

I recently had a vacation and used my phone with the lightning/ANT+ in my back pocket with a PT G3, but had a Garmin Edge 800 on the bar. Out of 5 days 2 of the days the Strava app failed to record continually. I am not sure what happened and did not notice until I was finished since it was in my rear pocket that it did not record the full route. I just wondered if I should use a different app next time. I used Strava for simplicity of uploading training directly from my phone. I had to wait until I returned home from the trip to upload all the data from the Garmin Edge, but I was very glad I had it with me. Since I rarely use my phone I very easily could have made a mistake using the app so it more than likely is user error.

I was just curious what app you use outside.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad iOS App is out [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll just use my Edge 510 when I race / ride outside. iPhone on the same Garmin mount for TrainerRoad when I train indoors... at least that's the plan :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So your app has been out for what, 17 months? I'm curious why you guys have not coded the Viiiiva to be compatible with the app? It is a working bridge. It just doesn't seem logical. I've been a long time customer, one of the earliest paying customers probably, but I'm going to cancel my membership.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad iOS App is out [tucktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just coming in here to say the same thing.

I have virtual power - speed numbers sort of memorized so I can look at speed on my garmin headunit, but my mental arithmetic gets a bit squirrelly much above threshold...
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad iOS App is out [drwales] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Nate

I recently bought a Tacx Neo and subscribed to Trainerroad. I am running the latest firmware on the Neo and iOS 9.2.1 on a iPhone 6 Plus.

The phone pairs to the trainer and running in non erg mode works great. I also bought the wahoo ant+ Fitness Key (and apple 9pin adapter) so that I could run it in erg mode and let TR set my resistance during workouts.

This has been little more problematic. There have been a few dropouts/ spikes / lower power than prescribed issues - but that I would expect.

The bigger issue I have faced is overheating the Neo. In my last workout before I reverted to not using erg mode there was a slow build up of a burning smell. The unit then started to drop resistance and ultimately would not provide any resistance at all.

After realizing how hot the Neo had gotten I let everything cool down. Thankfully it worked fine after it cooled of, but I no longer use the wayoo key. I just pair TR through the phone via Bluetooth. This combo works perfectly - but I lose erg mode - which I'd love to have if I can get it to work properly.

Have you seen this in testing? Any advice? The Neo does not get anywhere near as hot when I use it in this 'non-erg' mode. I am speculating here, but wondering if the motor drive was being called into service by TR and raising the actual amount of resistance the braking components had to provide. (...this is complete speculation just based on it getting so hot. I was not creating that much powe;-).

Please let me know. BTW - you guys are doing great stuff.

Paul
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear :( The Viiiiva and other bridging devices are certainly on our radar and something we plan to build into the app as quickly as possible, but we have a few other items, like updating our desktop apps as well as getting Android going, which take priority. We still have a pretty small dev shop, so taking on everything at once just isn't possible still, and sometimes great and seemingly simple things like building in bridging devices get pushed back. Our goal is to get up and running across Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android smoothly and effectively so users across all of these platforms can utilize TR and then we'll begin fine tuning and looking into the smaller details like bridging. I apologize it hasn't happened yet, but I hope you understand.

Professional Mountain Biker and Community Manager at TrainerRoad - Cycling's Most Effective Training Tool
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad iOS App is out [RFBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RFBR wrote:
Hi Nate

I recently bought a Tacx Neo and subscribed to Trainerroad. I am running the latest firmware on the Neo and iOS 9.2.1 on a iPhone 6 Plus.

The phone pairs to the trainer and running in non erg mode works great. I also bought the wahoo ant+ Fitness Key (and apple 9pin adapter) so that I could run it in erg mode and let TR set my resistance during workouts.

This has been little more problematic. There have been a few dropouts/ spikes / lower power than prescribed issues - but that I would expect.

The bigger issue I have faced is overheating the Neo. In my last workout before I reverted to not using erg mode there was a slow build up of a burning smell. The unit then started to drop resistance and ultimately would not provide any resistance at all.

After realizing how hot the Neo had gotten I let everything cool down. Thankfully it worked fine after it cooled of, but I no longer use the wayoo key. I just pair TR through the phone via Bluetooth. This combo works perfectly - but I lose erg mode - which I'd love to have if I can get it to work properly.

Have you seen this in testing? Any advice? The Neo does not get anywhere near as hot when I use it in this 'non-erg' mode. I am speculating here, but wondering if the motor drive was being called into service by TR and raising the actual amount of resistance the braking components had to provide. (...this is complete speculation just based on it getting so hot. I was not creating that much powe;-).

Paul
In Reply To:

Sorry about that! I actually haven't heard of any overheating issues with the Neo, but we can certainly look into it. Would you mind shooting us an email to support@trainerroad.com? Thanks.

Professional Mountain Biker and Community Manager at TrainerRoad - Cycling's Most Effective Training Tool
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad iOS App is out [Trevor DeRuise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know I really would like to say "I totally understand guys." But I just can't. It's been so long. You spend all this time developing the app, but you've alienated what percentage of the power meter population? It's like Polar releasing the V800 without dual ANT+/BLTE all over again.

Also, in the last few days as I have been searching for a bridging source I read multiple threads on multiples site. It sure seems that TR has a bias for Wahoo. Is there a reason for that?

Quote:
Juz wrote:
Hi Trevor,

I assume one could also use the new Wahoo TICKR to "convert" ANT+ device signals to BT for iPad and iPhones.

Cheers
Justin

Yes! This is probably going to be the best setup. This device isn't out yet though.[/quote]
Quote:
Juz wrote:
Hi Trevor,

I assume one could also use the new Wahoo TICKR to "convert" ANT+ device signals to BT for iPad and iPhones.

Cheers
Justin

Hey Justin,

Yes, the TICKR will work, we're just waiting on a bit more code from Wahoo. The RFLKT+ will be up and running first, and then we plan to work with the TICKR shortly thereafter.

-Trevor from TrainerRoad

So first Nate says the TICKR will be best.
Then you say the RFLKT will be up and running with the TICKR running shortly after. It seems like Wahoo has said GFY on the bridging part. So it seemed like you were willing to do the work for the Wahoo products, but not for the existing Viiiiva product that already existed and worked? It seems to me I would want more people to be able to use the app. Sure people could just buy the wahoo dongle plus the apple lightening adapter, but that seems like wasted money to me. I'd rather spend it on a HR strap that serves multiple purposes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
jrielley wrote:
I was trying to figure this out too but with my PowerTap. I need the Wahoo thing to connect to my iPhone 5 and I am good to go right? But this looks sweet!

Yes! You'll also need a 30 pin to lighting adapter since wahoo only has the 30 pin ANT Key.

I just bought a power tap cap that they released 2 weeks ago that transmits both ANT ant Bluetooth
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad iOS App is out [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perfect, just throw on that Bluetooth cap and you're good to go using native BT on your phone. No need for an ANT key :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear ya, man. ANT+ bridging certainly hasn’t grown like we all hoped it would have. The anticipation on our behalf (and all software companies) was to have a standard in place for ANT+ bridging, but each company has gone about implementing this in a unique way. This fragmentation has caused a lot of stability issues, and with each manufacturer handling bridging differently, it would be a massive undertaking to build for and constantly update the code for every update on every device. Not saying that we aren’t willing to do that, but as of now we haven’t taken the plunge yet.

The two bits of good news on this is that there’s still hope for a bridging standard, and above all, we’re currently revamping our device layer to be more stable and robust across ANT+ and Bluetooth to support a wider array of devices. Whether the standard goes in place for bridging or not, we hope to better support bridging down the road and this device layer revamp plays a key role in this.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tucktri wrote:
So your app has been out for what, 17 months? I'm curious why you guys have not coded the Viiiiva to be compatible with the app? It is a working bridge. It just doesn't seem logical. I've been a long time customer, one of the earliest paying customers probably, but I'm going to cancel my membership.

Hey Tucktri. Sorry we're disappointing you here. There's three reasons why we haven't gotten this done.

1) Our iOS app uses the Wahoo SDK for devices and they chose not to support the ViiIiva. We have wrote our own custom device layer with the launch of our new windows app. We're porting that layer to iOS right now so that we have full control of devices.

2) We've heard that the ViiIiva bridge doesn't work as you would expect it to. It doesn't handle all the BT profiles we use and would require custom UI and educating users on which profiles work and which do not. It also adds complexity to our code, design and education process.

3) Although there was a lot of requests when we first launch, they've died off relative to other requests (ANDROID!!!!).

So right now we're focusing on a few areas. We recently revamped our Windows app which is now released. We're working on OSX and Android right now. We're also adding the ability to pick a training plan and execute against that on both the Web and Windows/iOS (Android and OSX to come).

I know all of these statements don't help though if all you want is an ANT bridge :(.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad iOS App is out [RFBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RFBR wrote:
Hi Nate

Paul
In Reply To:

I haven't heard of the over heating. We are coming out with an iOS release (tomorrow if final testing is good) that should fix the Tacx ERG mode over bluetooth :).

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply

Prev Next