Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cost for Norseman Trip?
Quote | Reply
How much would racing Norseman cost if I got selected?

Including race entry, flight, hotels, etc? How about if you bring a significant other along?

Not counting any of the triathlon gear.

I am contemplating signing up for the lottery, but don't really see a point if it's going to set me back $4k+.....

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Cost for Norseman Trip? [tri dpt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where are you coming from? Assuming the U.S.

I raced it this year and had an awesome time. I would urge anyone interested to sign up for lottery.

But... Norway is very expensive. From U.S., at that time of year, you will be hard pressed to spend less than $2K+ on plane tickets for two. I took my bike in a Ruster Hen House and didn't have to pay for bike. If you have a case that requires bike fee...that could easily be $200-300 round trip. A rental car is a must. For a week you're talking another $600+ (for car to fit bike in, etc). Gas is another few hundred. And, unless you have Norwegian friends near the race, you HAVE to bring someone along as you will need a support crew to follow you around. Even staying at cheapest hotels... an average of $150-200 a night. Maybe you could book a cabin cheaper if you book right away. But you will need to book a room at race start. And you will need to book a room for at least one night at race finish. Food, at restaurants and grocery stores, is quite expensive. And don't exactly remember race fee...but think it's at least a few hundred.

I guess you could cut your travel time to just a few days before the race...and fly out of Oslo on Sunday night after race. But that will be quite taxing. And, also not worth experience and effort, in my opinion.

Not trying to rain on the parade - had a blast racing Norseman - but it does take $$$$ to do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remember that personal support with own (rental) car is mandatory - and you need own car to transport to/from race.

Calculation: (650NOK = 100 US $)
- Race fee: (Check web-site)
- Flight ticket to/from Oslo, Bergen or Stavanger
- Hotel/stay before start: 700-1500NOK each night for double room/cabin. (Depends on what place you find, hotel or simpler lodging. Need to book early, race start and finish are located in small places.)
- Hotel/stay after finish: 700-1500NOK each night.
- Rental car: 1000-1500 NOK/day (might get cheaper rent-a-wrek)
+ Food, gasoline - at least 1000km driving (calculate 2X US costs)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it in 2012 and yes, it is expensive. But, there are certain options to cut costs.

I had the luxury of driving my own car, which eliminated car rental + flight costs (i drove from Austria straight to the start).
During race week I stayed in a cabin 20km away from the start
I packed a lot of food in my car to avoid supermarket shopping as food is extremely expensive in Norway

Still, it set me back around 2000 Euros. But it was definitely worth the experience!

----------------------------
2012: Norseman. I'm done.
Quote Reply