Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Sea to Summit Triathlon is back.... [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes two hikers can use the same Sherpa,but only with my permission prior. Why not the toll road? Good question. Probably because
1. Other people have done it
2. The Ravine is so unique how could you not go up it.
3. There is no way they would let me shut it down as it is prime traffic season and there is no way they would risk letting 100 runners go up it next to the cars. The reason for this is because of the people driving down it. It is one scary road.
Quote Reply
Re: Sea to Summit Triathlon is back.... [Jeff Spicoli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
About the bike course - is their too much climbing for a full TT set-up?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeff Spicoli wrote:
Also, this race is sanctioned through USAT. Its for insurance reasons.

Bummer. And Dev,the fact that this race doesn't go up the auto road is one of the main factors why I would consider it. Probably a lot of others as well.

Edit to add : The bike race isn't USAC sanctioned, call their insurance agent!
Last edited by: talking head: Nov 2, 14 17:18
Quote Reply
Re: Sea to Summit Triathlon is back.... [talking head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
talking head wrote:
Jeff Spicoli wrote:
Also, this race is sanctioned through USAT. Its for insurance reasons.

Bummer. And Dev,the fact that this race doesn't go up the auto road is one of the main factors why I would consider it. Probably a lot of others as well.

Edit to add : The bike race isn't USAC sanctioned, call their insurance agent!

All fair. Just pointing out that the toll road is well known in the North America endurance sport community whereas the ravine is largely only know to locals + skier + hikers. But I see the attraction for that (not to mention the logistics challenge).

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Sea to Summit Triathlon is back.... [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DC Pattie wrote:
About the bike course - is their too much climbing for a full TT set-up?

If you have a full TT setup, use it. It will be faster. Even the toughest part of the climb in Pinkham notch isn't too steep (but it is steep and long -- you'll be out of the saddle). The bulk of the riding will have lots of opportunities for time trialing -- actually some really great TT stretches in there -- and many longer, gently-graded climbs where you'd probably stay in aero. I would use an 11-28 cassette (with my 53/39 crank).

Edit: it looks like about 4,000 feet of climbing over the 95 miles.
Last edited by: AG Tri Newbie: Nov 2, 14 19:39
Quote Reply
Re: Sea to Summit Triathlon is back.... [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the "run" portion on the trail -- it's a wide trail at the bottom, but very rocky. Then it is more vertical, technical, and narrower, before getting to the final mile and a half that is all moving from rock to rock.

If I were doing it for speed:
- I would wear something like a Salomon Speed Cross or La Sportiva Helios trail racer (or similar -- those are my go-to shoes).
- I might wear ankle sleeves.
- I'd actually use hiking poles even though I am a decent runner (sub 18 5k, 1:26 half marathon). I think they would make most people faster and safer -- even people who are good runners. I think only truly elite runners would be faster without them. This assumes that those using them have practiced & trained "power-hiking" with them.

Even though it's not the same as a run up the auto road, it would be a very tough and incredibly exhilarating race that would really push you to your limits -- without a lot of impact!

Also, you'd never want to run the road with cars there -- too dangerous!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did this race as my first long distance endurance race in 2004; you are fine with full TT set up. The mountain is absolutely epic; and once the first 5-6 athletes have gone up, hikers become aware of whats going on and becoming amazing spectators and really cheer you on!

Kat Donatello
2015 Betty Designs Team
RD, The Pumpkinman Triathlon Festival
http://www.pumpkinmantriathlon.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would like to see this race come back with the same format as the original----KAYAK, bike, run.

CST
Quote Reply
Re: Sea to Summit Triathlon is back.... [Can'tSwimTim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can'tSwimTim wrote:
I would like to see this race come back with the same format as the original----KAYAK, bike, run.

very glad this is making a comeback, but i too vote for the kayak! i remember originally though surfskis weren't allowed, what was the logic behind that? too fast? too good? too awesome? sea kayak is to surfski like hybrid is to TT bike
i wont be around that weekend so i'm bummed , it should be a great event! might be cold up there in june though. i did a 25 mile ride to pinkham, then run up tux trail to summit , then ran down and rode home... in august and it was freezing at the top! definitely bring layers!
Quote Reply
Re: Sea to Summit Triathlon is back.... [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Being one of a couple of people who have done both Norseman and the original Sea to Summit more than once, I can say the reborn Sea to Summit 2.0 won't be as challenging as a Norseman, but it will be unique and a lot of fun!

The original race, with the kayak, took finishers between about 8 and 12 hours, with bike times of about 4 to occasionally 6 hours. The kayak from the Atlantic Ocean to the transition area took 1.5 to 2.5 hours, usually closer to 2 (the current in the Piscatauqua River can be significant, and was a big factor in 2004 leading to 2.5 hour river legs). I expect the swim will take less time than the kayak used to, and without tightening up your hamstrings in a kayak for a couple of hours, your bike should feel better too. The bike isn't that hilly, and an aero set up will help. I was geared for flat terrain each year and never felt like it hurt me enough to change it. The run/hike up Mt. Washington used to take competitors 2:10 to 4+ hours, including the 4.4 miles on the road before you got to Pinkham Notch. Coming the other way from Wildcat this year it will be a little shorter on the road. You can definitely run the first part of the trail if you are used to that kind of thing. It is rocky, but doable. I'm not a great trail runner, and I ran it two years out of three, I think. The ravine eventually is too steep and rocky to do much beyond a hike. And weather changes on Mt. Washington can be unpredictable - I've seen everything from beautiful sun to fog and sleet, all in the span of about 30 minutes up there - in the summer! One year, the race had to divert us up a different trail because there was too much snow in the ravine to use that trail - in July. When the visibility closes in due to fog, you won't want to move too quickly. But the mountain trail is the cool part about the race, and what will make it unique each year.

If you are looking for a non-traditional tri that usually draws a good group of competitors, I'd sign up!
Quote Reply
Re: Sea to Summit Triathlon is back.... [SBR+1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBR-1....great review. You are spot on with your assessment. Thanks. I am psyched as we just got Hokas for the top three males and females.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the scoop with "recommended" bike course? Are there alternatives one would choose, and if so, why?
Quote Reply
Re: Sea to Summit Triathlon is back.... [trifreemc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like a great race. I am also wondering about the bike course - will the "recommended" turns be marked or staffed at all?
Quote Reply
Re: Sea to Summit Triathlon is back.... [Lloyd_Christmas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bike course is not marked or staffed as there is no set course. Its part of the fun. The reaction to this has been amusing. Most love the challenge of something different but there is a minority who somehow find fault in everything. Kinda funny. In short, do a recon of the recommended course, use Google maps, have your Sherpa waiting ahead on the one or two confusing intersections, and enjoy the day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeff Spicoli wrote:
The bike course is not marked or staffed as there is no set course. Its part of the fun. The reaction to this has been amusing. Most love the challenge of something different but there is a minority who somehow find fault in everything. Kinda funny. In short, do a recon of the recommended course, use Google maps, have your Sherpa waiting ahead on the one or two confusing intersections, and enjoy the day.

It seems like folks traveling from outside the area are seriously disadvantage. I'd think some simple chalking might be a good thing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The whole point is that there is no "one way" to Wildcat. There's the "shortest" route, which may not be the "fastest" route.

It's your and your team's job to figure out where to go. You know, kinda like adventure racing. Part of the fun is figuring out how to get from point A to point B.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeff Spicoli wrote:

I love it.. let me say that again, I LOVE IT..

I have already spent hours on google maps and mapmyride.. And I won't even be able to race until 2016!!

Is it draft legal? (in other words, can I bring a buddy and do it together?).

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't been this fired up for a race in a long time! This is going to be wild, thanks for putting this together! The stories when all is said and done will be phenomenal.
Quote Reply
Re: Sea to Summit Triathlon is back.... [Aust1227] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's going to be USAT sanctioned, so I would assume the long-course rules would apply.

Quote Reply
Re: Sea to Summit Triathlon is back.... [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
It's going to be USAT sanctioned, so I would assume the long-course rules would apply.

It's not going to be USAT sanctioned if there's no set bike course. One of those two stated facts by Jeff Spicoli will have to give.
Quote Reply
Re: Sea to Summit Triathlon is back.... [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point.

Still think it should be non-drafting. Part of the adventure is having to do all the work yourself (well, with your sherpa).

Quote Reply
Re: Sea to Summit Triathlon is back.... [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
since the bike is "choose your own adventure" could you do that on the run too? not talking about the summit road because it is closed to runners, but what about lions head trail? i'm not sure on which is shorter. just throwing it out there, might be interesting to see if people choose different routes to the summit.
http://www.everytrail.com/...on/mt-washington/map
Quote Reply
Re: Sea to Summit Triathlon is back.... [jflan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is the issue with your own route to the top. The mountain is deadly, especially if you are fatigued. We have almost lost people (like dead lost) in the past. We are going to have a check point that is closely monitored that all the athletes must pass through before they reach the headwall of Tucks. We will then have qualified volunteers sweeping the trail all the way to the summit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quick question for you: saw that 16 is banned under the recommended route instructions. From where to where is 16 banned, as you obviously have to ride on it from Conway through Jackson, etc. Just trying to look at some alternative routes to Conway.

Quote Reply

Prev Next