Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

P2sl
Quote | Reply
After a few years away, I'm going to get back into triathlon again this year (70.3, possibly IM)
I have a P2SL that's in good shape but must be at least 8 or 9 years old by now.
I'm just curious whether people think "time has passed this bike by" or whether it's still a solid ride compared to newer generation of tri bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: P2sl [fxjeffrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got one. If I get back into tris, I figure I'm giving up 3-4 minutes to the latest generation of superbikes in a 70.3

Given that my run needs far more work than that, I'm not really interested in the latest and greatest. If I was good enough to potentially podium, then I'd consider upgrading, but at the MOP, I don't really care. I'd actually rather keep my equipment reasonably consistent, that way I know how much "I" have improved.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Difference maybe 2ish minutes per 40k.
See this and the link therein.

The P2sl is a great bike but I just bought a new P2 to replace mine.
Of course I probably would have been better served by spending the money to fly somewhere and get a world class fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a P1 which I think is the same as p2sl. It is about 1.5 to to 2 minutes slower in 40k than my p4 for same position.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the best bikes ever. I managed to snag a NOS 2006 P2SL, pretty sure I'll keep it longer than any other other bike.

Yes, you are giving up 2-4sec/km to the super bikes, but you'll have the coolest bike in transition. And it's fun to pass folks on the newest stuff with older tech.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fxjeffrey wrote:
I'm just curious whether people think "time has passed this bike by" or whether it's still a solid ride compared to newer generation of tri bikes.

Like others have said, it's not the fastest bike out there. But if it works for you, it's plenty good to race. I just took my P2K to fastest bike split and overall win (also had the fastest men's swim, so that helps) in a olympic. I would have been faster on a new frame, but there wasn't a higher step on the podium to climb to so in this case, it didn't matter. Didn't ride a disc either (gasp). If SuperDave hooks me up with a DA pro-bono, I'll gladly hop on (IA likely isn't the best fit for me), but since there's no sponsorship support, I'd rather drop the money on more important things. Already got a bike (or 5), I don't need another one.
Quote Reply
Re: P2sl [xc800runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still rock'n an old P2K as well and I don't feel like it's significantly holding me back. The $100 I spent on a new PI Octane trisuit this season probably made me faster than spending $4K+ on a new bike. $100 for a wheel cover would probably make just as big a difference as well, depending on what wheels you're currently riding.

If you really want a new bike, go for it. But if your current one fits you well and is still in good shape, keep it and don't worry about it. A new "superbike" isn't going to make that big of a difference.
Quote Reply
Re: P2sl [BarelyTri'n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarelyTri'n wrote:
$100 for a wheel cover would probably make just as big a difference as well, depending on what wheels you're currently riding.

I'm on Aeolus 6.5's, so not exactly box rim training wheels. I field tested my Zipp 900 at ~0.2 mph faster than a xlab tri spoke and deemed I'd rather have the 700 I sold it for. Just didn't seem to be worth the money having it sit in a box in the garage. Then I picked up the 6.5 rear to match the front I already had for ~500. I now have a solid set of road race wheels. The xlab is a disc conversion in progress. Going to get some colored kevlar cloth to match the bike and fill in the gaps. I figure the hub will lose a couple watts over the zipp, but aero should be about on par.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was about to post the same thread asking something very similar

I have a P2SL from 2007 and was wondering how much time I would gain by upgrading to a newer bike i.e. new Cervelo p2 or trek speed concept 7.0? I am aiming to race 70.3's for this coming season
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: P2sl [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did have a great time at IM Mont Tremblant passing someone on a P5 on that last hilly section of the course
Quote Reply
Re: P2sl [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Every time I see that, I'm a bit skeptical of the zero yaw results. That's a huge difference in Cd for little more than a seat tube and stays.
Quote Reply
Re: P2sl [xc800runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xc800runner wrote:
Every time I see that, I'm a bit skeptical of the zero yaw results. That's a huge difference in Cd for little more than a seat tube and stays.

I suspect it is a bit much too, but then it may not be zero yaw

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fxjeffrey wrote:
After a few years away, I'm going to get back into triathlon again this year (70.3, possibly IM)
I have a P2SL that's in good shape but must be at least 8 or 9 years old by now.

I still have mine from 2008. Love it, and really can get faster in other things (weight loss, running training, swim training) for it to really make a difference. The one thing that I can say that I changed I don't use the seat tube placement for my water bottle anymore, because we all know that is definitely not aero. I now use the aerobar ziptie location for sprints and olympics, and if I was doing anything longer, then I'd use a rear mounted system as well, but completely leave the center clean. I also know that my power could get stronger before a new bike frame would do me any good.
Quote Reply