Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: how to complete an Ironman without running or walking? [ski_babie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"you can see that my choices for sporting activities are quite limited now."

I think the problem is that you are the one "seeing" the limited options. You can swim and bike as much as you want...there are about a million different things you can do with either of those two alone.

Quote Reply
Re: how to complete an Ironman without running or walking? [tom1111] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, my sister (my little sister) amazes me too. What impresses me most is not her achievements, but more her attitude. Life is full of flaming hoops that we have to jump through. She knows that regardless of what she wants, the hurdles remain and her hurdles might be worse than some other people might have, but she still has to jump them. She doesn't see lifes obstables as road blocks, but as opportunities to be cunning or clever or whatever. I have less hurdles than her, but we both have the same attitude. Decide what you want to achieve, then figure out a way to achieve it.

I'm just glad she hasn't managed to beat my best time! LOL

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: how to complete an Ironman without running or walking? [ski_babie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have a guy here in NZ, and he's bit of a legend. Garth Barfoot. He's about a million years old and being doing tri for ages. He owns a large local real estate company and while I think he still works, I think collecting cheques and rallying the troops are his main tasks. (Garth, sorry if I'm wrong)

Anyway, he races everything, but being close to 80 now, he's not exactly fast. He is fast-ish for his age and he's such a positive, down to earth great guy.

A few months back, while out riding in the neighbourhood he got hit by a motorist and in addition to road rash, he also broke his hip! They elected to give him a hip replacement. Normally a hip replacement means no more running. Garth asked the surgeon if he was allowed to run after the operation. The surgeons response was "Mr Barfoot, I think you're old enough to decide that for yourself"

ski-babie, how old are you? Who said you're not allowed to run? What will allegedly happen if you run (and how far would you need to run for it to be an issue?)? What braces or aids or whatever, could you use to allow some/more running, while reducing the risk of whatever bad stuff might happen? Could you just go to a doctor who is also a runner. I have found that most docs go with the simple answer when presented with an issue, but sympathetic sports docs are more solution oriented.

For example, back in 1998 about a month before IMNZ I tweaked my achillies and self treated for 2 weeks with no improvement. With less than a week to go, I went to my sports doc. His first words to me were "Since you're here, I assume you still want to race" Yes I replied. He examined me, told me to take the rest of the week off work, and rotate through various sports people. Accupuncture, massage, electro therapy etc etc. He also happened to be the medical director for the race and said he would have some tape, anti inflamatories and pain killers for me (just me) if I needed them. He told me where he'd be stationed at various times, gave me his mobile number and said call if I needed. He did whatever the could to get me racing. Thankfully (sort of) I suffered an unrelated injury (thanks to a broken back in a much earlier ski accident) so ended up walking a lot of the marathon. I didn't need his help on race day but knowing he had my back was a huge relief and allowed me to get to the start line in as good shape as possible.

I don't know what your situation is, but look for a doctor who can help you achieve your goals, and not just the internet doctors here on ST :-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: how to complete an Ironman without running or walking? [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a girl close to your age, and having felt that distance running was the only thread holding my sanity together and the only good thing in my life, fractures-be-damned; please understand that I get your pain.

But I'm also a PT now, and see the other side of destroyed knees and noncompliance.

If you must, get properly fitted for walking crutches and get some help on creating a new gait that doesn't include ANY load-bearing on your injured knee. Give that cartilage a real, honest chance to heal - adjust your timeframe to years, not weeks or months.
Quote Reply
Re: how to complete an Ironman without running or walking? [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridork wrote:
I don't know what your situation is, but look for a doctor who can help you achieve your goals, and not just the internet doctors here on ST :-)

This exactly. And do not be afraid to go to several doctors until you find one who understands your goals and can help you find a way to achieve them. Don't every give up on your dream, find a way, a sensible solution, to make it happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you had surgery yet? Doctors are wrong sometimes you know.

I would train swim/bike and maybe do some non-impact type running style exercise (ie. water running, ellipse, roller blading, etc.) and see how far it takes you. You may want to give yourself at least 2 years after surgery to make sure you have regained your strength.

And no skiing, baby!!

Keep the dream alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about a bionic leg. Not kidding. Brought to you by Alter-G, makers of the "anti-gravity" treadmill.

http://www.alterg.com/...leg/consumer#content
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everything that tridork says about finding a doctor who will help you achieve your goals. Talk now about PT, strength training, brace-options, etc. etc.. If you have a year and a half or so before the race, then you have a good amount of time to make magic happen. Don't let your doc be your excuse... I'm pretty sure this forum is filled with a few stories of how people have gone from total paralysis to doing a 140.6 with the support of their doctors (and others).

P.S. From personal experience, it helps if your doctor(s) are also endurance athletes. Or even former ones. They're more likely to "get" your need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me join the crowd of "why not".

I can fully understand that you have emotionally invested in getting this done. So find a way. Mother of Invention and all that.
For the last several months I have been dealing with a similar situation, that starts with the words "stop doing ........" (there's a list)

Usually, when people use those words it's along with the words, drinking, smoking and eating.
To be told to stop competing, that's harder to swallow (pun intended).

As being pig headed is part of the description of people who do any distance up to IM. Go for it and enjoy it.
There will be consequences, but sometimes even that is worth it.

Come back and tell us.
Quote Reply

Prev Next