Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: hot yoga vs 'normal' yoga [cme18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your yoga experience is 100% based on the instructor & another 100% based on the "type" of yoga you do....there are many, many types. "Flow" is a deceptive word now...vinyasa is about the flow of the postures from position to position in a generally organized manner.

Bikram is always hot, but true bikram is also a set flow of 28 movements with no deviation. They're typically held for 6-9 breaths or longer. The locking knee thing is prevalent in bikram. (I'm not about to pretend I understand why..)

Power yoga is usually a vinyasa flow based on strength & flexibility-building postures, may or may not be hot.

Ashtanga is another good example, it uses a lot of movement, I often call it "jumpy yoga"

There are deviations within each, too. I practice Baptiste-style, which is a hot power-based vinyasa. There's a general set of "series" that we do in each practice but each instructor varies the actual poses, transitions, lengths, etc. These are the types of variations that are typical in the different "types" of yoga. Before the season I practiced about 5-7x/wk, but I backed that way down when I picked up the outdoor training. As someone else said, when you do it right it takes a lot out of you. I hit 90-minute classes every chance I get and it's a helluva workout.

You sweat out crap, that's normal....we all know that. Sweating that much causes you to flush your system faster. If you're doing it right you also drink a boatload of water, which aids in the process. Come to any beginner's hot yoga class & you can tell the people that are "new" because of the way their bodies smell. I know it sounds like a bunch of fluff, but it's true.

The emotional/spiritual effects of yoga have to be "wanted"...it's not like running where you get more fit as you do it more whether you want to or not...if you continue with yoga you'll get more flexible (as long as you don't overdo it) and if it's hot yoga you'll probably become better at "suffering" through heat...but if you want to reach a calmer, more deliberate and present state, you have to do the work inside your head during the classes as well. Learn to be still, learn to coordinate your movements & breathing, learn to quiet your mind & "stay for the exhale"....only then will it have a bigger impact. If you're just going to yoga to get more flexible, just go buy a DVD & practice in your living room. If you want more out of it, try throwing your head & your heart into a class & not just your body.

If you're a really heavy sweater, some electrolytes might not be a bad idea, but don't overthink it. Just be.

AW
Quote Reply
Re: hot yoga vs 'normal' yoga [The Kraut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Way more fun than yoga. Make you strong and flexible.

Stretching doesn't really help you anyway. In my experience I find a direct correlation between stretching/yoga and getting injured. I'll start a mild yoga routine and with two weeks something blows.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply

Prev Next