Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: recommendations for Cervelo and Power Meter? [William Ockham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
William Ockham wrote:
ttusomeone wrote:
My bad...I didn't realize you were the king of all things power. I clearly don't know what I'm talking about and should go ahead and sell my power meter.

No need to sell it.

Here is an example of how you can use a power meter.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?id=powerstern

I don't know if Ric Stern still uses this test and levels, I post it only as an example.

It does seem though that most people these days use Dr Coggan's system.

I'm only pointing out that there are other ways of using a power meter for training.

Here is another example of what is available.

http://physfarm.com/new/?page_id=866

So you say I'm incorrect when I stated that you get more benefit from a power meter when you review the data, but then post two examples of ways to test and use levels to get more benefit from a power meter?
Quote Reply
Re: recommendations for Cervelo and Power Meter? [ttusomeone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ttusomeone wrote:
As I'm sure other will mention the benefits of a power meter decrease if you aren't downloading your data. At the very least she'll need to figure out her FTP to see any real value from it. Otherwise you could argue training with HR could be just as beneficial. As far as power meter options, you can easily find lists of all the ones available. For what you're wanting they will all be similar, so it will likely come down to cost. I would imagine with the Ultegra crank you are going to have to buy a BB adapter also so that's an added cost. It might be cheaper to get a powertap laced into her existing wheelset (you didn't say if she had race wheels vs. training wheels). If she didn't do a lot of indoor rides you could also look at an iBike...or the new 4iii which would work on her existing crankset.

You don't need to figure out FTP to get real value from power meter data.
Quote Reply
Re: recommendations for Cervelo and Power Meter? [William Ockham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
William Ockham wrote:
[

You don't need to base your training off any power numbers. It may well be a good approach. There are other approaches.

Not what you said here - you may want to keep your story straight captain power.
Quote Reply
Re: recommendations for Cervelo and Power Meter? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for your insights. Based on your feedback, we are going to get something that allows us to download the data and combine it with a training plan around improving performance through FTP. (We are up here in Canada and so outside riding is challenges in the winter) My wife used to be a personal trainer and works in the finance field, so she's pretty good at analytics and is great at following a schedule. Re the meter, I ended up upgrading her cranks to Ultegra and ordering a Stages. We're on track for our 8th Ironman 2015 in Lake Placid, I guess it's time we turned from Iron tourists to more intense athletes. haha Thanks for the links too - will check them out.
Quote Reply
Re: recommendations for Cervelo and Power Meter? [RHBDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RHBDave wrote:
Thanks everyone for your insights. Based on your feedback, we are going to get something that allows us to download the data and combine it with a training plan around improving performance through FTP. (We are up here in Canada and so outside riding is challenges in the winter) My wife used to be a personal trainer and works in the finance field, so she's pretty good at analytics and is great at following a schedule. Re the meter, I ended up upgrading her cranks to Ultegra and ordering a Stages. We're on track for our 8th Ironman 2015 in Lake Placid, I guess it's time we turned from Iron tourists to more intense athletes. haha Thanks for the links too - will check them out.

Doesn't matter how good you are at analysing the data - if you only have data for one leg you will always be guessing.
Quote Reply
Re: recommendations for Cervelo and Power Meter? [RHBDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi RHBDave,

we have put a series of relatively short and simple introduction to power posts on our site: http://www.power2max.com/...-with-a-power-meter/

The first post is at the bottom. It's by no means a definitive guide to riding with power, but might make an easy introduction.

Have fun out there!

Best
Nicolas

---
power2max
http://www.power2max.com/northamerica
official power meter of Movistar Team
Quote Reply

Prev Next