Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Weight matters in men, not so much in women [clairec2007] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
clairec2007 wrote:

Sounds like you guys had some issues to hash out before you got married.

18 years now and doing just fine.

Totally off topic now but if anyone expects their spouse to stay the same forever and not have new issues come up, then they are woefully unprepared for marriage.

Marriage can be work sometimes and folks need to be prepared to work at it instead of calling it quits whenever things aren't easy.

And again, as I said above, my wife is well worth working for.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight matters in men, not so much in women [Ty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ty wrote:

Are you the bread winner? Do you want to be?

-Yes I am the primary bread winner.

It is not ridiculous and you can believe that many people still have this view in 2014. It is not a backward view or antiquated view. It is a logical realistic opinion. Yes we can share them here. I am sure you are able to entertain an opinion that disagrees with yours. Sorry if this bothers you.

-No this does not bother me. I don't mind someone sharing their opinion. Just as no one should mind me refuting it or disagreeing.
Last edited by: tinytri: Oct 29, 14 7:19
Quote Reply
Re: Weight matters in men, not so much in women [tinytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tinytri wrote:
Ty wrote:

Are you the bread winner? Do you want to be?

-Yes I am the primary bread winner.

It is not ridiculous and you can believe that many people still have this view in 2014. It is not a backward view or antiquated view. It is a logical realistic opinion. Yes we can share them here. I am sure you are able to entertain an opinion that disagrees with yours. Sorry if this bothers you.

-No this does not bother me. I don't mind someone sharing their opinion. Just as no one should mind me refuting it or disagreeing.

its not that females are stay at home moms. the depth of high level females in triathlon is not there. But look at the world of marathon running and fields are getting stacked for females. Also with swimming. Perhaps it is the bike sponsors fault for not pushing women to ride more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tinitri but it obviously did bother you. By the tone of your response. . your almost spitting out your coffee. your "it's a ridiculous viewpoint" and "do people in 2014 still think like this"

It seems like you want to put down people with disagree with you. At least by the tone of your post.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight matters in men, not so much in women [Daremo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Daremo wrote:
Ty wrote:
Unfortunate is still in your sentence.

I agree with the other poster. It is a fortunate thing that females get to stay home with their children. Bottom line is having children is a choice.
A female can't say I want kids but they get in the way of my athletic goals. No one can have it all.

Most females do not in fact want to be the primary bread winner. In some ways they have more time to train and pursue athletic goals than males.

Anddddddd here we go ............ open flood gates in 3 .... 2 .... 1 .......

Can't argue with a fact.

My triathlon training blog
Quote Reply
Re: Weight matters in men, not so much in women [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Francois wrote:
[insert picture of Michael Jackson eating pop corn]

Here you go:

Me:

hey, quit hogging all the popcorn. pass some down....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Weight matters in men, not so much in women [Ty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm.. nope. I responded that I was spitting out my coffee because it literally made me laugh out loud.

I am not here to put anyone down, but just was expressing my opinion.
Apologies if you misunderstood my tone.
Last edited by: tinytri: Oct 29, 14 11:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tinytri wrote:
Hmm.. nope. I responded that I was spitting out my coffee because it literally made me laugh out loud.

I am not here to put anyone down, but just was expressing my opinion.
Apologies if you misunderstood my tone.

Little lady, stop trying to argue with a logical fact. WTH?!

My triathlon training blog
Quote Reply
Re: Weight matters in men, not so much in women [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Robert wrote:
You do not understand competition. Try another word.

Sorry Bob but it looks like it is YOU that does not understand what the word 'competition' means - although lots of folk on this thread trying to help you out:)
Even most 10 yearolds understand the term competition and how it relates to the number of competitors. My nephew was excited to tell me the other day how he won a 2 k race at school but was quick to follow up with ' but there were only 14 other kids in the race'
:)

Quote Reply
Re: Weight matters in men, not so much in women [tejanatab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Weight matters in men, not so much in women [f_ahsile04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
f_ahsile04 wrote:
It's great that you guys have stay at home wives that take care of your kids, but a large number of women also have jobs (I work 12hr shifts nights and weekends). For those families where both spouses work (equal breadwinners) a lot of times the women work AND have to do the majority of household/child duties... rarely is it equal and THAT is what I am referring to as being unfortunate. Sure kids are rewarding (that's what I'm told) but when it comes to family responsibilities women typically bear the brunt of responsibility even if they are also working. This disproportionate sharing of responsibility is certainly reflected when looking at the competitiveness and depth of the 25-40yr old female field in triathlon. Many women accept the traditional role and responsibilities when it comes to children and can no longer maintain their participation and performance in the sport to the same levels as thier male counterparts. Understand this is a choice they make but this is a reason why the female field has a much wider range of abilities as talent and potential are lost within the sport when other responsibilities take the forefront. This isn't as prevalent in the men's field (they may have stay at home wives that allow them to pursue their athletic goals in their free time while they care for the children.) I'd rather work and have a stay at home husband who could take care of the kids while I get my workouts in... but that's not going to happen. Most of the top women's field are single or married without children for a reason.

Gina Crawford has a stay home husband who looks after their kids...
Quote Reply
Re: Weight matters in men, not so much in women [clairec2007] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reading this was the best part of my day. Thank you.

Quote | Reply
I don't know if you saw any of the female Kona pros in the top-15 in person, but the words "relatively fat" shouldn't really be used to describe any of them. I was really impressed by how fit almost all of the female pros looked. If anything, there were way more male pros that didn't look to be in the best shape.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight matters in men, not so much in women [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not that anyone cares but:
I am a single parent with sole custody of two children and a reasonably good professional career.
Work and child-care duties definitely limit my ability to do triathlon.
I do have a huge hidden advantage though.

That advantage- complete flexibility.
I would rather not shop for clothes, watch a lot of TV, clean the windows, do yard work, talk about my spouses feelings.
And I DO NOT do these things.

Some married men can get out of doing this stuff and do lots of triathlon stuff. This might be a little unfair, however, in that the triathletes interests end up consuming a huge amount of collective time. There are probably fewer women that are afforded this degree of flexibility.

This might account for greater depth in male amateur athletic fields.
It does not explain the nature of pro fields though.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight matters in men, not so much in women [PUTU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PUTU wrote:
Or just giving y'all something to thing about. Everyone is always talking about weight, weight, weight without taking other things into effect. I think body fat % would be a better indicator where most are about the same. For example the weight of Carfrae and Ryf is about 32 pounds difference yet they finish about 2 minutes apart. Is that not competitive? Or does one need to compare other things such as height/BMI/body fat to really compare the two?

Honestly to me it is similar to watts/kg, when you really dig down to it you can always conclude something. There is a reason why the 30th ranked girl was not as competitive as the top five.

They reached the finish line in completely different ways and the advantage of one athlete over the other was due more to the distance of each discipline and conditions. On a windy, flat but cool IMFL, I'm not sure Rinny can close the gap on Ryf. If the race was only a 20 mile run or a longer 5k swim, she probably doesn't have enough time to close the gap on the run.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Weight matters in men, not so much in women [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
I don't know if you saw any of the female Kona pros in the top-15 in person, but the words "relatively fat" shouldn't really be used to describe any of them. I was really impressed by how fit almost all of the female pros looked. If anything, there were way more male pros that didn't look to be in the best shape.

I assure you I saw none of them. I couldn't name a professional female triathlete if my life depended on it, probably not a male one either.
Quote Reply

Prev Next