Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Altra vs Hoka [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Constant will be a neutral platform that provides support through the active foot frame (the sidewall wrap). Basically, the Constant, like many of our shoes, should be supportive if you need it, neutral if you don't. The Constant should be even more supportive, if necessary, than our previous models, and should also have a roomier fit.

EnderWiggan wrote:
Sounds like the "Constant" is a stability shoe whereas the Altra's are more neutral...

TriBodyboarder wrote:
apache wrote:
...FYI, the new Bondi4 is supposed to have a wide feet version as well (January 2015?). Hope this helps.

GG

Hoka is coming out with a shoe called the "Constant" in 2015.From Runblogger's site:

"Description via HOKA: “The new Constant road shoe offers the most stable ride and generous fit in the HOKA lineup. The combination of cushioning EVA and RMAT® high-rebound material delivers guided stability and increased durability, while an over-sized active foot frame provides support. A mono-wrap tongue coupled with asymmetrical lacing supports the foot through the arch while reducing pressure across the top of the foot. The Constant will be available at specialty running stores for a suggested retail price of $160.”"

Hoka One One - Field Service Rep
Last edited by: ZackP: Oct 29, 14 9:03
Quote Reply
Re: Altra vs Hoka [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never run in the conquest, but I found the paradigm stiffer than any of the Hokas, except for that Rapa nui. I found those two to be more comparable.
Quote Reply
Re: Altra vs Hoka [fe_dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you currently run in kinvaras and want more padding, its bigger (and more cushioned) brother - Cortana, has been great for me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
If I were Hoka I'd copy the toe box of Altra and you'd have an amazing shoe.

This!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: Altra vs Hoka [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBodyboarder wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:

This!

x3.

I've had the Hoka Bondi 2s, Stinson Tarmac, and Mafate, and never found a good toe box fit. I did a 3.5 day adventure race in the Stinsons (last year) and Mafates (this year), and wound up with pretty good blisters from the narrow toe box both times. Especially the Mafates.

After that, I bought a pair of Altra's The One (or whatever) on sale. I like the wide toe box, but it may be too wide. Sometimes it feels like you could add a couple of extra toes in there and be fine. But the squish is nowhere near the Hokas. It is much firmer.

The Stinsons were the best 'wide toe-box' fit I found for Hokas, and my next pair will likely be the trail Stinsons (since I run most on trails...duh).

I do like the motion control aspect of the Altras. I assume Hoka will get around to making some form of motion control shoe in the future, based on market demand. I don't completely buy their "it's only the squish that matters' argument on that issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 10+ runs / 50 miles in Altra Olympus and for me the shoe is just ... Weird.
Cush, yes. Traction is great. But I'm not sold.
... I have been in standard shoes, most Saucony (Ride-Guide-Triumph & Mirage) for 5 years, with a pair each of Asics 2000, Speedstar & Brooks Ghost thrown in.

Everything hurts more than it used to (I'll be 45 soon) so I am looking for more cushion. Not sure what's next. The new Triumph has 20% more cush so I may just try that before I go to something "weirder" like Hokas ...
Quote Reply
Re: Altra vs Hoka [thatsethguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thatsethguy wrote:
TriBodyboarder wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:

This!

x3.

I've had the Hoka Bondi 2s, Stinson Tarmac, and Mafate, and never found a good toe box fit. I did a 3.5 day adventure race in the Stinsons (last year) and Mafates (this year), and wound up with pretty good blisters from the narrow toe box both times. Especially the Mafates.

After that, I bought a pair of Altra's The One (or whatever) on sale. I like the wide toe box, but it may be too wide. Sometimes it feels like you could add a couple of extra toes in there and be fine. But the squish is nowhere near the Hokas. It is much firmer.

The Stinsons were the best 'wide toe-box' fit I found for Hokas, and my next pair will likely be the trail Stinsons (since I run most on trails...duh).

I do like the motion control aspect of the Altras. I assume Hoka will get around to making some form of motion control shoe in the future, based on market demand. I don't completely buy their "it's only the squish that matters' argument on that issue.

x4!!!

Totally agree. The reasons I like the new Bondi 3 is for the toe box. Not too sure 'why' the toe box on the rest are so friggin narrow. Stinson and Huaka...time to allow for some foot splay. It is obviously their market is for ultra distance runners...why may the shoe so narrow?
Quote Reply
Re: Altra vs Hoka [SdB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you get crazy heel slipping?

My Olympuses came today, and the toe fits the way it is supposed to, but my heel slips a ton...I can actually slip the shoe right off my foot.

Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine felt a little big at first also. I make sure I am running in slightly grippier socks and I have the laces fairly tight. I vary between a 10.5 and 11 in most shoes. I am in a size 11 in the Olympus. Have you tried them on a treadmill? if they are truly too big you hopefully you can try to size down half a size.
Quote Reply
Re: Altra vs Hoka [SdB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I usually run in an 8 (yes, small feet....like hooves), but I ordered an 8.5 because I heard they ran small.

I ordered an 8. I'll try them both on the mill before I wear them outside.

Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Re: Altra vs Hoka [thatsethguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thatsethguy wrote:
TriBodyboarder wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:

This!

x3.

x4

When I picked up a pair of Cliftons I thought it was a game changer. A week later I had extensor tendonitis in my right foot that caused me to layoff running for a month and half and miss a race :/
Quote Reply
Re: Altra vs Hoka [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
thatsethguy wrote:
TriBodyboarder wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:

This!

x3.

x4

When I picked up a pair of Cliftons I thought it was a game changer. A week later I had extensor tendonitis in my right foot that caused me to layoff running for a month and half and miss a race :/

x5! wait can you times yourself?
Quote Reply
Re: Altra vs Hoka [Bogusdogs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Bondi B3 is perfect for me all the way around....except I blow through the outsole in like 50 miles.

I will compare the Stinson Tarmac to the Altra Olympus to see which one I like better.

Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
thatsethguy wrote:
TriBodyboarder wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:

This!

x3.

x4

x5! wait can you times yourself?

X6!

Love my Hokas but the toe box is lacking. Trying to find a place in the ATL that actually has the Altra Paradigm to take for a spin.
Quote Reply

Prev Next