Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Los Cabos lodging?
Quote | Reply
Which hotel is best, for proximity to the race venue, comfort, good reviews?

Lots of options, but would like feedback. A little skeptical of the time share ones as you get a constant sales pitch to buy. Not interested. Also, don't necessarily want the "meal plan" type locations.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Los Cabos lodging? [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Search for Hacienda de Cortez. I found it on Flipkey.com. A B&B run by a Canadian, Norman Trottier. Good location, FANTASTIC house, view, pool, food, etc etc. And INCREDIBLE service. We had a group that rented most of his rooms and we had some other friends that stayed at a house down the street. All of us were very happy with the accommodation. It was a great experience. Norman was beyond words great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's still the host hotel, the Barcelo Grand Faro was a great all inclusive. I found that it was extremely convenient to stay at the host hotel - go downstairs to check in, hit the expo, then hang out by the pool. Food was great, location was great. only complaint was the music playing all day by the pool, but you'll get that everywhere. I may do Cabo again next year, and if so, that's where I'd hope to stay.

"Thankfully, persistence is a great substitute for talent" - Steve Martin
http://www.trifundracing.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stayed at Hotel & Suites Las Palmas, it was a Best Western when I made my reservation. Apparently it changed hands immediately before the race, they were changing the sign as we drove up. We were very happy, there were other racers there, the location was excellent - our balconey over looked the bike course. However, looking at reviews since then, it appaers they have gone down hill. If they can turn it around, they are reasonably priced, with a breakfast buffet and great location. \

They are a convenient walk to a sponsor hotel for a bus ride to the race start in the morning and also convenient walk from T2 after the race. The room had a separate bedroom, LR with trundle bed, more comfy then a pul out, and a smal kitchen with medium frig. and mircowave.

Highly recommend a rental car for this area. There is a lot to to do, look at, but you will need wheels.

Larry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any thoughts on either the Westin or the Holiday Inn? Both are time shares, but appear to get good reviews. Pretty centrally located to the race site. I did think about a rental car, but always a little iffy in Mexico.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rented from Hertz, I had no issues, except, I did not see the sign that "They do not accept cash". I tried to use my last pesos to partially pay my bill. The clerk decided that I was making a donation, to her, and charged me the full amount on my credit card. Besides that, that is the only problem with hertz. In the end, there was no issues.

Well, there was also the time share "deal" as I left the airport. I was offered a significant discount if I looked at a timeshare Monday after the race, it included a nice buffet. I decided to give it a shot, I had no plans for Monday morning and you have to eat.... Well, just like the US, you have to have your spouse with you to get the deal or even receive the presentation; my wife did not make the trip They did not mention this until we arrived at the time share. I was actually disappointed, the time share was the Grand Mayan Los Cabos. The place was amazing from the lobby, there must have been eight pools. So I did not get my discount, but I did not pay more than more original reservation. The rental car/time share people were crazy at the airport. There were no shortage of rental cars.

If I do IMLC 2015, I will use Hertz again.

Larry
Quote Reply
Re: IM Los Cabos lodging? [lollice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also toured the Grand Mayan in Los Cabos. After walking in, I couldn't get out of the "Man Cave" fast enough! Dark, scary, not at all inviting and never would I chose to stay there.

I understand why a male architect must have thought the design would be appealing to who usually pays the bill.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: IM Los Cabos lodging? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I stayed at the Holiday Inn the first year of this race. It was a good location.. But, I didn't like it. Food wasn't good (I'm veggiterian), which isn't good before a race. Wifi was ify at best. Bed was ok. We only stayed from Fri until Mon morning-then went to Cabo and wife's timeshare. Of I did the race again, I'd stay at a different place. Maybe it's gotten better though.

TEAMFIREFIGHTER.com
STRIVE Omni Sport.com
Get Busy Living - or - Get Busy Dying
Quote Reply
Re: IM Los Cabos lodging? [rvt210] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The best bang-for-the-buck is the Hyatt Place (different from Hyatt Ziva):

http://loscabos.place.hyatt.com/...agn_phd_lclb_gplaces

$95/night. Brand new. Right on the run course.

It's not a resort; it's functional. Nice rooms, fast WiFi, free breakfast, free parking and a small pool.
Quote Reply