Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Longest Bike and Run for Olympic Distance?
Quote | Reply
Due to time constraints I'm pulling the plug for a few years on doing 70.3, marathons and century rides to focus on getting fast at sprint and olympic distance.

Obviously I'm swapping mileage for speed and intervals in training but what should be a baseline as the longest bike and run in training? Plans I've looked at show 2.5hr bike on the weekend and around 1hr 10 runs mid-week.

Does this sound about right?
Quote Reply
Re: Longest Bike and Run for Olympic Distance? [ENP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reasonable, I would think. Maybe in base building a handful of 3 hr rides and/or 90 min runs, but you can absolutely be successful in Oly distance with nothing much over 2.5hr/70 minutes.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TO be really good at Olympic, the training looks a lot like 70.3 distance. To "fake" you way through it, you could get away with a long run as short as 9-10 miles and still do very well. How far from your potential do you want to be?

I find a good way to fit in more in a busy schedule is frequency. So run 5-6 days a week, but combine them with swim or bike workouts as needed and keep them short. Using...yet again... the Barry P model, you could run 6-3-6-3-9-off-3 or similar one or both of hte 6 mile runs are "quality". the rest are easy. 30mpw. A good middle ground when time constrained and most of the time your running 25-45 minutes. You could fit the 3mi runs right before or after a swim workout.

As for the long rides. A long ride still does wonders to build you aerobic engine. But 2-1/2 to 3 hours tempo ride will get the job done. If you're really pressed, even 2 hours at 85-90% is still a solid effort.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Last edited by: motoguy128: Oct 24, 14 12:34
Quote Reply
Re: Longest Bike and Run for Olympic Distance? [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree. 2:30 bike and 70 min runs should do.

However, do something to monitor your fitness to make sure the training you are doing it working for you. Maybe a 6-8 weekly test in cycling in running, not necessarily maximal tests but maybe submaximal (to get an idea of your aerobic fitness).

By monitoring, you can find your "minimal effective dose" for what still produces an effect. Maybe you can do a little less than what you mentioned, maybe you need a little more? Experiment with it...

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can get away with shorter times, but try to still mix it up and go long when you can. It's important to train every part of your engine. You better believe ITU guys still do 100+ mile rides. But a baseline of 2.5hr and 70-80 minutes running should be fine.

Honestly if you find your feeling fit and racing fast in Olympics early in the year, you could easier jump up to 70.3 with a few weeks of longer endurance work. But it sounds like that time constant could still be your problem.

Best of luck!

Owner of Dream Big Triathlon Coaching LLC
http://www.dreambigtriathloncoaching.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Longest Bike and Run for Olympic Distance? [NewfieBullet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NewfieBullet wrote:

However, do something to monitor your fitness to make sure the training you are doing it working for you. Maybe a 6-8 weekly test in cycling in running, not necessarily maximal tests but maybe submaximal (to get an idea of your aerobic fitness).

By monitoring, you can find your "minimal effective dose" for what still produces an effect. Maybe you can do a little less than what you mentioned, maybe you need a little more? Experiment with it...

Cheers

How would I know if aerobic fitness is my weakness at short events? Would a good measure be my 10k run split at the end of a race vs my pure run TT's in training?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ENP wrote:
NewfieBullet wrote:

Cheers

How would I know if aerobic fitness is my weakness at short events? Would a good measure be my 10k run split at the end of a race vs my pure run TT's in training?

Too many factors there, such as over-swimming, over-biking, poor hydration.

You would have to monitor your pace at various efforts, and retest them. Without knowing any science behind it, you can simply test yourself, repeat the test in 8 weeks, and pace at each effort should improve.

From Hadd (running coach) training:

Run test (this would be done with lactate testing, but it is still useful without).

Warmup 15-20 min, start very easy build throughout.

Perform the following on a track, staying as close to the HR as possible Record average pace for each rep. These are examples below, if your max is within 10 beats of 180, set all test so that the highest test is closer to 15-20 beats below max:

For someone HRmax of 195-200bpm.

2000m @ 140bpm, 90 sec rest
2000m @ 150bpm, 90 sec rest
2000m @ 160bpm, 90 sec rest
2000m @ 170 bpm, 90 sec rest.
2000m @ 180 bpm, 90 sec rest.

If your selected training improves your aerobic system, all paces should improve, but the lower ones the most.
If your selected training improves high end efforts, you will notice the greatest change at 180bpm, for example.

The same can be done with swimming (5x100 on 15sec rest, changing effort - but heart rate is too difficult here so take Blood lactate after each 5 x 100 is a must. Then compare blood lactate at a given pace, to the next test at that Lactate/pace in 8 weeks time) Cycling, 8 minute intervals, holding a certain heart rate, power would be the most ideal here (hold cadence at a certain rate, stick to the same equipment, position, etc.).

There you go.
Last edited by: NewfieBullet: Oct 24, 14 13:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2+ hours bike & 1+ hour run once a week is great. For most good AGers, 85 mpw bike & 30 mpw run is plenty to get to 2:15 and much faster in an oly. But that would probably not get most of us to sub 5 in a half.
... The nice thing (for me and some others who are pressed for time) about sprint and oly distance is that the bike is a bit DE-emphasized & swim & run become a bit more important ... So be sure to swim more as a % of your week as compared to prepping for a 70.3 or iron man. (as in 20-25% / 2.5 hours out of 10 hours vs. 15% / 2.5 hours out of 12+ hours total per week for long distance).
Last edited by: TBinMT: Oct 24, 14 13:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ENP wrote:
Due to time constraints I'm pulling the plug for a few years on doing 70.3, marathons and century rides to focus on getting fast at sprint and olympic distance.

Obviously I'm swapping mileage for speed and intervals in training but what should be a baseline as the longest bike and run in training? Plans I've looked at show 2.5hr bike on the weekend and around 1hr 10 runs mid-week.

What do you consider "fast at olympic distance"?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ENP wrote:

It's almost always your weakness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ENP wrote:
Obviously I'm swapping mileage for speed and intervals in training but what should be a baseline as the longest bike and run in training?

The optimum training volume for olympic distance racing is the same as the optimum volume for ironman.

I wouldn't really do much more speedwork unless you weren't doing enough to begin with. And I wouldn't lose too much mileage unless you don't mind giving up some speed too.

Longest ride and Longest bike isn't important, total volume per week or month is what matters.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ENP wrote:

Your entire race time is a good indicator. To make it faster, you need more aerobic fitness.

(ignoring bike equipment, and swim technique)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do Olympics. No long bikes, just an hour on the trainer per day. I try to run 3 days a week 90 minutes each, hills, all LSD.

I do not speed work in training. I get this in my races.

My input to folks is just do what you can fit in around family and work, and just have fun. No need to make this stuff more complicated than it needs to be.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Longest Bike and Run for Olympic Distance? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
ENP wrote:

For me would be:
22.5min or faster swim (1.30 per 100m)
68.5min or faster bike (35km/hr)
40min run (15km/hr)
Including transitions or other extras sub 2hr 15mins would be considered fast for me. I normally do them around 2hr 25.
Quote Reply
Re: Longest Bike and Run for Olympic Distance? [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:
ENP wrote:

Not force/strength?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ENP wrote:
Staz wrote:
ENP wrote:

Not force/strength?

Aerobic fitness is almost always a bigger limiter for running. However take a look at this for example http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23207882.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My rule of thumb for the long training runs for the 5 and 10 k is that your long run should be about 3x the race (harder runs by distance, easier runs by time).

So, for the 10k, if I run a bit harder, I run around 18 miles, if I run a bit easier I run around 1:50 (I split about 37 for my 10k on an Oly).

Bike rides I do 3-5 times the race time. I split a few ticks over an hour so my longest bike rides are 3-5 hours.
Quote Reply
Re: Longest Bike and Run for Olympic Distance? [InWyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No intelligent opinion here. Just a couple of observations:
1) The difference between a 70 minute run (shortest long run recommended) and two hour (longish long run) is only 50 minutes.
2) Olympic distance- swim is almost 1/6th of the race.
70.3- swim is 1/10th.
3 minutes off pace in 70.3 swim- no big deal.
2.5 minutes off pace in Olympic swim- big deal?
3) A 2.5 hour bike (many posters are recommending this) might require 3.5 hours or more of time (once you consider time fixing bike).

Duathlon, sprint triathlon, aquathon, (even marathon) - might require require less training time.
I think 70.3 and Olympic distance triathlon are pretty comparable.
Quote Reply
Re: Longest Bike and Run for Olympic Distance? [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i noticed some good advice here with training volume for Olympic distances and i've been curious about this since I just started racing Olympics coming from sprints. i know its relative, but with the given volume people are recommend what are its related result, time-wise.
Quote Reply
Re: Longest Bike and Run for Olympic Distance? [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dirtymangos wrote:
No intelligent opinion here. Just a couple of observations:
1) The difference between a 70 minute run (shortest long run recommended) and two hour (longish long run) is only 50 minutes.
2) Olympic distance- swim is almost 1/6th of the race.
70.3- swim is 1/10th.
3 minutes off pace in 70.3 swim- no big deal.
2.5 minutes off pace in Olympic swim- big deal?
3) A 2.5 hour bike (many posters are recommending this) might require 3.5 hours or more of time (once you consider time fixing bike).

Duathlon, sprint triathlon, aquathon, (even marathon) - might require require less training time.
I think 70.3 and Olympic distance triathlon are pretty comparable.

Good lord, how much time do you spend maintaining your bike? I pinch the tires, roll out the door and ride. Maybe check the tire pressure before a deliberate ride(As opposed to just getting out there and pedaling for the sake of endorphins or transportation).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those long efforts are fine, but if you are cutting your total volume of training, that will have a negative impact on your total fitness. So you are going to have to be mindful that the speed/ intervals you add not only get your total training stress back to what you were doing for 70.3, but beyond.

Just doing less volume but more fast stuff doesn't ensure you'll be faster, you just may get to the same place, down a different path. The % of time spent in each event does change and so a shift towards more emphasis on swim could make sense, but if you're like most, and already spending a fair amount of time swimming intervals, then you might not gain as much overall time, versus more time spend doing intervals cycling and running (where the majority of time is typically done "easy" in training).

John Hartpence, Athlete & Coach
tripence@gmail.com, @coachpence
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ENP wrote:
klehner wrote:
ENP wrote:

For me would be:
22.5min or faster swim (1.30 per 100m)
68.5min or faster bike (35km/hr)
40min run (15km/hr)
Including transitions or other extras sub 2hr 15mins would be considered fast for me. I normally do them around 2hr 25.

Way to long. Why do a 2 1/2 hour ride if you want to finish the whole race in 2 1/4?
Quote Reply
Re: Longest Bike and Run for Olympic Distance? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Way to long. Why do a 2 1/2 hour ride if you want to finish the whole race in 2 1/4?

I'm going to guess somebody will say - because it is an effective way to build aerobic fitness, and not all workouts are a dress rehearsal?
Quote Reply