Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Distracted Driving
Quote | Reply
The province of Ontario is very close to putting into place the stiffest fines and punishments for distracted driving in North America.

Soon, the use of ANY sort of hand-held device, with your hands in a motor vehicle will be $1000 fine and 3 demerit points.

Thank you to Premier Kathleen Wynne.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Distracted Driving [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Riding lawnmowers count?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A step in the right direction. People need to realize (myself included) that driving requires our full attention and any momentary lapse in that attention can cost someone their life.

But if authorities are not there to enforce the law, are we allowed to create our own justice as throw water bottles those drivers who are distracted?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well if you are going to go to that extent, I hope they cover off on cigarettes, food, drink, pens, pencils, false eyelashes, contact lenses, vibrators, kittens, etc. In other words, both hands firmly on the steering wheel at all times otherwise you are fined.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Distracted Driving [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
A step in the right direction. People need to realize (myself included) that driving requires our full attention and any momentary lapse in that attention can cost someone their life.

But if authorities are not there to enforce the law, are we allowed to create our own justice as throw water bottles those drivers who are distracted?

Very well said. I read somewhere that if you are driving and scrolling through your Facebook account or Twitter or whatever else it is that the douchebags do with their phones in the car what you are really saying is 'I care so little about your personal safety that I am going to scroll thru the phone to my heart's content.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately the law has no teeth. I was in traffic court this summer attending a pre-trial negotiation. The guy before me got his charge reduced from $300 to $80 and no demerit points from 3 pts. Meanwhile for not coming to complete stop at a 4-way intersection my fine was reduced only from$80 to $60 got 2 demerit pts. Instead of 3.
Quote Reply
Re: Distracted Driving [OhCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately the law has no teeth. I was in traffic court this summer attending a pre-trial negotiation. The guy before me got his charge reduced from $300 to $80 and no demerit points from 3 pts. Meanwhile for not coming to complete stop at a 4-way intersection my fine was reduced only from$80 to $60 got 2 demerit pts. Instead of 3.

I agree. Gong to Traffic Court is a disheartening experience. I've been there and witnessed the same. Major speeding tickets. reckless driving charges etc . .with repeat offenders with significantly reduced fines and an elimination of demerit points, and these idiots are back out on the road with a slap on the wrist*

I sense/hope this might be a bit different. Accidents, injuries and fatalities, for distracted driving when a mobile phone is in use recently surpassed drunk driving as the #1 source for accidents. The current fine for mobile usage is a slap on the wrist at $150.

* I was in Traffic Court to argue a parking ticket - I received NO reduction for something that did not threaten anyone's safety or life. I had a close look at some of the rough looking folk who were up against some of these pretty serious moving violation charges, and I almost guarantee that they have been charged again or caused some other form of accident. It seems that when these things reach this stage of throwing the ultimate book at these guys - suspension of their license, judges flinch. They know that in North America, with so much of ones life involved in driving, that is a very cruel blow - but I am fine with that. Too bad so sad, dude. You drove like an idiot!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Oct 21, 14 15:53
Quote Reply
Re: Distracted Driving [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Riding a lawnmower in your car is perfectly fine...
Quote Reply