Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Holding it" during IM
Quote | Reply
This may be a dumb question, but it is a serious one...

I've always been one that has to pee more frequently than most, and this includes during the bike leg of an IM race. If I was to "go" as my body wanted, I would probably go 5 or 6 times. Obviously I don't want to take that much time to pee, so I hold it as long as I can (oh, and I've tried peeing while riding - the pee went down my leg and into my shoe, which was just gross - so I'm not inclined to do that again).

My question is - can there be negative affects (aside from being uncomfortable) that can arise from "holding it"? For example - does it affect your nutrition/fluid absorption in any way? Or can it contribute to GI distress issues?
Quote Reply
Re: "Holding it" during IM [Dreamer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you are asking for problems if you hold it in. think about it, you are hydrating yourself and your kidneys filter out the waste. better to stay hydrated and get rid of the waste than hold it in. either pee on the fly or hit the potties.

besides, which is grosser, diluted urine in your shoe that you can rinse out with a bottle of water or IM potties?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uromysitisis is nothing to ignore.

uromysitisis poisoning – (related terms: urinator) 1. a very serious urinating condition one has no control over 2. especially while in parking garages 3. Doctors recommend that one just relieve themselves or death is a possibility 4. quote: “Do you think I enjoy living like this?…the shame, the humiliation…You know I have been issued a public urination pass by the city because of my condition” — Jerry 5. episode: The Parking Garage
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember an instructor telling us that holding it could lead to erectile dysfunction. It wasn't in context of lecture, he was just rambling so I'm not positive he wasn't quoting Dr. Phil or something.

I have noticed my Ws taper off when I have to pee too.

The side effects are pretty limited for peeing when you need to though.

@christopher_borden •
Spinning Spoke • Dimond Bikes • Flo Cycling • Castelli Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Huffington Post says if you hold your pee in, you'll get AIDS.

Here's the link: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/...alth-_n_1299435.html

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
USATF Coach | NYRR Distance Pacer
Dad of twins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(oh, and I've tried peeing while riding - the pee went down my leg and into my shoe, which was just gross - so I'm not inclined to do that again).

God invented water to take care of this. Later, rinse, repeat. Or stop to pee.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: "Holding it" during IM [Borden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Borden wrote:
I remember an instructor telling us that holding it could lead to erectile dysfunction. It wasn't in context of lecture, he was just rambling so I'm not positive he wasn't quoting Dr. Phil or something.

Please cite your source as Jim Carrey in Liar Liar. :)

But yeah, don't hold it in. I agree it's kind of gross getting it in your shoe, but on the bright side if you're properly hydrating, it should be mostly clear and non-smelly at least!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just piss all over the changing tent, it's all the latest rage! /pink
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As Shreck said, "Better out than in".

Lots of options, some legal, some not so legal. The pro riders learn to stand on the bike, turn their bodies, do a bit of fishing and let a stream fly off to the side. Depending upon the length of your shorts and how cold it is (or isn't), you may be able to hike up one short leg and ho that way. Or, stop, get off the Nike and pee into the ditch. Of course all of these are not within Tri rules and you could be DQ'd.

As someone else posted, go before the aid station, use any remaining water to flush, then get more water to flush at the aid station. Heck, you could even stop there for 10 seconds and pour a bottle down your shorts.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: "Holding it" during IM [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree, quick spray from the water bottle afterwards to clean up and you are good to go.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree the whole piss soaked shoe is nasty. If you dont care about it being obvious, I stand up, unclip one shoe while coasting, and pull that unclipped foot up behind me to rest the top of the foot on the saddle, almost like a quad stretch. Then I angle it to the side with the unclipped shoe,lean forward, and start relieving myself. Doing this will let it run off your knee rather than collect in your shoe.

Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best ST tip ever: how not to pee in your shoe while riding. Push your junk into the right leg of your tri shorts. Dip your right knee down so it is below your shoe...you can either keep clipped in or not. (I prefer clipped in with my shoe at the top of the pedal stroke...requires sitting on your top tube). Pee. The pee will run off your right knee and onto the road and not upwards into your shoe. No wet shoe.

Works for "lefties" too.

(thank you to whomever posted this tip long ago...I can't remember to give you credit).
Quote Reply
Re: "Holding it" during IM [RobbyT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice RobbyT...you beat me to it.
Quote Reply
Re: "Holding it" during IM [G$] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some of the cycling shoes I've smelled, urine would be an upgrade.

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The other key is to not masturbate in the morning, or at least clear your peehole afterwards. Otherwise, you might have some difficulty controlling the direction of the stream.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
G$ wrote:
Best ST tip ever: how not to pee in your shoe while riding. Push your junk into the right leg of your tri shorts. Dip your right knee down so it is below your shoe...you can either keep clipped in or not. (I prefer clipped in with my shoe at the top of the pedal stroke...requires sitting on your top tube). Pee. The pee will run off your right knee and onto the road and not upwards into your shoe. No wet shoe.

Works for "lefties" too.

(thank you to whomever posted this tip long ago...I can't remember to give you credit).

Hhhhmmm.... too complicated.

I just pull it out from the top of the bike shorts and let it stream while coasting on a slight downhill. Doesn't even wet my shorts or leg.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RobbyT wrote:
I agree the whole piss soaked shoe is nasty. If you dont care about it being obvious, I stand up, unclip one shoe while coasting, and pull that unclipped foot up behind me to rest the top of the foot on the saddle, almost like a quad stretch. Then I angle it to the side with the unclipped shoe,lean forward, and start relieving myself. Doing this will let it run off your knee rather than collect in your shoe.

I think we have a winner.

I will try on my training ride this weekend. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: "Holding it" during IM [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
The other key is to not masturbate in the morning, or at least clear your peehole afterwards. Otherwise, you might have some difficulty controlling the direction of the stream.

Whut? Is this really what people are doing at 2am waking up for an IM?
Quote Reply
Re: "Holding it" during IM [TunaBoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It helps calm pre race jitters. /pink

Twitter
Last edited by: RobbyT: Oct 21, 14 15:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This whole thread is TMI
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holding it is completely dumb. If you have to go, then do so. If you are no where close to qualifying, peeing on the bike makes no sense. Volunteers want to help, not smell your pissy ass shoes.

Quote | Reply
I agree with this one! If you're not going for KQ, then just pull over and pee. It'll give your back a chance to stretch out.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get used to the idea of peeing while riding. You are peeing nothing but sport drinks and water anyway. Rinse and repeat. I would rather do 100 times than going inside one of these nasty porta johns.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply