Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running Book - Form/Technique Correction
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for a book that helps identify proper running form/technique and gives applicable ways to correct your form when an issue is identified. I'm not interested in books that provide training advice, I'm using the BarryP plan and am very satisfied.

Thanks,
Ender
Quote Reply
Re: Running Book - Form/Technique Correction [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
I'm looking for a book that helps identify proper running form/technique and gives applicable ways to correct your form when an issue is identified. I'm not interested in books that provide training advice, I'm using the BarryP plan and am very satisfied.

Thanks,
Ender

"Anatomy for Runners" - Jay Dicharry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Explosive Running" is one and I reckon the least controversial of all the popular literature books that cover running form.

The remedies are mostly strength exercise based, though plyometrics is part of the program as well.

Chi Running is another and "The Triathletes Guide to Run Training" has a big chunk on form. And of course there's Pose Running Technique.

They all suffer in one way or another from the same thing swimming technique writing suffers from, usually there are not solid guidelines with which to diagnose when form needs to be corrected and when it is OK. How much is too much? Is the big question and the risks can be high. For example almost every one of those books will encourage the runner to adopt a midfoot or forefoot strike when running, too much too soon of that can lead to achilles, soleus and calf injuries in a hurry.

Lastly, I don't know that any of those methods have been shown to improve performance, though I am ready to be corrected on that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate running, this book came out today so I have not yet read it (out for delivery), and really I'm just a Kelly Starrett fan so I wanted to have it but this could be worth checking into:

Ready to run

http://www.amazon.com/...0098/ref=shptrk_scth
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What makes you think there is a issue that needs to be corrected?
Keep in mind that a lot of the current (chi, prose, forefoot) trends are marketing based and profit driven. There are many studies that are showing negligible differences in performance, economy and even injury rates. Past WSU and current Arizona track coach Li (who Bernard Lagatt has moved with throughout his career) for one, does not do any form work. He has coached some crazy strides and gets a lot of speed from them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This video will teach you all you need to know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGojEyYBmwc

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would think that if your able to run injury free you don't need to change. The best way is to film yourself and have a PT or a good coach walk you through what the tape shows....again, unless your getting hurt you probably don't need to change any of your form.

Personally, I am going to experiment with the Pose method because I am constantly injured when I add any tempo/race paced work - the film showed me over striding; even tho my run cadence is solid, I am still over striding. I was also shocked at how one leg kick-stands (it flares right on impact) and then as I push off it turns more - this is the same side that gives me trouble. So extra strength training and form change. I have no idea if it will work, but I have nothing to lose.
Quote Reply