Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Sanders, training numbers from Kona. [MTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTL wrote:
The workload he did in one week isn't very spetacular... 800k averging around 35-37km/h that would give around 21-22 hours of cycling. Jan Fredono trains 35 hours and other pro are doing the same. I have no clue how much hours he swam in Kona but probably not much... Plenty of running. Ask how much cycling miles Dave, Mark Allen, Thomas Hellriegel were putting in their big weeks and pretty sure that 500mi is a number that will pop up. The intensity put by Lionel is insane but the german were pushing hard all the time, also.

No, not all the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Sanders, training numbers from Kona. [thirstygreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My theory is he had an accident involving a high dosage of gamma rays.
Quote Reply
Re: Sanders, training numbers from Kona. [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:
MTL wrote:

The workload he did in one week isn't very spetacular... 800k averging around 35-37km/h that would give around 21-22 hours of cycling. Jan Fredono trains 35 hours and other pro are doing the same. I have no clue how much hours he swam in Kona but probably not much... Plenty of running. Ask how much cycling miles Dave, Mark Allen, Thomas Hellriegel were putting in their big weeks and pretty sure that 500mi is a number that will pop up. The intensity put by Lionel is insane but the german were pushing hard all the time, also.

No, not all the time.

Yes, a lot of things gets exaggerated over time... ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Sanders, training numbers from Kona. [snackchair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think one of those blog posts describes riding and trying to break 2 hours at 380 watts. the IM worlds references riding 40 mins at 370, either way that puts his ftp at or over 400, 55% of which would be 220, so whilst its all speculation, and all appears to be a recipe for burnout or overtraining, without access to hard data its unknown what the real story is, though it does not appear to be completely inconceivable
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a fan, read his blog as well. I am not trying to stop him. Amazed by his abilities.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTL wrote:
Staz wrote:
MTL wrote:

No, not all the time.

Yes, a lot of things gets exaggerated over time... ;)

I thought the benchmark was the Hellriegel approved 20K swim-1000K bike-100K run week :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Sanders, training numbers from Kona. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That doesn't seem that difficult. It's just 2860M swim, 143K bike and 14.3K run a day. Gulp.

At my paces it would take me probably 60 hours in a week to do that. Piece of cake.
Quote Reply
Re: Sanders, training numbers from Kona. [Fooshee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fooshee wrote:
That doesn't seem that difficult. It's just 2860M swim, 143K bike and 14.3K run a day. Gulp.

At my paces it would take me probably 60 hours in a week to do that. Piece of cake.

At Hellreigel's training pace, seems like 45 min swim, 4 hours bike, 1 hour run....that's not even an 8 hour work day...slacker (pink).
Quote Reply
Re: Sanders, training numbers from Kona. [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
rbuike wrote:
People say the same thing about Brett Sutton's athletes but they win.

No, people think sometimes Sutton pushes people too hard, but that is always a fine line you have to walk to be all you can be. Lot of the same talk surrounding the Brownlees too.

Sanders is much more chaotic and odd with his training than Sutton's athletes.

Maybe it is mad genius but his results so far don't suggest it is.

1st IM Muskoka 70.3 2013
2nd IM Raleigh 70.3
2nd IM Syracuse 70.3
1st IM Racine 70.3
1st IM Steelhead 70.3
4th IM 70.3 WC

That's not a bad year, even with a 10th at Texas and 18th at St. George that is a pretty good 12 months of racing. I guess the question is can he keep it up. Time will tell.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Sanders, training numbers from Kona. [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lionel seems an incredibly honest, hard-working and dedicated individual. What I find surprising is just how reliant he is on indoor training. I can accept his body is able to take the amount of punishment he inflicts on it but what about his mind? How does he keep himself sane training the way he does?

It is said that Brownlees also train ridiculously hard, which is one reason why Alistair has so many injuries. By contrast with Lionel, this week, they are currently in Spain with some friends (Phil Graves, Mark Buckingham, Rhys Davey etc) doing huge cycle rides in the mountains but however hard this might be on their bodies, it is surely immense fun riding outside with friends. Phil Graves tweeted yesterday something to the effect that "life doesn't get much better" with the combination of sport, friends and scenery. For them, it is intensely enjoyable. And my worry is that Lionel is going to suddenly wake up in his little room and think: "surely there must be more to life than indoor cycling." And is winning a few races really compensation for the sterilty of all the daily training?

There is no "right" or "wrong" answer to this. It clearly works for him. But I do worry for his mental balance and wonder what he will do if winning doesn't quite live up to his expectations.
Quote Reply
Re: Sanders, training numbers from Kona. [FeketeBlob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FeketeBlob wrote:
Lionel seems an incredibly honest, hard-working and dedicated individual. What I find surprising is just how reliant he is on indoor training. I can accept his body is able to take the amount of punishment he inflicts on it but what about his mind? How does he keep himself sane training the way he does?

It is said that Brownlees also train ridiculously hard, which is one reason why Alistair has so many injuries. By contrast with Lionel, this week, they are currently in Spain with some friends (Phil Graves, Mark Buckingham, Rhys Davey etc) doing huge cycle rides in the mountains but however hard this might be on their bodies, it is surely immense fun riding outside with friends. Phil Graves tweeted yesterday something to the effect that "life doesn't get much better" with the combination of sport, friends and scenery. For them, it is intensely enjoyable. And my worry is that Lionel is going to suddenly wake up in his little room and think: "surely there must be more to life than indoor cycling." And is winning a few races really compensation for the sterilty of all the daily training?

There is no "right" or "wrong" answer to this. It clearly works for him. But I do worry for his mental balance and wonder what he will do if winning doesn't quite live up to his expectations.

X2

In my experience, quality of life increases exponentially if you run on a trail in nature and see a bunny rabbit.

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Re: Sanders, training numbers from Kona. [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scotttriguy wrote:
In my experience, quality of life increases exponentially if you run on a trail in nature and see a bunny rabbit.

Once encountered a big bunny rabbit on a run and actually was scared it would attack me.
Quote Reply
Re: Sanders, training numbers from Kona. [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw "Monty Python and the Holy Grail." Bunny rabbits are not to be trifled with.
Quote Reply
Re: Sanders, training numbers from Kona. [FeketeBlob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the Brownless philosophy on training, aside from massive volume, is to do everything outside. They run and ride outside all winter and have said that suffering through the wet and cold makes them stronger.

I also read that Allistair attributed one of his achilles problems to running on frozen ground. So there's that too...
Quote Reply
Re: Sanders, training numbers from Kona. [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scotttriguy wrote:
FeketeBlob wrote:

X2

He also said he's been hit by a car four times, so perhaps he doesn't live somewhere amiable to outdoor cycling.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Sanders, training numbers from Kona. [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote

In my experience, quality of life increases exponentially if you run on a trail in nature and see a bunny rabbit.[/quote]

He also said he's been hit by a car four times, so perhaps he doesn't live somewhere amiable to outdoor cycling.[/quote]

Ouch. That'd explain the indoor cycling.

Unless he's been hit by a car 4 times while running. /pink

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply

Prev Next