Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HIghly Corrosive Sweat
Quote | Reply
STers, do any of you have what you'd consider highly corrosive sweat? I've done some pretty serious damage to my bike and other equipment (helmet).

I spray down my bike after most rides with water, then wipe it down. It hasn't seemed to matter much, though. Anything that can rust, has. The manufacturer even warrantied my frame b/c a crack developed around the seat post. It seems as though my sweat corroded the area. Recently, an LBS had to drill out the steering tube bolt b/c it was fused. Bike is from 2012.

As for my helmet, the area on the visor and helmet where the magnets go, deteriorated to the point that they broke through the helmet.

If spraying down your bike doesn't work, then how else do you protect it? Vaseline? WD40?

FWIW, I eat pretty well. Lost of fruits and veggies, mostly lean meats, nuts, etc. I don't drink battery acid or other corrosive fluids, so what could it be? I don't ride with anything another than electrolyte tabs in my water, and the bike is stored indoors.

What gives? Any advice?
Quote Reply
Re: HIghly Corrosive Sweat [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you spend a lot of time on the trainer? I had some severe headset and pedal/cleat damage the first winter I took it really seriously on the trainer. Now I keep a towel on/over the aerobars and make sure to take my shoes off the bike so it doesn't fuse together.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In what part of the country do you live? What is the distance between you and the ocean?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: HIghly Corrosive Sweat [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robin, run wrote:
Do you spend a lot of time on the trainer? I had some severe headset and pedal/cleat damage the first winter I took it really seriously on the trainer. Now I keep a towel on/over the aerobars and make sure to take my shoes off the bike so it doesn't fuse together.

I have an older aluminum frame road bike that i throw on the trainer. i keep towels on it during trainer sessions.

DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
In what part of the country do you live? What is the distance between you and the ocean?

I live 3 hours from the ocean, about an hour west of Ft. Bragg. The thing is, most of my buddies don't have that problem. They were shocked at the pics of the bike and helmet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have had a relatively new headset completely destroyed by sweat while indoor riding, don't do much riding indoors these days but always cover the headset up with electrical tape or plastic wrap when I do. Seat bolt on my bike is certainly prone to rusting and seizing up, don't know whether that's due to sweat or the conditions I ride in but I avoid it by removing, cleaning and greasing on a regular basis.

Suggestions:
- check your bolts for rust, anything that looks like it's starting to rust should at a minimum be cleaned and greased, or even better replaced with a higher quality stainless or titanium bolt
- Don't spray your bike down with water, clean it with something like Muc-Off spray and a rag. If you're spraying it (especially if you're using a pressure hose) you can be getting water into parts of the bike that it may not otherwise reach and where it may not dry out easily
- After cleaning, spray your bike with some kind of bike protection spray. These drive out moisture, provide a bit of lubrication, and leave a protective residue on the bike without leaving it sticky. Be careful about getting it on tires or braking surface though...
- Cover your headset when riding indoors
- no idea what you're talking about with the helmet, no magnets on any of my helmets, is it an MTB helmet or something? Certainly can't imagine that the shell of the helmet is getting damaged by sweat, if it's the pads/straps then these can usually be replaced. Maybe worth rinsing out your helmet with clean water after a ride, and making sure it's dry before using it again (get 2 helmets if you ride every day and there's not enough drying time between rides)

Not sure how much you can do about the corrosiveness of your sweat. Drink more water? Cut down the electrolytes? I've never used an electrolyte tab in my life, have you had gut problems when you don't use them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nix the ocean idea.

Sounds like your sweat just has a high salt content?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After having some similar issues with the headset fusing, I've been doing a quick wipe down with lysol disinfecting wipes after each trainer ride with some success.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's hot, humid and sweaty where I live and I sweat a lot. I use a q-tip worth of grease and put a coating on the top of stem bolts, aero-pad bolts, basically the top of bolt that is going to get repeatedly bathed in sweat over a long ride. The trainer gets a couple towels that get removed and washed right after a session as well as a sweat guard (Kurt kinetic makes one I think, mine is old). Shoes on trainer get unclipped so everything can dry. I leave the fans going on the bike for about 10 minutes after I'm done just to dry stuff up. I buy backup sweat pads for my helmet and change them out as needed but mine doesn't have magnets so I've got nothing for ya there.

I take the bike in a couple times a year for a once-over by the bike shop guys to replace rusted parts, regrease, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some people do have higher (actually lower = more corrosive) pH levels than others. Do mosquitoes tend to stay away from you (compared to others)? If yes, it is possible - maybe even likley - that you have more acidic sweat.

Because of this I am buying a beater bike to put on my trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: HIghly Corrosive Sweat [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
Have had a relatively new headset completely destroyed by sweat while indoor riding, don't do much riding indoors these days but always cover the headset up with electrical tape or plastic wrap when I do. Seat bolt on my bike is certainly prone to rusting and seizing up, don't know whether that's due to sweat or the conditions I ride in but I avoid it by removing, cleaning and greasing on a regular basis.

Suggestions:
- check your bolts for rust, anything that looks like it's starting to rust should at a minimum be cleaned and greased, or even better replaced with a higher quality stainless or titanium bolt
- Don't spray your bike down with water, clean it with something like Muc-Off spray and a rag. If you're spraying it (especially if you're using a pressure hose) you can be getting water into parts of the bike that it may not otherwise reach and where it may not dry out easily
- After cleaning, spray your bike with some kind of bike protection spray. These drive out moisture, provide a bit of lubrication, and leave a protective residue on the bike without leaving it sticky. Be careful about getting it on tires or braking surface though...
- Cover your headset when riding indoors
- no idea what you're talking about with the helmet, no magnets on any of my helmets, is it an MTB helmet or something? Certainly can't imagine that the shell of the helmet is getting damaged by sweat, if it's the pads/straps then these can usually be replaced. Maybe worth rinsing out your helmet with clean water after a ride, and making sure it's dry before using it again (get 2 helmets if you ride every day and there's not enough drying time between rides)

Not sure how much you can do about the corrosiveness of your sweat. Drink more water? Cut down the electrolytes? I've never used an electrolyte tab in my life, have you had gut problems when you don't use them?

Bike protection spray? Do you spray the entire bike, or just the metal places where fluid could rust the metal? The spray down makes sense. No more hose baths. As for bolts, I usually spray WD40 onto a rag, then rub the bigger bolts down. I lube the chain every other ride, but always notice rust beginning to develop between applications.

I have a Giro Air Attack and the magnets on the visor and the contact points have disintegrated. They just replaced the helmet b/c the contact points (on helmet) broke through the out shell of the helmet. My aero helmet is fine...it doesn't have exposed metal parts and I don't use it all that often.

DSW, I drink a ton of water...I prob don't need the electrolytes, but I only use them during races and longer rides. Maybe I'll just do away with them totally.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:
Bike protection spray? Do you spray the entire bike, or just the metal places where fluid could rust the metal? The spray down makes sense. No more hose baths. As for bolts, I usually spray WD40 onto a rag, then rub the bigger bolts down. I lube the chain every other ride, but always notice rust beginning to develop between applications.

I have a Giro Air Attack and the magnets on the visor and the contact points have disintegrated. They just replaced the helmet b/c the contact points (on helmet) broke through the out shell of the helmet. My aero helmet is fine...it doesn't have exposed metal parts and I don't use it all that often.

DSW, I drink a ton of water...I prob don't need the electrolytes, but I only use them during races and longer rides. Maybe I'll just do away with them totally.

I spray the whole bike as find it stays cleaner that way (bit like waxing the car, rain and dirt run off a bit more easily), but definitely more focus around the drivetrain.

Use grease instead of WD40 on bolts - stickier and offers much more protection for non-moving parts.

If you take your bike out in wet conditions use a wet lube instead of a dry one - picks up more dirt, but should last a lot longer than a couple of rides. I have a wet lube on my commuter bike, gets ridden 6-10 times a week in sometimes atrocious conditions (rain, dirt, salt on roads in winter, etc), the chain gets a clean and re-lube most (not every) weekends, never do anything midweek other than hang it on the rack, and I've never had a spot of rust on it. The extra grit in the drivetrain does mean it's a bit noisier and that the chain/cassette wear out relatively quickly, but that's an acceptable trade-off for lower maintenance on a bike that I use so often (and it still saves me a load of money compared to other transport options).

If you're using dry lube and hosing your bike down I'm not surprised you're getting rust - I only use dry lube on bikes that are only used in nice summer conditions, and would never spray them with water, and still find I need to re-apply the lube every ride or 2.

I don't know the Giro Air Attack - assume there is no metal in contact with your head, so how exposed are the metal parts to your sweat? Maybe worth wiping them down after a ride to get the sweat off, or seeing if you can find a helmet that doesn't have metal parts if you can't fix the problem.
Quote Reply
Re: HIghly Corrosive Sweat [mplamour] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mplamour wrote:
After having some similar issues with the headset fusing, I've been doing a quick wipe down with lysol disinfecting wipes after each trainer ride with some success.

i use water and sometimes WD40, but it's not working. I guess I'll look for that muc stuff someone else mentioned.

SusanH wrote:
It's hot, humid and sweaty where I live and I sweat a lot. I use a q-tip worth of grease and put a coating on the top of stem bolts, aero-pad bolts, basically the top of bolt that is going to get repeatedly bathed in sweat over a long ride. The trainer gets a couple towels that get removed and washed right after a session as well as a sweat guard (Kurt kinetic makes one I think, mine is old). Shoes on trainer get unclipped so everything can dry. I leave the fans going on the bike for about 10 minutes after I'm done just to dry stuff up. I buy backup sweat pads for my helmet and change them out as needed but mine doesn't have magnets so I've got nothing for ya there.

I take the bike in a couple times a year for a once-over by the bike shop guys to replace rusted parts, regrease, etc.

I take my bike in a few times a year, but I fear it's mainly b/c of corrosion issues. The bottom bracket has been replaced and re-greased a few times this past year alone...and it still creaks. LBS used marine grease.

ajthomas wrote:
Some people do have higher (actually lower = more corrosive) pH levels than others. Do mosquitoes tend to stay away from you (compared to others)? If yes, it is possible - maybe even likley - that you have more acidic sweat.

Because of this I am buying a beater bike to put on my trainer.

Man, I'm a mosquito magnet...there could be 80 ppl in a room, and one mosquito, and it'll find me. It's a running joke among my friends to hang out close to me b/c mosquitoes bite me over anyone else. i wonder if there's a food that I eat that attracts them and is corrosive to metal...I eat a ton of bananas (2-4 a day), blueberries, and, um, grapes...ok, wine.

My beater bike (2006) has been through hell, too, but the parts are more durable, for some reason. It doesn't normally go outside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Corrosive sweat...oh yeah. I'm in Tampa, FL and it doesn't matter whether I'm riding indoors or outdoors. For at least half the year, I rain sweat all over my bike when training outdoors. Indoors, despite a top tube cover, large towel over the front end, AC, and two fans, sweat is coming off me like a waterfall. If it's metal I will corrode it. I've fused all kinds of bolts ... even corroded then cracked one stem. Sweat seems to get into everything. One of my bikes will soon need a new crank axle from sweat/humidity/salt air getting inside the BB and corroding it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to know I am not the only one with this issue... I have had to replace the magnet near my BB for my quarq because it disintegrated completely, SS bolts sound great but are an expensive and barely longer life solution to the problem also. My headsets do not last very long, and I am now using a Chris King BB so I can regrease it myself to get better life (I killed a different brand in less than a year without it ever being out in the rain on my race bike).

Oh yeah, I almost never ride the trainer as I hate it. So, this is all from riding outside in northern MN (not exactly hot and humid for long times, although July and August have their moments...).

Good maintenance on the areas people talk about is about all you can do I think. Good luck.

Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: HIghly Corrosive Sweat [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Corrosive sweat...oh yeah. I'm in Tampa, FL and it doesn't matter whether I'm riding indoors or outdoors. For at least half the year, I rain sweat all over my bike when training outdoors. Indoors, despite a top tube cover, large towel over the front end, AC, and two fans, sweat is coming off me like a waterfall. If it's metal I will corrode it. I've fused all kinds of bolts ... even corroded then cracked one stem. Sweat seems to get into everything. One of my bikes will soon need a new crank axle from sweat/humidity/salt air getting inside the BB and corroding it.

Had a buddy who corroded the cable stops off his bike, just due to corrosive sweat. Eventually ate the clear coat off the frame and started attacking the aluminum. Everything was fused all the time and he went down the road creaking and groaning and making all kinds of sinking boat noises.
Quote Reply
Re: HIghly Corrosive Sweat [Kscycler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I destroyed my Specialized Transition with sweat...completely.

The aluminium inserts in the frame where the components (i.e. brakes) are screwed to the frame were completely dissolved. The rear brakes literally fell off.
LBS said that they could try inserting new inserts into the frame, but that significant pressure would be required and it would risk cracking the frame.

I did not want to have a frame which could be cracked....so my Transition is now a permanent fixture on my Kickr. I just hope thee bottom bracket holds up. I should smear some grease on it, good idea.

I use my bike a lot on the trainer and I sweat buckets.....
Sometimes I need a mental break from the trainer, so I do a spin class in my gym. I usually create a river of sweat on the floor of the spin class....nothing like anyone else in the class, it's kinda crazy - some people think I sweat so much because I am really unfit. :)
Quote Reply