Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Heat Acclimatisation [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assume you're talking about Rev3 FL in Venice. I live just up the road in Sarasota and will doing the Oly.

85 deg would be on the high end. Average temps range from lows in the low 60's to highs in the low 80's in early November. Humidity will still be pretty wicked, so needless to say, plan your hydration carefully.

The bike course is a bit different this year. To their credit, Rev3 volunteers have been out inspecting the course and filling potholes over the last few weeks to get it ready. The run is the same with very little shade - it can be very oven-like by the end.

The Sarasota Storm Tri Club will be there in force, both racing and volunteering so feel free to stop by the club tent and say hi. The club usually organizes some group workouts during the week, but not sure exactly what's going on for Rev3 since a lot of folks are doing IMFL the week before. I imagine some folks will be riding the bike course ahead of time. Let me know if you have any interest. Like last year, there's also going to be a practice swim on the course on Saturday sometime after the kid's tri.

Good luck, hope to see you there.

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Acclimatisation [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

This makes good sense to me. My coach espouses the same kind of thing.

jonnyo wrote:
what do you mean by hard and short. To acclimatize, what science tell us is 70% of max hr for 1h for 10 days in a row should produce the physiological change required to performe in hotter environement.

That is ''hardly'' high intensity. I do recommend the opposite, do your endurance session on treadmill or trainer in a hot room, and do your quality session in normal cooler temp to not affect your fitness./performance on race day. I seen some very good results from athlete living in canada and getting to kona on this protocol.
Quote:
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Acclimatisation [Redcorvette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, Rev3 Florida.

Getting there a week before and staying a week afterwards.

Staying in Englewood just south of Venice. I don't know the safe bike routes down there and would appreciate some suggestions. I did the race last year but arrived on Thursday before the race so I didn't have time to do much riding beforehand.

I'll be sure to stop by the booth to say hi.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I just watched a video talking about spending time in the sauna. Much more to it than i thought

I think quite a few pros from the North use saunas in the winter to get acclimated to the heat for St. A's in the spring. It seems to have worked for Simon Whitfield as well, who was pretty decent at triathlon. http://www.infraredsaunacanada.ca/...alete-talks-infrared
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Acclimatisation [Richard H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Richard H wrote:
It is also a myth that you need to take extra sodium.
Dr Tim Noakes has explained all this on this forum, it's worth reading.

Interesting anecdotal point - in Hawaii this year it was hotter than usual on the bike, maybe a bit cooler than usual on the run. I didn't take any salt/electrolytes the whole race and I was fine. No cramps, no real issues

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I include a sauna protocol for heat prep, especially if I'm heat prepping when the weather outside is cold

I aim to build up to 30-45 mins on sauna time. I start with "intervals" to get there eg 3 x 10 mins, getting out and cooling for a few mins in between. I do a session every 2nd day if possible (or sometimes every day, as long as I've done my workouts before this). I always end the interval at the point where it becomes unbearable to stay in - it sort of feels like you want to crawl out of your skin. I know I'm adapting when that point takes longer. So in my last heat prep block, this is more or less how it went

day 1: 3 x 10
day 2: 1 x 13, 1 x 7, 2 x 5
day 3: 1 x 15, 2 x 10
day 4: 1 x 20, 1 x 10
day 5: 1 x 25, 1 x 10
day 6: 1 x 30

"day" might not be consecutive (usually 2 days apart)

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Acclimatisation [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
what do you mean by hard and short. To acclimatize, what science tell us is 70% of max hr for 1h for 10 days in a row should produce the physiological change required to performe in hotter environement.

That is ''hardly'' high intensity. I do recommend the opposite, do your endurance session on treadmill or trainer in a hot room, and do your quality session in normal cooler temp to not affect your fitness./performance on race day. I seen some very good results from athlete living in canada and getting to kona on this protocol.

The main point is that he does not even want to get on a trainer...so better to do some trainer so his mind does not explode...hard and short workouts make trainer time bearable....I'm not talking about optimal prep, just something for him to get part way there. Keep in mind that not everyone is trying to get pro level adaptations and training has to be fun to keep people in the game and at least doing some things that get you partially ready.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Listen to Fitter radio podcast episode 21. About 30' in. Paul Larsen talks exactly about what you need to do.

ETA: he talks about sessions that require zero exercise while in the sauna. So if you don't want to get on trainer give it a listen.
Last edited by: tucktri: Oct 21, 14 13:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not much to add to what's already been said. Just wanted to say good luck / condolences on racing in the FLA climate. I recently moved back to the northeast after 3+ years living in Florida, and I never fully acclimated to training & racing in that fetid bog of a state. Cross your fingers for relatively low humidity, November is when it starts to go from volcanically, unbearably hot and humid to merely uncomfortably warm, so you might be OK.
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Acclimatisation [Redcorvette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Redcorvette wrote:
Assume you're talking about Rev3 FL in Venice. I live just up the road in Sarasota and will doing the Oly.

85 deg would be on the high end. Average temps range from lows in the low 60's to highs in the low 80's in early November. Humidity will still be pretty wicked, so needless to say, plan your hydration carefully.

The bike course is a bit different this year. To their credit, Rev3 volunteers have been out inspecting the course and filling potholes over the last few weeks to get it ready. The run is the same with very little shade - it can be very oven-like by the end.

The Sarasota Storm Tri Club will be there in force, both racing and volunteering so feel free to stop by the club tent and say hi. The club usually organizes some group workouts during the week, but not sure exactly what's going on for Rev3 since a lot of folks are doing IMFL the week before. I imagine some folks will be riding the bike course ahead of time. Let me know if you have any interest. Like last year, there's also going to be a practice swim on the course on Saturday sometime after the kid's tri.

Good luck, hope to see you there.

Mark

Exactly. The forecast ranges from low 70's to lower 80's for a high. Overnight temps are into the upper 40's and low 50's so it's not even that humid. Honestly that's about the same weather we had for IMWI. Upper 70 and dewpoint around 50-55. Very comfortable. More sun in Florida of course, so unless cloudy, that will be a factor.

I woudn't do much more than overdress and maybe use less fans on the trainer.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Acclimatisation [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
once again dev, short workout will do very little for adaptation. the intensity is the variable that is not important once your reach 65-70%. Better force himself on the trainer for a easy 1h spin than try to ride hard for a short period. One is easier and much more effective.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Acclimatisation [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your sauna schedule looks like bike workouts :)

I spent 12 minutes in the sauna yesterday after swim practice...Holy crxp that was hot! The wall said 115° but I think it was a lot hotter in there. I'm going to bring something to measure it next time.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Acclimatisation [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would a dry sauna or steam room be better to prepare for high humidity?

Thanks,

Jason Tucker

Quote Reply
Re: Heat Acclimatisation [tricoachtucker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tricoachtucker wrote:
Would a dry sauna or steam room be better to prepare for high humidity?

A sauna - because the heat is the acclimatization trigger, and a steam room causes "skin discomfort" before your core temp can get as high as in a sauna. So essentially because of the steam, your skin feels like it's burning sooner than in a sauna.

Quote Reply

Prev Next