Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Apparently, I prefer the hills
Quote | Reply
Just finished a flat and fast course (Barrelman). I destroyed my PR in the bike and overall time. In reflection, I think I'll be picking hillier courses. Sure, my bike time will likely be slower. But, after 2 hours of spinning with more of the same in sight, I couldn't help but miss the chance to go up a nice, long incline just so I can have the chance to sit up on the way up and coast on the way down. Apparently, changing positions on the bike helps a lot with overall comfort level in the taint and the back.

Anyone else notice this?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Apparently, I prefer the hills [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't say whether I prefer them or not because I do like going faster. But so many triathletes are such awful climbers that I think when I hit hillier courses it hides that the bike isn't my strong leg. Because my climbing ability is above my overall biking ability.

So I don't mind hillier courses and all my prep centuries for IMFL have been rather hilly. My last one two weeks ago was 97m with 8000 feet of climbing.

The Home of Advanced Running
Advanced Running Instagram Page
My narcisstic training log
Quote Reply
Re: Apparently, I prefer the hills [justarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't come close to saying that I'm a good cyclist in any part of the course, hilly or not. This was my first attempt at a course which had pretty much no measurable incline and my back was definitely barking at me in ways I'd yet heard of. It's unlikely that I'll be motivated to do the likes of IMFL after this experience.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Just finished a flat and fast course (Barrelman). I destroyed my PR in the bike and overall time. In reflection, I think I'll be picking hillier courses. Sure, my bike time will likely be slower. But, after 2 hours of spinning with more of the same in sight, I couldn't help but miss the chance to go up a nice, long incline just so I can have the chance to sit up on the way up and coast on the way down. Apparently, changing positions on the bike helps a lot with overall comfort level in the taint and the back.

Anyone else notice this?

Definitely more interesting on a hilly course. There's one race I do every year where the difference in speed between crawling up the uphills and bombing the downhills is huge, which makes it very fun for me. Also as more of a roadie I always feel more at home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I completely understand. I just did my last ride on a flat hilly section of road and deff experienced more soreness on my taint. My two previous rides were both on hilly sections of road and I didn't realize how much of a break the change of position gives you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I picked my first IM (Lake Placid) based on it being a scenic course and hoping that the mix of climbs, fast decents, and a couple flats would make the bike more interesting and keep me from getting bored on the bike. It worked and being able to change position every so often certainly made it less difficult on my body expecially my back and lady bits. I am light (115lbs) so the climbs aren't too horrible for me and I'm "slick" through the air (as my coach says) so I can go decently fast on the downhills and flats, so a hillier course lends well to my capabilities. I decided on IM Louisville vs. IM Maryland in 2015 based mostly on the hillier bike course even though MD is only a 3hr drive but pancake flat. Another benefit of the hiller courses is that it helps break up the packs a little better spreading out the athletes and you see a little less drafting (there were a ton of race officials out there as well so that may have had something to do it as well.)

Elisha
"Triathlon doesn't build character. It reveals it."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, what are you talking about? We had to come up out from the tunnel under the canal and I'm pretty sure there was an overpass or two in there. ;)

It was certainly a fast course but I get what you are saying on the bumpier stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Apparently, I prefer the hills [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
Dude, what are you talking about? We had to come up out from the tunnel under the canal and I'm pretty sure there was an overpass or two in there. ;)

I have to admit, that was my first wind tunnel experience.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, indeed! I much prefer hillier courses.

I like to work harder on the climbs, and then get rewarded with a zooming descent.
Lather, rinse, repeat.

While the "new" LP course with the added aero section out to Ausable Forks is undoubtedly faster, I dislike it.
I was really, REALLY glad to get done with that, and mix things up in the rollers going over to Wilmington, then back to town.

For better or worse, I'm good at events like AmZof, Savageman, Harryman half, etc.
Not gonna PB**, but who cares?

** if you really wanna PB, head further north, to Demi Esprit.
Ridiculously fast course, dead flat.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply