Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Beyond Epic: 1993 Bordeaux Indoor Velodrome+track+portable pool tri [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Friends don't let friends watch 5-day tests.....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Beyond Epic: 1993 Bordeaux Indoor Velodrome+track+portable pool tri [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was awesome! Thanks for posting!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting the video (and to the original postes as well). Awesome racing. This was, in a way, the concept behind Rev3 Rush in Richmond, Virginia. A temporary pool in the middle of a raceway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlFfs5eA5MM
There was an Elite Development Race (double super sprint with a qualifying heat) but also age group races, all the way down to kids.

I think Track and Field is also trying to figure this out, how to showcase the sport and athletes. It'll be interesting to see if something like the Great City Games takes off: http://greatcitygames.org/
Quote Reply
Re: Beyond Epic: 1993 Bordeaux Indoor Velodrome+track+portable pool tri [simon lessing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
simon lessing wrote:
That is exactly what the ITGP series was.

ITU should take a look at what has happen in the cross country skiing world.
After a little bit of trail and error with format, distance and course profiles the sprints are now a part of the world cup, world championship and Olympics (Have to mention the Olympics since it is all about the Olympic here int eh USA).

Now you have a prologue in the morning - top 30 qualify for the next round, then 5 quarter finale with 6 athletes in each. The two fastest in each heat qualify for the semi + the two fastest times. Two semi finales, top two automatically qualify for the finale + two fastest times.
All of this can be packed in a TV and spectator friendly event.

This can be done in triathlon, especially in many cities in Europe, or even indoors.

Of course you need to find the correct distance of each leg to keep the competition exciting and make it possible for the athletes to perform.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rST_Fvh3JHU

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dev and Francois and Simon of course! Great fun. Lots of today's triathletes only know Allen for Ironwar. He raced pretty well at the short stuff too.

Did someone mentioned the French Irontour - http://www.triclair.com/...fit.htm#.VCN2pP3Ioza. I couldn't get it to play.

Lots o' vintage action here - http://www.triclair.com/...videos-triathlon.php
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Sep 24, 14 19:30
Quote Reply
Re: Beyond Epic: 1993 Bordeaux Indoor Velodrome+track+portable pool tri [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a bummer that events like FIT and indoor triathlons didn't pick up at the pro level (I guess, really a matter of sponsorship).
These were both very spectator friendly.
Quote Reply
Re: Beyond Epic: 1993 Bordeaux Indoor Velodrome+track+portable pool tri [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
It's a bummer that events like FIT and indoor triathlons didn't pick up at the pro level (I guess, really a matter of sponsorship).

Bump for current STers. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Beyond Epic: 1993 Bordeaux Indoor Velodrome+track+portable pool tri [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Francois wrote:

I guess they did somewhat. But I really don't see the appeal of e-racing. Good thing they haven't started doing e-swimming too so at least the swims are swims.
Quote Reply
Re: Beyond Epic: 1993 Bordeaux Indoor Velodrome+track+portable pool tri [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Francois wrote:

I guess they did somewhat. But I really don't see the appeal of e-racing. Good thing they haven't started doing e-swimming too so at least the swims are swims.

This type of race so incredibly spectator friendly, plus it would be a truly fair race with the swim, bike, and run of roughly equal proportions. Also, you could get the company that puts up temporary pools for the Oly Trials and other very important meets to put up a "fast" pool precisely measured at 50 meters; thus the swim would be very accurately measured unlike the vast majority of triathlons. These races would make the swim considerably more important. Oh the horror, the swim leader hangs on to win the the whole race.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Beyond Epic: 1993 Bordeaux Indoor Velodrome+track+portable pool tri [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Francois wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Francois wrote:

This type of race so incredibly spectator friendly, plus it would be a truly fair race with the swim, bike, and run of roughly equal proportions. Also, you could get the company that puts up temporary pools for the Oly Trials and other very important meets to put up a "fast" pool precisely measured at 50 meters; thus the swim would be very accurately measured unlike the vast majority of triathlons. These races would make the swim considerably more important. Oh the horror, the swim leader hangs on to win the the whole race.

The more I think of it, the format would be best as run - swim - bike. Start with a pack run like a track event, dive into the pool. Now you get to the draft legal bike, but everyone who get's lapped is tossed from the race. The bike should end in a sprint finish on the velodrome.

This thread is literally a 9 year old thread on a 30 year old event that was run on the boards of Bordeaux after Chris Boardman set the hour record on his Corima in Bordeaux but the year before Indurain and Rominger traded hour records at the same velodrome
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Apr 13, 23 19:13
Quote Reply

Prev Next