Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Advice Needed: inflation device (compressor) for tubless 29ner
Quote | Reply
Hey Gang,

I want to be able to change/install/work on my tubless 29er tires and while I see that someone (specialized?) has come out this floor pump that you can pressurize a chamber and then release it into a tubless tire to set the bead - I'm thinking I'd like to own a basic, small, electric compressor for this task and a few others around the house.

So, what's the best one? or best elements needed to succeed? And, can one easily acquire a presta adapter for a compressor?

Eager to hear what's worked for you, what hasn't work.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Advice Needed: inflation device (compressor) for tubless 29ner [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gas Station. Or a compressor with a tank.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice Needed: inflation device (compressor) for tubless 29ner [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just use a normal pump. Remove the valve core, spray very soapy water all around the tire bead and pump the pump until the seal pops into place. Take pump off, add sealant, replace valve core and pump up like a normal tire. No compressor needed.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice Needed: inflation device (compressor) for tubless 29ner [roberto24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can make a very effective ghetto version with X2 tubeless valve cores, a 2 litre drinks bottle, some gaffer tape and silicon sealant.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice Needed: inflation device (compressor) for tubless 29ner [roberto24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
roberto24 wrote:
I just use a normal pump. Remove the valve core, spray very soapy water all around the tire bead and pump the pump until the seal pops into place. Take pump off, add sealant, replace valve core and pump up like a normal tire. No compressor needed.

^^This^^

Also, make sure the center bed of the rim is taped (built up) appropriately. This provides a temporary air seal with tire bead when installing. Inflating with pump will then push/snap beads on to rim.

ADD: Do not remove valve core until AFTER you pump and initially set beads on rim. Then, remove valve core, add sealant, replace core, inflate as desired, etc.
Last edited by: Brushman: Sep 22, 14 5:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
'twas Bontrager....

http://www.bontrager.com/model/11881

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i got an inexpensive $100 compressor at the home center, the tank is maybe a gallon, it works fine for inflating tubeless tires and general inflating stuff. They are such poor quality I went with an extended warranty
Quote Reply
Re: Advice Needed: inflation device (compressor) for tubless 29ner [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went to Walmart and got this one:

http://www.walmart.com/...83950120&veh=sem
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have two road tubeless wheelsets and four 29er tubeless wheelsets, all of them have set with a cheap airtower floor pump. If you take your time and soap up the bead, everything should set up without a compressor or accumulator. If a tire gives you a problem, give it a shot with a CO2 inflator before you spend money on a fancy pump.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice Needed: inflation device (compressor) for tubless 29ner [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i got this little crappy thing, it works fin

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-gal-Portable-Electric-Oil-Lubricant-Air-Compressor-with-Combo-Kit-BS1003/205370018?N=5yc1vZc27p
Quote Reply
Re: Advice Needed: inflation device (compressor) for tubless 29ner [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay so Jaret let me ask you.....I can't believe that Walmart sells that will a presta pump adapter on it. How'd you resolve that? And have you been filling 29ers with it? Any problems?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously, this really does work, takes no more than 20 minutes to make and is definitely worth trying before buying a compressor

http://singletrackworld.com/...flator-total-cost-9p
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took the hose off of a bicycle pump and clamped it to the hose on the compressor.

I removed the valve core to the wheel to let air in quicker.

I've used Stan's conversion kits with the valve built into the rim strip as well as just the tape and valve. I think the conversion kits are easier to work with cuz they build up the rim surface to hold the tire bead.

I've done 26 and 29er wheels with UST tires and regular tires. UST tires are much easier to mount, Specifically the Conti Race King. Racing Ralphs are not too hard either.

I was never able to get a Kenda Nevgal wire bead to seal.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Advice Needed: inflation device (compressor) for tubless 29ner [Brushman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brushman wrote:

ADD: Do not remove valve core until AFTER you pump and initially set beads on rim. Then, remove valve core, add sealant, replace core, inflate as desired, etc.

I haven't done a tubeless bike tire, but why wouldn't you remove the valve stem to set the bead?

You do this on car tires to get a volume of air in faster to set the bead.

Also starter fluid plus lighter!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got whatever compressor was on sale at lowe's and got a presta-flator for it and have been very happy with the set up.

As for working on setting up your tires and working with different tubeless set-ups the best piece of advice I have come across is to do dry runs of inflations to see if you are in the ballpark. By dry runs I mean do everything but add the sealant, inflate and see if the bead will seat. If you are good add sealant and re-seat, if not you are not trying to add tape or other material to stuff all covered in sealant.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply