Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Maryland feedback and how quickly sell out? [JMatroni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I signed up. First time full IM. Picked this one after I did Eagleman this year. I liked the fast flat bike course and the swim really wasn't that bad at all. This race IMMD seems to have everything good for a first time race, specifically the flat bike course and spectator friendly run course. Somebody here already mentioned this could be a good alternative to IMFL and I agree with that (not having done either though).

Only the pushback by two weeks to October date is questionable, weather wise, but I'll just have to wait and see..

Good luck if you decide to sign up.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland feedback and how quickly sell out? [skaas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skaas wrote:
Have any Garmin files you can post?

Wouldn't it kind of look like this?: _______________________________________________________________
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland feedback and how quickly sell out? [jvgpfeifle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that the WTC got lucky, that was ideal conditions for the race. If the race was a day earlier the winds were blowing 15 - 20 mph (close to typical day on the eastern shore) the swim and bike would have been a nightmare for a lot of people.

That said I thought it was a great race. I don't like Eagleman at all and I love this race. The run through town was so much better. The people of Cambridge were great and I'll definitely be doing this race again in the future. Just be warned, if you think your signing up for a fast easy course think again. I think the chances for a windy day are better than a calm one.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland feedback and how quickly sell out? [crambo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
crambo wrote:
I think that the WTC got lucky, that was ideal conditions for the race. If the race was a day earlier the winds were blowing 15 - 20 mph (close to typical day on the eastern shore) the swim and bike would have been a nightmare for a lot of people.

That said I thought it was a great race. I don't like Eagleman at all and I love this race. The run through town was so much better. The people of Cambridge were great and I'll definitely be doing this race again in the future. Just be warned, if you think your signing up for a fast easy course think again. I think the chances for a windy day are better than a calm one.

Yes, the day before was terrible. The water was very choppy on Friday but, on race day, the water was nice and smooth. Friday, you had to ride your bike at a 45 degree angle. The wind was present race day but definitely better then the wind on Friday.

There were quite a few cars on the roads too. Several times, I was stuck behind trucks trying to get through the crowds. On the road with the rumble strips (cannot recall the name of that road), you would have to pass other cyclists to the left of the white line. Had several cars honk as riders would do this and the riders were not moving very far into the lane. Besides these few instances, it was a very nice race.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland feedback and how quickly sell out? [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be tempted to do this race some year, if only because it's a lot closer than IMFL or IMAZ if i want to take a shot at a sub 9.

However, that's also the reason that I anticipate it might eventually sell out...same reason FL and AZ sell out. Probably not this year, but it may gain traction.

I do think it might draw some attendance form FL & AZ and make those races easier to get into.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland feedback and how quickly sell out? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wish it had more then 30 Kona slots basically have to win your age group to KQ

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland feedback and how quickly sell out? [crambo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One can only control the controllables, and, as we've just seen with IM Tahoe, the weather conditions and wind direction are not controllable.
Last edited by: E7m5: Sep 22, 14 12:18
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland feedback and how quickly sell out? [nebeachbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nebeachbum wrote:
wish it had more then 30 Kona slots basically have to win your age group to KQ

Is that what the 2015 version will have for Kona 2016 as well? The things I've read only reference the 2014 race slots.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland feedback and how quickly sell out? [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
on ironman website it still is saying 30 slots so i don't think it is changing. Was hoping it was going to go to 50.

Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland feedback and how quickly sell out? [adamw507] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys were awesome! How did your group decide to go out there and did you draw straws for who had to wear the speedo? Were you out there all day? I know I saw you twice on the bike and on my third run loop.

I hope you can do this race. Are there others on your team hoping to join you?

Thanks again for the energy!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland feedback and how quickly sell out? [nebeachbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nebeachbum wrote:
on ironman website it still is saying 30 slots so i don't think it is changing. Was hoping it was going to go to 50.

Right, but

Ironman.com wrote:
26. How many slots to the 2015 IRONMAN World Championship will be available?[/url]
There will be 30 qualifying Age Group slots to the 2015 IRONMAN World Championship on offer at the 2014 IRONMAN Maryland.

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...s.aspx#ixzz3E5x06I3U

It doesn't look like its updated for next year yet.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland feedback and how quickly sell out? [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runner Rick wrote:
nebeachbum wrote:

Right, but

Ironman.com wrote:

26. How many slots to the 2015 IRONMAN World Championship will be available?[/url]
There will be 30 qualifying Age Group slots to the 2015 IRONMAN World Championship on offer at the 2014 IRONMAN Maryland.

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...s.aspx#ixzz3E5x06I3U

It doesn't look like its updated for next year yet.

You are correct! It does not specify what year on the home page the 30 spots are going to, maybe it has not been updated? I just emailed hope they respond in a timely manor. Fingers crossed.

Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland feedback and how quickly sell out? [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
You guys were awesome! How did your group decide to go out there and did you draw straws for who had to wear the speedo? Were you out there all day? I know I saw you twice on the bike and on my third run loop.

I hope you can do this race. Are there others on your team hoping to join you?

Thanks again for the energy!

We go out every year and volunteer at Chesapeake Man. This year with IMMD we had a teammate from UMD participating in her first and we went out in force to cheer her on. About 15 of us went. 5 were there in the morning and volunteering stripping a lot of wetsuits. I arrived later with 10 more and a grill to start tailgating and cheering on the bike course. When the bike course cut off closed we moved over to the run. The speedo was our former president and now VP Kevin. He's a character and bought that a while ago online. He won his age group at Lake Placid and will be sporting that thing at the KONA underwear run for sure.

I personally am trying to race it next year. I know I have at least 1 more teammate on our collegiate team (University of Maryland) racing. I'm trying to convince more. We race olympic distance in college but a lot of people are moving up to the Iron distance stuff. A lot of us including myself are broke and we get very little help from the University. So we scrounge up enough money to do some races and fix our bikes when need be but triathlon is an expensive sport and it's been 2012 till now when hopefully I can save enough money and afford another ironman entry fee over the winter. (that damn thing called tuition :( For my sake I hope it sells out but just doesn't do so until about January.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland feedback and how quickly sell out? [adamw507] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
whats estimated time to selllout?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland feedback and how quickly sell out? [TriBrad02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"50:05 was first out of water. He is a 50 minute swimmer. He had no issues and hit his time. 14 of the top 28 males were under 1:09. Not sure what you define as "top folks". I am not saying it was fast, but it was a manageable swim course from what gathered. It was a race with a high number of first-timers. Maybe this has something to do with slower times perhaps? Maybe it has to do with being so close to Kona, those age-groupers are in final prep for the WC and not at this one (also why no roll downs). With the easterly winds though, it would be hurting you as you went towards the bridge. On the flip side, it would be helping you come back to shore. I did not look at the tide chart so?"

I was 10 minutes slower in the water than both AZ & Placid. There was a current on the first leg going east toward the bridge. I swung wide left to avoid the crowd on the turn buoy and within two strokes got pushed 10 yards back into it. Swam toward shore to the 2nd turn, did the same wide turn and didnt get the same effect, so I'd guess the current out in the channel wasnt as strong closer to shore where it was protected by the marina. So upstream out, no push back. The top guy was 50 mins but the next group was EIGHT minutes back.

Great first-timers course, not the coolest town in the world but the course is gorgeous on the bike & lots of the run (water views), and lots of company on the run. Great race.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland feedback and how quickly sell out? [TriBrad02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBrad02 wrote:
50:05 was first out of water. He is a 50 minute swimmer. He had no issues and hit his time. 14 of the top 28 males were under 1:09. Not sure what you define as "top folks". I am not saying it was fast, but it was a manageable swim course from what gathered. It was a race with a high number of first-timers. Maybe this has something to do with slower times perhaps? Maybe it has to do with being so close to Kona, those age-groupers are in final prep for the WC and not at this one (also why no roll downs). With the easterly winds though, it would be hurting you as you went towards the bridge. On the flip side, it would be helping you come back to shore. I did not look at the tide chart so?

Drafting: after my ride (finishes in the middle of the lap box the racers were doing) I was driving home on the headwind section of the course. Only saw one pack of about 20 people working together. Real close together. Near the front so I assume this isn't their first rodeo. They know who they are because I politely encouraged them to play by the rules. Yes, that was me yelling at you to quit drafting. If they believe they were not drafting I can play the video my wife got of them for 1.5-2 minutes and unleash the hounds on you. Only real drafting I saw personally from the 20 or so miles I drove of the course to get to where I was going. I do not know if any in that group got a penalty. If I cared enough I would look at the video and get their numbers and look, but to what end?

I thought as an inaugural event it was done well. I look forward to seeing it progress.

I thought this analysis of the race was interesting:

http://www.coachcox.co.uk/...14-results-analysis/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone care to post a bike file? I'm just curious b/c the bike was so darn fast for so many ppl! Was it short, or was the wind just right for a fast split? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did IMMD on Saturday. It was finish #10 for me so lots of races to compare. It is interesting to read everyone's different opinions. I thought the swim was extremely slow, swam almost 10 minutes slower than IMTX despite more swim training. The buoys at the top of the loop had curved out by the time I got there. Felt I swam at least 2.75 miles. Loved the rolling start. It makes sense.

Bike was boring but blazing fast. If you practice staying aero for 112 miles you are golden. I stayed aero during the entire ride and it paid off big time. Didn't see too much drafting and saw lots of Marshalls. Unfortunately got dinged with a blocking penalty for not riding on the shoulder. Penalty tent was overflowing when I pulled up.

Run was boring as blazes. That run course could have been so much more fun if the downtown part of it was longer. Some aid stations severely understaffed. Nevertheless fast and flat run course.

Limited hotels did not bother me. Did airbnb and ended up in a huge house with 3 other triathletes. Best accommodation ever.

Also kudos regarding the overall logistics of the race. Everything was close and easy to find, easy race day parking, short line at registration, ability to get your gear bags and bike the morning after. Much more relaxing and less hectic than all the other ironman I've done.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland feedback and how quickly sell out? [jinci] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was my 9th IM and found the race to be great....felt like a local Sprint---smaller crowds--smaller registration lines---not that crowded on course---and yet was an IM.

Quick Thoughts:

Swim--I think it was about 10 minutes slow for those who started later in the seeded start. Crossing the start line on land and then baby stepping into the water and the dock area being so congested that you had to doggy paddle/swim with head up for about 5 minutes...My suggestion to the organizers would be to stick with the seeded start but have it in an area that is not confined like the dock ramps so people can spread out and swim right away. Louisville is a good example of this..

Bike--I saw limited drafting and was passed by officials pretty frequently--- I thought the course was great---the standing water from the rising tides in the marsh was different---and a few more volunteers would help at the water stations but overall great experience---thank goodness only 1 real long stretch with a head wind (mile 90-105?) Roads pretty smooth and enjoyed the course.

Run---I liked the 3 loops---I loved the run through town each time and wish they could add more of the course there in the future and maybe even put the finish line in town where the band was playing at the turnaround point---the run along the water was really nice----the run through the neighborhoods got pretty boring...

Overall--I signed up for next year primarily because it is only about 2 hours from home---but I was happy with the IM improvements to the course having completed Chesapeake man over much of the same course. I missed the crappy food and a dinner for the first time---I missed that part of the experience....Great race--loved picking up equipment of Sunday---loved racing on Saturday...for 1st timers I would suggest doing a "bigger fan friendly event" such as Louisville as the finish lines cant compare....

Next year--IMMD and then the following year thinking about IMCHOO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great race, and would suggest it.

the bike was fast because conditions were perfect and it was110.9 miles.

i am only one person but i saw WAY less drafting than FLA or AZ
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland feedback and how quickly sell out? [jjh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WAY fewer people right?

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland feedback and how quickly sell out? [Birdmantris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think there were only four or 500 less people than Florida.

But it seemed like a ton less.
Quote Reply

Prev Next