Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2014 Malibu Triathlon Crash [quid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Years ago, I did this race, but it fell off my personal radar for some of the reasons stated. I won't go into details, but I'll just say I was treated poorly by race organizers and they lack event basics like any kind of SAG, poor obstacle and course control(s), and what I'd call a "celebrity driven" mentally. You folks in LA will get my drift on that last one.

Anyway, I told my self I would never do that race again and am happy to say I haven't.

On a related note, Dan, I agree with your observations on the responsibilities of an athlete. They need basic skills like fixing a flat, safe practices while swimming, proficient bike handling, etc.

Caveat emptor -

J
Last edited by: Hoshie99: Sep 23, 14 12:09
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Malibu Triathlon Crash [quid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
quid wrote:
I've raced at Malibu three times but not in the last couple of years so I definitely can't speak to the organization for this year's race. If I remember correctly the years I raced there was traffic allowed in the inner two lanes of PCH with the remainder coned off for the race. Also we were warned ad nauseum about the speed bumps (I bunny hopped them all anyway).

It's never fun for someone to be hurt, but I never felt unsafe at the race. In fact, I've never participated in a triathlon where the road was completely closed to cars.

I did it once as a relay biker (2008... ish?) this was before the Oly I think. I was surprised too that there were cars in the lane, but the classic course turns off PCH and under the bridge at LC. The oly continues and then has to make a u turn in traffic (no idea where the crash occurred)

I don't think I have ever had a completely closed course either, and not sure a car entering the course is necessarily a RD safety thing (although it could be depending on the circumstances) but more of a "you ride the road, you takes yer chances" type of thing. Hopefully everyone recovers....
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Malibu Triathlon Crash [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"This event attracts people who are new to the sport, primarily funneled in by the corporate teams. I'd be willing to bet that maybe 1 out 4 participants in this event can actually fix a flat.

i live in the L.A. area. i'm familiar with the event. and what you said is exactly true. i'm a big booster of events that attract newcomers. nevertheless, a newcomer cannot always remain a newcomer, naive to the responsibilities one has to oneself as an athlete (if one decides to continue on as a multisporter). my intent isn't to berate anyone who isn't wise to the nuances of triathlon, but, neither is it appropriate to leave this new entrant with the view that it's someone else's responsibility to fix the flat when the tire is flat the morning of the race.

all of us were newcomers once. all of us knew pretty early on that you get to the race an hour and a half early, to make sure that, among other things, your equipment is ready. had you or i had the transition space next to this entrant, my guess is that either of us would have fixed the flat if asked.

Yeah I can't remember a time where I thought "I have a flat. Oh well, I'll just ride the flat until I see support." Then again I've only done 1 supported race (a full) during which I thankfully didn't even see a support vehicle. As for people being hit by cars. That sucks, but it can happen anywhere. I live on a small quiet island on the East Coast of Florida. We have a race series every summer. This year there was a vehicle v. cyclist accident during one of the races. Not to say the Malibu race wasn't handled incorrectly. Just saying that the organizers of my local race are great, the course is just an open course where anything can happen. Most people in cars are stupid :)
Quote Reply
Post deleted by idocdavid [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: idocdavid: Sep 23, 14 16:40
Re: 2014 Malibu Triathlon Crash [Bowser87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bowser87 wrote:
it literally BLEW MY MIND, that cars were on PCH
I always thought the extremely high race fee was because they closed PCH to all traffic. I sure hope all those injured are doing well and recover quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Malibu Triathlon Crash [Kentucky Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They "closed down" the right lane with cones. I think most of the bike leg had two traffic lanes on each side.

If my body isn't strong enough... I hope my wallet will be.
Last edited by: damnilocano: Sep 23, 14 15:18
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Malibu Triathlon Crash [idocdavid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bowser87 wrote:
Hi there. I was one of the guys working with the event planners in the transition area. I can't speak on the company's behalf, but I want to apologies for the, in my opinion, a terribly put together event. Athlete safety should be #1 and it literally BLEW MY MIND, that cars were on PCH. If I do work the event next year, I will speak to the man who calls all the shots and show him this thread if he hasn't already.

For all those hurt, I want to say thanks Bowser 87. Its not good to wait for someone to die or be crippled in this race. Make it safer, and then let it go on.

Either Mike Epstein Sports, USAT or both need to look at the 2014 injury report, or even this blog.
Then decide if changes need to be made.
Last edited by: idocdavid: Sep 23, 14 16:52
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Malibu Triathlon Crash [Kentucky Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kentucky Mac wrote:
Bowser87 wrote:
it literally BLEW MY MIND, that cars were on PCH
I always thought the extremely high race fee was because they closed PCH to all traffic. I sure hope all those injured are doing well and recover quickly.

They can't close PCH. There are residential areas where it's the only way in and the only way out.

I ride PCH all the time without the lane closure, so perhaps I'm not the best person to weigh in on how scary or not it is.

http://aclockworkmango.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Malibu Triathlon Crash [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"This event attracts people who are new to the sport, primarily funneled in by the corporate teams. I'd be willing to bet that maybe 1 out 4 participants in this event can actually fix a flat.

i live in the L.A. area. i'm familiar with the event. and what you said is exactly true. i'm a big booster of events that attract newcomers. nevertheless, a newcomer cannot always remain a newcomer, naive to the responsibilities one has to oneself as an athlete (if one decides to continue on as a multisporter). my intent isn't to berate anyone who isn't wise to the nuances of triathlon, but, neither is it appropriate to leave this new entrant with the view that it's someone else's responsibility to fix the flat when the tire is flat the morning of the race.

all of us were newcomers once. all of us knew pretty early on that you get to the race an hour and a half early, to make sure that, among other things, your equipment is ready. had you or i had the transition space next to this entrant, my guess is that either of us would have fixed the flat if asked.

Good point. What I really wish is that the event would put the rules on the website and explain bike etiquette, basic safety concerns, basic triathlon rules, etc..

It's a huge race for newbies but no one ever tells them the rules.

http://aclockworkmango.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Malibu Triathlon Crash [LuvMyCrappyBike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This event sounds like a nightmare that I'd never want to experience. I vividly remember watching last year's race with Jillian Michaels being followed by cameras and her having NO CLUE what was going on or what to do, sitting cross-legged in transition during the race, eating a Gu for the first time. I knew right then and there that the race was basically a "look at me!" event.

Glad to see the injured are recovering.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Malibu Triathlon Crash [devrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So when do you think they will report results to USAT? Its been over a month.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Malibu Triathlon Crash [The Sloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.malibutimes.com/...71-7b04afd59f97.html

Article in the Malibu Times regarding the Malibu Triathalon. Not well written, but at least awareness is raised.
Quote Reply

Prev Next