Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

best frame aero water bottle
Quote | Reply

I have a BTA bottle and would like to also race with abottle on my seat tube or down tube (rather than mounted behind the seat) withmy concentrated nutrition in it. I needa bottle with a valve that will allow me to squirt the contents into my BTAbottle (an xlab torpedo). Can someonerecommend an aero bottle that has worked well and minimizes drag? Thank you.

Quote Reply
Re: best frame aero water bottle [bencoolb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used the profile design bottle in the past (I think it's called a razor or something). It will do what you want - I used it for flat kit and it tested aero no worse than having nothing (on a shiv FWIW)

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: best frame aero water bottle [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the torhans but as flat kit also.
Really small hole and you have to squeeze the drink out while pressing the bottle, didn't like that. Doesn't help you for your plan though.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Bontrager areo bottle and cage are my choice for tt's 40K or longer.
Quote Reply
Re: best frame aero water bottle [Juanmoretime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Specialized Virtue is working well for me (seat-tube mount of a Felt B16).

Secure in its cage, easy to get out and replace, 600ml capacity.

Cheaper than all the other options I looked at as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Elite Crono CX has a nice valve to it, the bottle is actually quite 'squezable' I can dump all its contents into my Xlab Torpedo in about two goes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can tell you what doesn't work. I have a Profile Rz2. It's junk. But I suppose what makes it junk is probably the same for most of these aero bottles. First, its hard to get out of the holder, and there is a high probability of dropping it during release. Second, when you do get it out, its hard to drink out of quickly because the bottle is so rigid that you can't squeeze it to speed up drinking. Even standing on terra firma, it's hard to drink out of. Combine trying to stay aero and drink quickly and it's a lost cause. Third, the nozzle will pop open, but it's not actually open at that point. There is a second detent that is harder to get to before any fluid is released. Lastly, it's hard as heck to get back into the holder. Trying to do it in the moment or when your tired, you end up wasting time and aero position messing with a finicky mount.
Quote Reply
Re: best frame aero water bottle [Juanmoretime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Juanmoretime wrote:
The Bontrager areo bottle and cage are my choice for tt's 40K or longer.

I use that for my 2nd bottle in 70.3 and may do it in my upcoming full, but haven't decided.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: best frame aero water bottle [BigOlPapaBear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the Specialized Virtue. Only issue I have is the cap comes loose from the bottle when opening the nozzle with my teeth. Black tape solves that problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have two Elite Crono bottle and cages coming my way. I went with the cheaper version as it was only 9g heavier but a shit load cheaper. I was able to pick them up online for $34.00 each instead of the more expensive versions which are $85.00 each.
Quote Reply
Re: best frame aero water bottle [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was able to find a Bontraeger Speed Bottle. Does it generally cause less drag on the down tube or seat tube? If it matters, I have a Guru CR.301. Neither mount gets the bottle down to the bottom of the frame. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beats the heck out of me if there is a significant difference. I have the Bontrager Speed Bottle too and have it mounted on my seat tube on my bike. But, I have no choice in the matter since my bike is a Felt B12 and there is only 1 set of threaded holes for a water bottle. But, I personally wish it was on the downtube instead as I find it more easy to at least put a bottle back into the cage (first race with it lost my bottle only 3 miles into the bike leg of a duathlon...was getting a little thirsty by T2 time). Luckily it was still where I dropped it which was in the exact direction I needed to drive to go home.
Quote Reply
Re: best frame aero water bottle [nhmorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nhmorgan wrote:
I can tell you what doesn't work. I have a Profile Rz2. It's junk.

I can confirm this. Nearly impossible to pull out of it's cage, tough enough to drink from when standing still, and I don't see effectively emptying the contents into a bta.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bencoolb wrote:
I was able to find a Bontraeger Speed Bottle. Does it generally cause less drag on the down tube or seat tube? If it matters, I have a Guru CR.301. Neither mount gets the bottle down to the bottom of the frame. Thanks.

Did Bontrager discontinue this? I don't even see it on their website.

I haven't seen the XLab Aero TT bottle mentioned yet, that's the only one my LBS sells. But the bottle feels fairly stiff, as if it would be a bit hard to squirt a concentrated liquid out. Does anybody have any experience with that one?
Quote Reply
Re: best frame aero water bottle [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
got mine from ebay. I really like the bontrager bottle. very easy to lock in place and pull out, but also secure at the same time. The specialized virtue I've launched a few times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be interested in hearing what works for you. I'd like to do the same thing with a concentrated bottle. That means a translucent bottle that I can mark increments on would be ideal.
Quote Reply
Re: best frame aero water bottle [astig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the Bontrager speed bottle, does that black top just snap on? Is that black cap fixed to the bottle in any way? I'm just wondering how easy it is to refill on the fly.
Quote Reply
Re: best frame aero water bottle [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The top snaps on. Its very tight. Refilling on the fly would be a challenge. I use it to carry a concentrated mix to last the whole ride
Quote Reply
Re: best frame aero water bottle [astig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've refilled on the fly, as the top comes off in a different direction than the the bottle snaps out. However it will slosh with even a small bump while it's open... and you're looking straight down doing it. I never refill it. Its a back-up reserve If I totally miss and aide station. For hot races, I'll only put water in it.... since warm sports drink is nasty. Some other folks use it for a concentrated bottle, since you almost always have 2 opportunities to grab water at an aide station.

Also, of my 2 bottles, one is really ,really tight fitting and a little hard to get out. The other goes in and out easier. I have 1 labeled for "race" and one for "training".

Oh.. and you can't prefill bottles and carry them to transition... as the lid leaks when the bottle is placed on it's side. I fill it up on my bike before the race with another bottle.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: best frame aero water bottle [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good info, thanks. Yes, I was looking for something for concentrated nutrition, but I'd have to refill it once for an IM (from a BTS or SN bottle), so ideally was looking for something that was a bit easy to refill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like my Arundel Chrono. got on sale for $30 never given me any grief. Easy in an out.

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply