Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: wheels [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I meant the CXR60.

Perhaps I'm going off on tangents with which I have far less experience than others, but (possibly) saving 0.0001 of Crr or an infinitesimal amount of drag is hardly a game changer for me when you weigh the pros and cons of both.

I do wonder why the top testers our here (many of whom happen to be sponsored by a certain aerodynamicist and have loads of tunnel time) are still using tubs if clinchers offer such a huge benefit.

I'll be sticking to my tubs and light-ass wheels, although the OP is of course free to make his own decision.
Quote Reply
Re: wheels [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
Perhaps I'm going off on tangents with which I have far less experience than others, but (possibly) saving 0.0001 of Crr or an infinitesimal amount of drag is hardly a game changer for me when you weigh the pros and cons of both.

They aren't huge game changers. But if you weigh the pros and cons of both and decide "it doesn't really matter" clinchers offer some convenience. For instance, I can easily slap on a brand new tire to reduce the chance of flats in a big race. Or swap to a really really fast tire with no puncture protection if I get to the race and see the roads are pristine and there is no rain. etc

On the other hand if you have a favorite tire that hits your personal flat protection vs speed vs handling needs, and it happens to be tubular, by all means use tubulars!

Quote:
I do wonder why the top testers our here (many of whom happen to be sponsored by a certain aerodynamicist and have loads of tunnel time) are still using tubs if clinchers offer such a huge benefit.

Who are you referring to and what is their particular application?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course the convenience of tubs for me is that pinch flats aren't really a thing, sealant takes care of most debris and I can finish a race on a flat. Even though they're quicker to change, I only bring a spare when I'm off on holiday.

Drag2Zero. Most of them target 10-100 mile TT's. Don't think I've seen any of them on a 12hr or 24hr yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pinch flats are a benefit, though between myself and my wife in the last 6 years we have had a total of 1 clincher pinch flat, and it was after using a co2 badly so it was way under inflated, so I don't really see that as substantive.

When you use latex tubes in clinchers, sealant works really well with them as well.

What tubie tires do you use currently?

Grill wrote:
Of course the convenience of tubs for me is that pinch flats aren't really a thing, sealant takes care of most debris and I can finish a race on a flat. Even though they're quicker to change, I only bring a spare when I'm off on holiday.

Drag2Zero. Most of them target 10-100 mile TT's. Don't think I've seen any of them on a 12hr or 24hr yet.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Pinch flats are a benefit, though between myself and my wife in the last 6 years we have had a total of 1 clincher pinch flat, and it was after using a co2 badly so it was way under inflated, so I don't really see that as substantive.

When you use latex tubes in clinchers, sealant works really well with them as well.

What tubie tires do you use currently?

Slow ones!

Vittoria Corsa Evo CXIII 21mm in the front and Conti Podium TT 19mm on the disc. Probably going to Veloflex Carbons next season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I imagine the UK TTers are using very delicate tires like the Vittoria Crono, If you are willing to use that tire in a triathlon, tubulars might be the way to go.

But I would run it in the tunnel vs a 20mm supersonic and then sum up the crr and drag forces, to be sure!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Source: http://runblackdog.wordpress.com/...lars-vs-clinchers-2/

Conclusion from your link:

"For the vast majority of age-group athletes tubulars simply do not make sense. A good modern clincher tyre with a latex inner tube has a similar rolling resistance to a properly glued tubular. If a tubular is glued properly to benefit from the lowest possible rolling resistance then it is not practical to remove the tyre from the rim in the event of a puncture. If the tubular is lightly glued to allow removal during a race then the rolling resistance suffers and an equivalent clincher with latex inner tube is faster by around 20 seconds over 25 miles and 90 seconds for an Ironman. The weight difference between a clincher wheel and a tubular wheel can be negated if the rider on tubulars is carrying spares and even given a 300g weight difference a clincher wheelset is faster than a lightly glued tubular wheelset for gradients up to around 8%, with most races being not exclusively uphill so this will be more than negated by the clinchers performance on the flat and downhill."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
I imagine the UK TTers are using very delicate tires like the Vittoria Crono, If you are willing to use that tire in a triathlon, tubulars might be the way to go.

But I would run it in the tunnel vs a 20mm supersonic and then sum up the crr and drag forces, to be sure!

I think most are on Veloflex Carbons and Bottrill occasionally rides Supersonics (sponsored by Conti I think).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is a shame Conti doesn't sell tubulars with latex tubes. And what's up with all their tubulars having lower tpi than the clinchers?

If they made a Supersonic tubular with latex, that would be a good tire. Unfortunately all the tires with glued tread have poor aero performance it seems.
Quote Reply
Re: wheels [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
It is a shame Conti doesn't sell tubulars with latex tubes. And what's up with all their tubulars having lower tpi than the clinchers?

If they made a Supersonic tubular with latex, that would be a good tire. Unfortunately all the tires with glued tread have poor aero performance it seems.

Completely agree. I really like the Podium TT's. Probably the most robust tub I've ever used.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the reasons we are so clincher fanatic here is because the 4000S clincher is so fucking good for triathlon use.

durable, aero, fast, big enough to be comfy and corner well too.

if conti duplicated that in tubular there might be more tubie fanatics =)

Quote Reply

Prev Next