Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ask me ANYTHING...IMMT TJ Tollakson [Tollakson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
I had 3 hip surgeries to repair torn labrums in my hips (2x right hip, 1x left hip)

Do you mind sharing the techniques you use keep the hip joints working…stretching regimen, PT, etc?

Thanks for all the info!
Last edited by: elvispresley2k: Aug 24, 14 9:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tollakson wrote:
1. How many hour of sleep do you generally get in a week and do you sleep more or less post IM. I try to sleep 10 hours per day, 8 at night with a 2 hour nap. I sleep about the same post Ironman with the exception of maybe a couple of days of marathon 12 hour sleeps or 10+2 hour nap.

2. Do you do anything special with your diet during recovery weeks? For 3 days I eat whatever I want, so I had donuts, cheeseburgers, cheese curds, ice cream, etc. After that I will switch back to my plain old diet which doesn't vary much.

3. How early do you add intensity back on the swim and bike and when do you start running? I will add a bit of intensity after 2 weeks and start running of Tuesday of the second week.

Some questions related to running your company:

1. What special challenges do you guys have competing against global giants with massive marketing budgets and offshore manufacturing in Taiwan. We obviously don't have the deep pockets of our competitors, but we do have all our operations under one roof so our turnaround time is fast and we are very agile in our domestic manufacturing. We are positioning ourselves to be triathlon leader, but it takes a more direct message to our consumers.

2. What is your vision for Dimond 5 years from now? In 5 years, I see Dimond as one of the top 3 bike companies in the Kona bike count. I see us making a few models of bikes and expanding Ruster Sports into some other bike technologies (not just frames).

3. Will all your bikes use beam technology? No, we will put out regular double diamond frames as well using similar aerodynamic principles.

4. Would you expand into the touring market with a different price point frame? Yes, but that is a ways down the road for us.

5. If/when the UCI changes rules for the hour record would you like to see your frame under a rider trying to take a crack at Boardman's superman position record? Our director of egineering, David Morse, is more passionate about the Human Powered Vehicle (HPV) record.

OK, great answers....I am sure my FTP won't go up to 360W, but I'm going to give the 70 hour sleep week a shot one of these weeks....maybe this one is a good start. Nice to also hear about your company vision and also leveraging the domestic manufacturing over an assortment of product lines. All the best.

Edit: I have to say, this thread has been fairly interesting as it has covered topics ranging from race execution to physiology, to manufacturing, business strategy and product design. Pretty well covers everything that ST cares about....heck there was even some talk about running!
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Aug 24, 14 10:19
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me ANYTHING...IMMT TJ Tollakson [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you measure your IF?
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me ANYTHING...IMMT TJ Tollakson [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I have to say, this thread has been fairly interesting as it has covered topics ranging from race execution to physiology, to manufacturing, business strategy and product design. Pretty well covers everything that ST cares about....heck there was even some talk about running!

Agreed! Notable point, he only runs 50 mpw...as a pro...while training to crush an IM. (But bikes 300 and there is the take away)

Now I honestly think we should cut him loose. He has answered A LOT of questions and I hope he, and more pros, will do so after big races. I can only imagine it gets, maybe, a tad bit tiresome after a week when you are starting to think about getting back in the swing of things. Your insights have been great, now stop listening to us and get back to training. You can answer some more questions after your next win. (Yes, I have just spoken for about .003% of ST)

Oh yeah...nice race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hello TJ, so a pro pee from his bike or while running. I'm a bit curious. Do you just pee on yourself ? don't you have any irratation problem or running problem form having pee in shoes ?

Thank you !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No question, just comment... great race!
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me ANYTHING...IMMT TJ Tollakson [steelerguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
steelerguy wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
I have to say, this thread has been fairly interesting as it has covered topics ranging from race execution to physiology, to manufacturing, business strategy and product design. Pretty well covers everything that ST cares about....heck there was even some talk about running!

Agreed! Notable point, he only runs 50 mpw...as a pro...while training to crush an IM. (But bikes 300 and there is the take away)

Now I honestly think we should cut him loose. He has answered A LOT of questions and I hope he, and more pros, will do so after big races. I can only imagine it gets, maybe, a tad bit tiresome after a week when you are starting to think about getting back in the swing of things. Your insights have been great, now stop listening to us and get back to training. You can answer some more questions after your next win. (Yes, I have just spoken for about .003% of ST)

Oh yeah...nice race.

+ 1
Thanks for your great advice and insight TJ. Really great to see a top pro that has the generosity and confidence to give so openly.
Looking forward to seeing you continue to nail your future races!
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me ANYTHING...IMMT TJ Tollakson [Wors] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IF is measured as NP divided by FTP.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tollakson wrote:
I had a few requests for an "Ask me ANYTHING" thread about my recent Ironman victory in Mont Tremblant, so here it is...feel free to ask me anything.

You're a pretty quick swimmer, would be interesting to know your swim background, i.e. did you swim growing up, in HS, and in college??? If you did swim in college, where??? What were your best times in the 200 free, 500, 1000, and 1650, if you can recall??? Did you swim 200/400 IM??? I've noticed a lot of top triathletes are former IM swimmers, prob the "jack of all trades" thing that started early. I think Potts swam the 400 IM at the Oly Trials in 1996, as well as the 400 free and 1500 free.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Again thanks for doing this and taking time, a lot of useful info.
Also congrats on your race, I was there as well and you pass me on the last 500 m for your finish. Pretty impressive!
I had question regarding what did you do to adjust to cooler temperature/overcast/rain on race day? I come from Colorado and felt a bit challenge to lower my cal/ hr on bike and water, also had a cramp/ spams on calf on swim. And I had a major stomach ache on run on second half. I had a good race (enough for kona Q)by adjusting, slowing down (5 min stop bathroom)and letting stomach digest but was hard.
Within that how do you adjust for Kona temp and humidity specifically on nutrition?
Again thanks,
Manuel
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me ANYTHING...IMMT TJ Tollakson [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like he was a butterflier in high school, but only for two years.

http://tollakson.com/...temid=9&tmpl=raw
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me ANYTHING...IMMT TJ Tollakson [writhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
writhe wrote:
Looks like he was a butterflyer in high school, but only for two years.

http://tollakson.com/...temid=9&tmpl=raw

I see, thanks for the link!!!

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TJ,

Congrats on the great performance!

I have a question for you. How important do you think it is to train with the bike setup like it will be on raceday (wheels, bottles, etc.). Do you think that it is important to train on the bike at a similar speed to how you will perform on raceday or do you think that just training by power is sufficient, even though it may be 1-2 mph slower without raceday setup.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TJ, awesome performance, congrats.

1. What data do you display while on the bike?
2. Do you include "zeros" with your wattage? I betting you do which just blows my mind given your VI on Mont Tremblant.

Good thing you are so fast as 100 duck sized horses are coming after you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tollakson wrote:
I had a few requests for an "Ask me ANYTHING" thread about my recent Ironman victory in Mont Tremblant, so here it is...feel free to ask me anything.

Congrats TJ!

How many of these did you eat in your build up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-cPF-1IUp4

Upcoming goals?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TJ,

In your comments on bike performance and power output followed by a good day on the run, you reply with great detail on the bike numbers (which is awesome, thanks!).

But taking a step back for an age-grouper looking for some big gains, listening to Seton Claggett from TriSports on TriathlonResearch.org, the bike is probably less of a worry than just having good form and a stellar bike fit, and then go on to really improve running (Like Gwen Jorgensen just crushing the run.)

Did he just spill the beans give all triathletes an 'in for big wins' and tick off bike vendors everywhere?
Quote Reply

Prev Next