Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: A perspective from one of my heros [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, what about the roughly 10% of the population who choose not to have kids, and hence no grandkids either. Having kids is not for everybody. Are the lives of the no-kids people simply meaningless in your world view??? What about if they choose to have dogs and/or cats instead of kids???

Also, is 6 pm really your normal bedtime??? Holy smokes, Batman, in the summer that's 3.5 hrs before dark!!!

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: A perspective from one of my heros [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
So, what about the roughly 10% of the population who choose not to have kids, and hence no grandkids either. Having kids is not for everybody. Are the lives of the no-kids people simply meaningless in your world view??? What about if they choose to have dogs and/or cats instead of kids???

Also, is 6 pm really your normal bedtime??? Holy smokes, Batman, in the summer that's 3.5 hrs before dark!!!

What is important is family. That comes in lots of different forms. But many end up being like the song "cats in the craddle".

Yep, I go to bed at 6pm 99% of the time, read for an hour, and turn off the light at 7pm. Was up at 4 this morning so I could get the trainer in at 4:30 and the treadmill before
we left to help at a Triathlon race.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: A perspective from one of my heros [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

What is important is family. That comes in lots of different forms. But many end up being like the song "cats in the craddle".

Yep, I go to bed at 6pm 99% of the time, read for an hour, and turn off the light at 7pm. Was up at 4 this morning so I could get the trainer in at 4:30 and the treadmill before

Do your kids all follow a similar schedule? I'm trying to figure out (genuinely) how this worked with your kids. You're up at 4am (I assume kids sleeping), then off to work so you could work your 8 hour day (I'm going to assume leave at 6, home by 4:00 - that gives a 45 minute commute each way and a 1/2 hour lunch break, which might be off), then you're in bed by 6pm? If your kids had any after school activities, they wouldn't be home much before then?

Just had my first 7 weeks ago, so take that question from the perspective of someone trying to figure out how to balance things for the future. If my assumptions are off above, would you mind describing your average day when your kids were, say, school age?
Quote Reply
Re: A perspective from one of my heros [ieknox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ieknox wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

Do your kids all follow a similar schedule? I'm trying to figure out (genuinely) how this worked with your kids. You're up at 4am (I assume kids sleeping), then off to work so you could work your 8 hour day (I'm going to assume leave at 6, home by 4:00 - that gives a 45 minute commute each way and a 1/2 hour lunch break, which might be off), then you're in bed by 6pm? If your kids had any after school activities, they wouldn't be home much before then?

Just had my first 7 weeks ago, so take that question from the perspective of someone trying to figure out how to balance things for the future. If my assumptions are off above, would you mind describing your average day when your kids were, say, school age?

No, I am retired, the kids are gone. I did not get into this "me" sport until after my kids were older, and we did stuff with them. Sports, water skiing, swimming, etc.

Now, my kids did go to their rooms for a long time like at 7pm. While the kids were home I probably went to bed at 8.

We have NEVER watched any evening TV, ever. So many, IMO, seem to waste so much time watching TV. Seems time better spent either with family or sleeping.

Now I spend too much time on the computer. :o)

So in summary when I had my kids, there were no "me" sports. We would water ski 9 months a year. I would be in the swimming pool at 4:30 everyday after work teaching them, and the other kids whose
Dads were always working, how to swim. IMO, getting back into this sport when your kids are old enough to be on a team with you, which is when I started, is the best thing you would ever do looking back.
Now, living on a lake and being able to water ski as a family, did give me plenty of "me" time trying to improve skiing. But since water skiing takes so little time, and we always did it together with the kids in the boat,
it was still family time.

Best of luck. I feel SO lucky I did not find this sport when my kids were little. Not sure how I would have controlled my Type A. But now being older and so many folks used it all up younger, it is fun
being able to race well and still have some legs.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply

Prev Next