Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: S2 vs. S3....any aero differences? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't you hear? Fat is the new skinny for aero!!! P5 is way thicker than P4, at least it appears that way (perceptions are deceiving though). I won't bring wheels into this cause they are a weird little subset. How many grams slower is a S3 than a S5 and that is with a smaller wheel cutout, non-'hidden' rear caliper, lots of open space behind the crown fork and heaven forgive a tapered head tube. They can do it!
Quote Reply
Re: S2 vs. S3....any aero differences? [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One more quick question...

Is that seatpost flippable? I ride w/ a little bit of a steep seat angle.

Or do you offer a seatpost that isn't offset?

How do I get to 76*ish?

-Stephen in Arkansas
Quote Reply
Re: S2 vs. S3....any aero differences? [razorbacksteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the S2/S3 will accept an S5 2 position seat post so you could get the further forward position that way.
Quote Reply
Re: S2 vs. S3....any aero differences? [s5100e] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s5100e wrote:
the S2/S3 will accept an S5 2 position seat post so you could get the further forward position that way.

I think the S5 forward position is the same as the S3 position.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: S2 vs. S3....any aero differences? [s5100e] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi s5100e,

Exactly right.

The two-position post that comes with the S5 has 0 and 40 mm setback.
The one-position post that comes with the S2 and S3 has 20 mm setback.

The shaft shape is identical, so these two posts both fit each others' frames interchangeably.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damon,

IF the S5 post has a zero option and the S2/S3 has a 20mm set back, what is the effective seat tube angle if you use the S5 post in the S3 and use the Zero Offset option. 1-2 degrees steeper?
Quote Reply
Re: S2 vs. S3....any aero differences? [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi BMANX,

Yeah, something around 1.5 degrees steeper, depending on saddle height. The angle change is the arcsine of the (offset divided by the seat height):

anglechange = asin (offset / height)

But I like to think in millimeters instead of degrees. Using the zero offset (forward hole) on the S2, S3 or S5 frame is 73 degrees, but with zero offset. Exactly like sticking any zero-offset seat post into any 73 degree seat tube.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For someone using this post on an S2 or S3 frame and the right saddle, it could be a nice set up with some clip ons for the odd race if they only wanted a single bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
For someone using this post on an S2 or S3 frame and the right saddle, it could be a nice set up with some clip ons for the odd race if they only wanted a single bike.

that'd be me, i'm considering between a s3 / s-works venge with the enve ses aero road handlebar with its clip ons. has anyone tried those yet?
Quote Reply
Re: S2 vs. S3....any aero differences? [Chubbychums] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really like that set up and the thoughts behind those bars. I think that would be a great option as long as you can get the armrests low enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
I really like that set up and the thoughts behind those bars. I think that would be a great option as long as you can get the armrests low enough.

Stem swaps usually are pretty easy (and down-angled stems, and/or adjustable stems, are OK too :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: S2 vs. S3....any aero differences? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally agree with you on that. Adjustable stems seem the way to go in this case as it allows you to refine your position if you go this route without having to buy so many stems trying to perfect the compromised position.
Quote Reply

Prev Next