Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

best way to compromise on intervals?
Quote | Reply
I had intervals this morning - 6 min x 5 at threshold pace, 90 seconds rest in between. The heat started to really get to me after the first two.

Is it better to:

1. Run all 5 intervals, just doing the best I can (this is what I did, but the last 2 intervals were slow - but heart rate stayed high on them, so - good to be at or near anaerobic...right?)
2. Run as many intervals at threshold pace as I can (today was about 3), and just cut things short after that and hit it another day
3. Run as many intervals at threshold pace as I can and slow-run the equivalent time left because something is better than nothing.
4. Improvise and shorten the intervals or lengthen the rest period to, say, 3 min x 8, 2 minutes rest in between.

I'm not going to win any races, I'm trying to stay healthy, just trying to incrementally improve things for a fall marathon. Wondering where the ROI diminishes on days like this and how to be smart to get the best out of the workout if things go south a bit, like they did. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: best way to compromise on intervals? [nitrox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anaerobic threshold is not defined by a speed - it is defined by the mix of energy production systems your body is using. So continuing to do the intervals at the same effort level and heart rate, even though your pace slows, will provide the benefit you are looking for. How did you determine your threshold pace?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How were you measuring you threshold pace?
Quote Reply
Re: best way to compromise on intervals? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Threshold pace is about my 10k racing pace as a guide. My experience shows it's generally a good indicator of when my HR climbs up to anaerobic. When it's hot, of course, pace slows down while everything else is still working hard. I understand that "pace" is not the magic indicator, and pay closer attention to HR and perceived effort on my interval runs, but use my 10k racing pace as a general guideline and go from there.

So: as long as my PE and HR are appropriate for interval/anaerobic work, I'm on the beam - is that generally accurate?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suppose 10k pace is not too bad an estimate.... though lactate testing is by far the best way to determine it. So normally holding 5x 6min all at the same pace should not be a problem at all right? Just something about the excessive heat that one day?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1 or 2 depending on what you are trying to accomplish in this session and where you are in your season.

If you have not done this set before, perhaps your calculation of threshold pace was a little off. Pace is usually a matter of trial and error and you may need to back off just a bit next time.
If you have done this workout before but now find yourself unable to keep pace on the last two, it might be time to bail, especially if you have a race coming up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nitrox wrote:
I had intervals this morning - 6 min x 5 at threshold pace, 90 seconds rest in between. The heat started to really get to me after the first two.

Is it better to:

1. Run all 5 intervals, just doing the best I can (this is what I did, but the last 2 intervals were slow - but heart rate stayed high on them, so - good to be at or near anaerobic...right?)
2. Run as many intervals at threshold pace as I can (today was about 3), and just cut things short after that and hit it another day
3. Run as many intervals at threshold pace as I can and slow-run the equivalent time left because something is better than nothing.
4. Improvise and shorten the intervals or lengthen the rest period to, say, 3 min x 8, 2 minutes rest in between.

I'm not going to win any races, I'm trying to stay healthy, just trying to incrementally improve things for a fall marathon. Wondering where the ROI diminishes on days like this and how to be smart to get the best out of the workout if things go south a bit, like they did. Thanks!

Couple of recommendations. Always leave a little in the tank. Never completely exhaust yourself in a workout. Save it for racing. I favor some type of a way to regulate effort or pace when doing tempo type intervals. Otherwise people run them too hard or too easy (or both in the same session!). It is normal for heart rate to be a bit elevated if it is hot, especially if you are not heat acclimatized. So, letting your heart rate drift upwards a bit is OK as long as perceived exertion is normal. It is tricky business though. If you have heart rate and pace, you can generally sort it out. Otherwise, it is not going to matter too much if you just hold your normal pace or heart rate. You don't need a tremendously high level of precision with pacing tempo workouts. If you are somewhere in zone 4 or 10K race pace, it is good enough, again, as long as you leave a little in the tank.

Quick edit....I am generally in favor of completing the workout you scheduled, even if you are feeling a bit off. That way you don't start compromising too many of your workouts. Then you adjust your schedule after the workout to account for the fatigue if necessary. The exception would be if you are really, really trashed. In that case you probably ignored earlier warning signs and should have adjusted earlier.

Simplify, Train, Live
Last edited by: Mike Prevost: Aug 20, 14 15:26
Quote Reply
Re: best way to compromise on intervals? [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the great insights everybody. @rambler and @rowtotri, yes this is a manageable pace for me, if a touch hot. No pun intended as it was the heat that really snagged me. @Mike, good advice, especially for marathon training like I am.

I think I'll look at backing off my LT pace a shade and continue learning (hey, it's only been 10 years of doing triathlon) to deal with the heat. Appreciate the advice and support, thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use a heat adjusted pace according to the ambient temperature, Jack Daniels has an easy calculator. Should provide a good starting point and adjust as you go and how the pace feels and how your hr responds.
Quote Reply