Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: best ironman location all around experience which race should I choose [OhCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OhCanada wrote:
I have spectated/volunteered at IMMT the first 2 years, did the 70.3 last year and the full this year, staying in the village each time. I would say prices for hotels have been relatively stable. I don't think it will ever turn into a gouge fest as they won't want to punch the gift horse in the mouth. I'm assuming the resort is contracted to keep prices reasonable. The IMMT events are also used to promote local tourism and have people return. I doubt they want to leave a bad impression. I know a condo owner and he said they aren't even allowed to use their condo during 70.3 and 140.6 weekends to ensure there is enough vacancy to make race weekend successful

I have been to every IMMT....
1. I would disagree and say the prices have not been stable. Over the 3 years we have seen our room increase from 175 to 300$ a night. I would be extremely surprised if the ' resort is contracted to keep prices reasonable' . I have never heard of that business practice. Rather is it not a simple supply-demand?. The hotel we prefer is 50m from transition and not surprisingly many others prefer it too....hence the rise in room rates. And i dont see this changing. You are correct that it wont likely turn into a gouge fest ala Placid but that has more to do with MT having soo many more rooms available in and around the resort .
2. And re : not wanting to leave a bad impression. One thing we have seen from the quick sellouts at Lake Placid ... its almost impossible to 'leave a bad impression' with Ironman triathletes who have lots of DI. They will pay almost anything and they will keep coming back for more IF you give them that 'superstar treatment ' ::))

Quote Reply
Re: best ironman location all around experience which race should I choose [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
Is it just me, or is it odd that Penticton is mentioned a few times on this thread, but none of the other non-IM branded events like Vineman?

I don't quite understand the fascination with the IM branded event. I have done IM branded events and while they were awesome I don't think that the cost-benefit makes sense for their full distance races. $700 for an Ironman is nuts. $250-$275 for a 70.3 is much more reasonable. Full distance events like Vineman, Redman, and B2B have a much higher value proposition (in all aspects, experience included) than IM branded events. But for some reason people love themselves some M-dot and they fork out the cash.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: best ironman location all around experience which race should I choose [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
torrey wrote:
Is it just me, or is it odd that Penticton is mentioned a few times on this thread, but none of the other non-IM branded events like Vineman?

I don't quite understand the fascination with the IM branded event. I have done IM branded events and while they were awesome I don't think that the cost-benefit makes sense for their full distance races. $700 for an Ironman is nuts. $250-$275 for a 70.3 is much more reasonable. Full distance events like Vineman, Redman, and B2B have a much higher value proposition (in all aspects, experience included) than IM branded events. But for some reason people love themselves some M-dot and they fork out the cash.

I think just for pure racing your right. I just did my first Rev3 event yesterday and thought it was a good value, I did B2B last year, again good value and for pure racing as good as any event. But the IM events have more "buzz" to them - bigger crowds, typically closed courses, bigger expo's, more touches during the event (thinks like wet suit strippers, changing tents, big crowds at the finish). And of course, the hotels because of the size of events drive the cost up. Are they worth the extra cost? Hard to say but after being in the sport for a while I am a bit more choosy on where I spend my cash. The best thing that can happen is to have some true competitors to IM then we all win, but right now they are dominating.
Quote Reply
Re: best ironman location all around experience which race should I choose [blueraider_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueraider_mike wrote:
Lock_N_Load wrote:
torrey wrote:

I think just for pure racing your right. I just did my first Rev3 event yesterday and thought it was a good value, I did B2B last year, again good value and for pure racing as good as any event. But the IM events have more "buzz" to them - bigger crowds, typically closed courses, bigger expo's, more touches during the event (thinks like wet suit strippers, changing tents, big crowds at the finish). And of course, the hotels because of the size of events drive the cost up. Are they worth the extra cost? Hard to say but after being in the sport for a while I am a bit more choosy on where I spend my cash. The best thing that can happen is to have some true competitors to IM then we all win, but right now they are dominating.

I understand where you are coming from but I still don't think those intangibles (if any) are worth double the cost. Besides, I just did Vineman Full this year and the buzz was awesome, the expo was almost as good as the IM Village, they had wetsuit strippers, changing tents and yes (believe it or not) big crowds (not huge but big). And I paid less than half of what I paid for an IM full! Here's another data point: The Boston Marathon. The best finish line in all of endurance sports and one of the most incredible overall race experiences. Still half of the cost of an M-dot. Does not compute. But to each his own...

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: best ironman location all around experience which race should I choose [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I disagree that the off-brand offer more value. Different cost definitely, but more value is questionable. Having done Great Floridian and B2B twice and 6 IM events, the WTC events offer significantly more. More closed roads, far more volunteers, better courses (more leverage to close city centers, major routes, etc.)

Another point to consider is the competition. The last year I did B2B, I exited the water ~3rd(?) and finished the bike ~5th. I think I saw 4 people during 5 hours. And I'm not that fast. It's just too thin on the bike. That's pretty dull. Great race, well run, but not the same experience.
Quote Reply
Re: best ironman location all around experience which race should I choose [gleeclub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gleeclub wrote:
a few of you mentioned the road conditions of Wisconsin. How bad is bad??? Im not expecting perfection like IMMT (with the exception of the little speed bumps at the old village..lol). i did timberman recently and there were sections where the roads were pretty bad.

I have done IMWI the past four years and I have also done races of varying lengths throughout the country. I would call the roads at IMWI "average bad". They actually have improved a few trouble spots over the past couple of years. There are a couple of RR crossings and a relatively short stretch on Stagecoach that could rattle the teeth right out of your head. Other than those known hazards, there isn't anything else that isn't typical of upper midwest roadways. No doubt, I have raced some better courses but I have also been on substantially worse road courses. I have no idea when or where the one poster said parts of the course were unpaved. I haven't had any experiences like that.

I have not done Timberman so I cannot compare.
Quote Reply
Re: best ironman location all around experience which race should I choose [Tri-Cop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of the ones I've done, I'd rank them like this:
1. Whistler - tough to beat for location, climate, scenery and crowd support
2. CdA - town is awesome
3. Cabos - best vacation spot for the family
4. Lake Placid - similar to CdA
5. Boulder - solid, fair race
6. Arizona - the easiest among these
7. St. George - did the last installment of this in 2012, surprised I'm still alive
Good luck!
Quote Reply

Prev Next