Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Robin Williams - Early Adopter of Cervelo & Sugoi
Quote | Reply
I cycled with Cervelo co-founder Phil White last week. It was great to catch up with him. We were both sharing our "Robin Williams Stories"

Robin Williams rocking the orginal Cervelo P2K and a Sugoi jersey from the same time period, desigend by Vancouver artist Joe Average.

Phil shared with me that Robin had appeared on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson, one time, round about '97 and took a Cervelo bike on the set and leaned up against Johnny's desk while he was interviewed.

When I was working at Sugoi during that same time, I had sent Robin several samples of Sugoi jerseys - including several of the Joe Average ones. I had heard through his personal trainer that he really like them. He wore them when he road as part of the relay team in Bob Babbitt's Challenged Athlete Charity Triathlon during these years - which is where I believe the above picture is from.

For both of these small Canadian companies at the time, this was significant exposure!

Robin was not just a comedic genius, he was also a huge fan, friend and supporter of endurance sports. RIP

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Aug 19, 14 10:26
Quote Reply
Re: Robin Williams - Early Adopter of Cervelo & Sugoi [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow - artistically speaking, photo reflects his personality(s).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Phil shared with me that Robin had appeared on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson, one time, round about '97 and took a Cervelo bike on the set and leaned up against Johnny's desk while he was interviewed.

according to Wikipedia- Johnny retired in '92... and Cervelo was founded in '95.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for sharing. All the stories about Robin Williams are positive: not one bad word about him. All good!

I watched CBS's Good Morning Show last Sunday, which had a segment on Robin Williams; and last night, 20/20 had a segment on him. What a great, kind, guy!

RIP
Quote Reply
Re: Robin Williams - Early Adopter of Cervelo & Sugoi [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
according to Wikipedia- Johnny retired in '92... and Cervelo was founded in '95.

Thank you.

Then it was one of the shows similar to The Tonight Show - possibly Letterman or Leno. I just did a quick YouTube search but turned up nothing.

Williams was a regular on all the Late Night shows. You could spend hours, watching his zany, off the cuff, and totally ad-libbed antics, in these interviews. To me, this was Robin Williams at his best!

Quote Reply
Re: Robin Williams - Early Adopter of Cervelo & Sugoi [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I trust Fleck over Wikipedia.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Interesting stuff. Robin Williams was a great guy.

But, in the interest of historical accuracy, that is not a P2K.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Robin Williams - Early Adopter of Cervelo & Sugoi [TriBeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBeer wrote:
I trust Fleck over Wikipedia.

THAT's a signature waiting to happen!!!

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Robin Williams - Early Adopter of Cervelo & Sugoi [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But, in the interest of historical accuracy, that is not a P2K

What model is it?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn't it just the original P2? The one with the little fairing beneath the bottom bracket. I remember buying one from Nytro ('98ish) and the fairing was bent into the wheel area during shipping. Had to return it.

I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think, but I'm not absolutely sure, that it's a P2 (the first one, I say that because there's been a couple of other cervelo 'P2s' since then ... ).

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Aug 19, 14 12:17
Quote Reply
Re: Robin Williams - Early Adopter of Cervelo & Sugoi [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(giggle)...classic ST research of every factoid thing said...
Quote Reply
Re: Robin Williams - Early Adopter of Cervelo & Sugoi [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Made me laugh, too.

The factoid isn't that important to the overall message. Now what's the P2 stuff! Geez.

It's hard to have a conversation sometimes.
Quote Reply
Re: Robin Williams - Early Adopter of Cervelo & Sugoi [TriBeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that we have the name right(!!), one thing I will say is that Cervelo was ahead of their time with the aerodynamics of the frames - working with the standard double diamond UCI legal frames.

Just have a close look at the frame that Robin Williams is holding.

Remarkably it was a tough sell in the road market and it would be a number of years before they started to get traction there. Meanwhile the triathlon market embraced the bikes and the brand early on.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you. I appreciate these bike/Cervelo facts.

Robin Williams made a good bike choice.
Quote Reply
Re: Robin Williams - Early Adopter of Cervelo & Sugoi [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
I think, but I'm not absolutely sure, that it's a P2 (the first one, I say that because there's been a couple of other cervelo 'P2s' since then ... ).
Look next to his right hand.
Quote Reply
Re: Robin Williams - Early Adopter of Cervelo & Sugoi [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
(giggle)...classic ST research of every factoid thing said...

Don't let facts get in the way of a good story...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to be a ST trainspotter, that looks more like a P2 than a P2K. The K had no seat mast, but an aero seat post. Plus it looks like his bike has the P2 shark fin under the BB. the P2K didn't have that.

My P2K has the same HED3 wheels tho.

I love that Robin has it in the big ring too! ;-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's so sad. :( This dude was really really interesting. Such a great comedian/actor. Triathlete and cyclist? And apparently he played Counterstrike a lot and he was good at it.
Quote Reply
Re: Robin Williams - Early Adopter of Cervelo & Sugoi [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This dude was really really interesting. Such a great comedian/actor. Triathlete and cyclist?

The thing that was intriguing about Robin was he was genuinely interested in endurance sports. He was a fan. He was knowledgeable. That's rare, in general North American society dominated by Pro Team sports, and even rarer still among the Hollywood elite.

Quote Reply
Re: Robin Williams - Early Adopter of Cervelo & Sugoi [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And he ran a 34 minute 10K. (and edited to include the link to the numbers: http://www.runnersworld.com/...williams-my-teammate).
Last edited by: karencoutts: Aug 20, 14 15:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watched Robin Williams on Bravo last night. Amazing! Brilliant!.....

I found this YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqdSagycCWc
Quote Reply