Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Silca floor pump - $450 [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
There is a small but steadily growing group of people not just in this business, but in a number of businesses who are attempting to turn back the clock and get back to making their own stuff, and making their own stuff right here, from locally sourced suppliers.

Is $450 for a pump expensive - yes. Is it for everyone - no.

A good friend of mine from the business, who at one time owned one of the apparel companies, now spends his time designing and making T-shirts, that cost $35. They are made locally. With the finest cotton available. Many think paying $35 for a t-shirt is nuts - but he is continually sold out, and there is an over-demand for the shirts!

Oh, so it is a Hipster pump!

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: New Silca floor pump - $450 [SPL Tech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SPL Tech wrote:
Do you really think a 5 PSI difference makes for more than an aero helmet?

If it causes you to be 5psi too high, possibly.
Also I was talking aero-road helmets, not real aero helmets =)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: New Silca floor pump - $450 [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe, but you are missing the point.

At some point the whole everything-made-cheaply-in-china model is going to reach an end-point or it may collapse in on itself. In fact if you double, the price of oil/gas, the latter would happen quite quickly.

Think about the absurdity of it all. Cotton grown in some place. Shipped all the way to China, then, turned into a T-shirt that is then shipped all the way back to North America. How can that T-shirt be $7.99?

Some people in business have decided to get off that tread-mill, and get back to the way things were 50+ years ago. For now, these goods will be considerably more expensive. But over time they may come down in price as home-based manufacturing starts to come back more in line and volumes go up.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just so there is no further confusion: The first line of the Silca pump's description is "Functional Work of Art"...

Remember Luddites are people too...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please tell me you got that my "pink font" was to be humorous. Sigh. This thread is worthless.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I saw the pink, but there is some truth in what you said, despite the pink. I was just attempting to counter that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Maybe, but you are missing the point.

At some point the whole everything-made-cheaply-in-china model is going to reach an end-point or it may collapse in on itself. In fact if you double, the price of oil/gas, the latter would happen quite quickly.

Think about the absurdity of it all. Cotton grown in some place. Shipped all the way to China, then, turned into a T-shirt that is then shipped all the way back to North America. How can that T-shirt be $7.99?

Some people in business have decided to get off that tread-mill, and get back to the way things were 50+ years ago. For now, these goods will be considerably more expensive. But over time they may come down in price as home-based manufacturing starts to come back more in line and volumes go up.

______

I know this is ST ..... but even for ST that is a pretty amazing statement ;-) .... what sort of time frame were you thinking about ???????

Dave :-)
Quote Reply
Re: New Silca floor pump - $450 [dcsxtri10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what sort of time frame were you thinking about ???????

Could be decades.

It's taken several decades for us to reach this point of consumer and consumption absurdity. I expect no immediate changes of significance over the short term.

As I said there is a small but steadily growing market of various manufacturers, in various product categories - look up Shinola to start, who have started to turn back the clock on all this.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
what sort of time frame were you thinking about ???????

Could be decades.

It's taken several decades for us to reach this point of consumer and consumption absurdity. I expect no immediate changes of significance over the short term.

As I said there is a small but steadily growing market of various manufacturers, in various product categories - look up Shinola to start, who have started to turn back the clock on all this.

---------
I'll buy decades (or centuries) .... but I'll likely be dead by then so no worries for me. You set me up .... so I admit I don't know sh*t from shinola .... sorry 'bout that.
Have a good day .... I won't pester you further ;-)

Dave :-)
Quote Reply
Re: New Silca floor pump - $450 [dcsxtri10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No problem - I like looking at these big complex things that have become default, but can't or won't be that way forever.

You are right, we both may be long gone, by the time it all swings back the other way, and our western economy will have to go through some very disruptive and convulsive shocks, like we have never seen. But as I said, double the current price of oil/gas, and you are almost there!

I heard GE as an experiment, went back to a moth-balled plant of theirs where they had made water-heaters in the past. Now, almost all water heaters are made in China. GE brought together the best engineers, production managers and key suppliers - the goal - make a water heater in that plant that could be close to the ones made in China in price AND better quality. They did it, and my understanding is that, they have started a limited production run in that facility!

Quote Reply
Re: New Silca floor pump - $450 [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does it convert air into rainbows?

Velosurance - bicycle insurance
Quote Reply
Re: New Silca floor pump - $450 [tdstegner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tdstegner wrote:
They do have a $110 presta chuck... BTW, I have one on my rebuilt 1986 SILCA pump - by far the best valve chuck I've ever used. By best I mean it works better than any other: easier to use, fast to connect, absolutely will not blow off and it works on disc wheels... Not to mention it's a "work of art".
If you have a problem with their $450 pump, you must also disagree with, for instance, all the high end mechanical watches so many people seem to buy. They offer no discernible advantage over most any decent quartz watch. At least the Silca pump should work as well as any other you can buy. Unlike my Rolex, which doesn't even keep good time (relative to, say, my Timex Ironman)

Ahhh.... but your Rolex you can pass on to your children, and their children - and its value increases as the years go by (assuming you don't trash it). Moreover, there will ALWAYS be a buyer for your Rolex anytime, anywhere. And depending on its model, the price could be three times higher than what you paid for when new.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

>Think about the absurdity of it all. Cotton grown in some place. Shipped all the way to China, then, turned into a T-shirt that is then shipped all the >way back to North America. How can that T-shirt be $7.99?

It's not absurd because container shipping overseas is extraordinarily efficient and low-cost relative to labor cost. Costs around $8000 to send a container from China to the U.S. That container could contain several years inventory of Super Pista Pumps. Actually it could probably contain years worth of Silca's entire product line. But that same cost could only cover one employee's salary for a few months, at best. Even doubling that cost, while having an effect, still wouldn't completely reverse globalization.

Shipping small stuff (e.g. bike industry stuff or t-shirts) by container is all but free.

It's different for volume-occupying stuff like cars, I'd think.
Quote Reply
Re: New Silca floor pump - $450 [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed regarding the investment value of the watch. However, mine has been my every day watch for 30 years now - it's a bit worse for wear. However, nothing $300 - $500 in cosmetic repairs wouldn't fix though - maybe next time it has to be cleaned (about every five years or so). Last time it was sent back to Rolex for cleaning it cost $385 for the work. Makes one wonder about "Investment value"... Even in top condition, I doubt I could recover my investment considering inflation. If you want to make money, jewelery is seldom a good investment. Lifestyle investments are another thing altogether - that's where a $450 bicycle pump might make some sense...

Remember Luddites are people too...
Quote Reply
Re: New Silca floor pump - $450 [tdstegner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the best comment from BikeRumor.com. Sum's up my views on this pump perfectly:

Quote:
"I’m a hipster and I was going to pay lots of money for well designed Apple, I mean Silca products, but then I learned that it isn’t vegan."

Quote | Reply
It isn't about need. Nearly all of the bike related purchases that we all make are based on need, but rather "want".
Quote Reply
Re: New Silca floor pump - $450 [santino314] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$450 for a floor pump?? Maybe if it said Campy on it

Quote Reply
Re: New Silca floor pump - $450 [santino314] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What, exactly, does that thing do?

Last edited by: d00d: Aug 21, 14 13:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tdstegner wrote:
It sounds like the chuck is very nice.

Actually, the nice chuck that everyone is talking about with the lever is not actually on the $450 pump. You would need to spend another $100 from Silca to get the "nice" pump head. So really it is a $550 pump. Just saying.
Last edited by: nightfend: Aug 21, 14 13:35
Quote Reply

Prev Next