Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bad Luck for me? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

Everyone else, I realize I need to learn to change the tube but at the moment it is not a priority. I've gone from sedentary slug to doing an Oly in five months (and I'm scared shitless I won't be able to finish) and I've been learning a lot of other things like hydration, fuel, wetsuits, and training for what will be my biggest personal athletic achievement to date a week from Sunday. I never had a flat until this week and the first one was from a chunk of glass. Trust me I don't want to spend the money but at the moment it is a better allocation of my resources and time to pay for them to do it so I can get back out there and ride instead of taking an afternoon or two learn to change it. Since we have long winters in Chicago I figured it would be a good project to learn bicycle mechanics etc. after everything happened. You guys have kind of saved me another post asking hey where do I learn this stuff and is it hard.

It's going to take you maybe 20 minutes to learn. I'm a middle aged woman who never does anything mechanically inclined and I learned how to change my back tire when it flatted from watching one video that I found on youtube that Trek put up there. If I can do it you can.

What happens when you flat 30 miles from home?
Quote Reply
Re: Bad Luck for me? [Erin C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree Erin -- as another middle aged woman that can change my own flats/tubes.

In fact, my hubby and I showed up for indoor trainer class one night over the winter and I realized I had a flat. My coach (yes, I'm a middle aged woman with a tri coach - so sue me because I like it and it's not a financial burden) handed me a tube and said "Here ya go!" When I laughingly said "Hey, aren't you going to change it for me?" He said "That's not what you pay me for. Besides, this is part of the coaching experience -- making sure you know how to handle things for yourself." Then he and my hubby chatted while I changed my tube.

Windywave - it is one of those things that really seems more intimidating than it is. Once you learn to do it, you'll have a lot more confidence when you're out on a long ride. And race support never shows up when you need them. Trust me.
Quote Reply
Re: Bad Luck for me? [Kscycler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kscycler wrote:
You've obviously captured the sentiment of the crowd; that is, learn to change a flat and learn to look at your equipment with a discerning eye. I'll share what my Dad told me when I was in a similar situation many years ago. He said, "Unless it was built by men from outer space, then it was built by a guy with no more brains than you. So, dig in and take it apart and figure it out." That's been pretty good advice and encouraged me to learn a lot about mechanical systems.

I'll also share the seldom-discussed insider mechanic secrets. There are three of them and these secrets will allow you to accomplish any mechanical feat on your bicycle. They truly are the keys to the bike mechanic kingdom.

Secret #1 - Lefty Loosey
Secret #2 - Righty Tighty
Secret #3 - Secret #1 and #2 apply to everything on your bike EXCEPT the left pedal, most right-hand bottom bracket threads, and some crank self-extractor bolts.

Secret#4 - For pedals, BACK OFF. Turn the wrench toward the BACK of the bike to take the pedal OFF.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eric wrote into velonews with a similar question. Find it here: http://velonews.competitor.com/...and-pressures_340826

Basically if you don't talk about the width of your tires it doesn't make sense to talk about the pressure. Also there's a lot of bad advice out there so good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what's the best video out there to watch to learn to change tires? Any special tools that I need?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
best video? just youtube it and click the first link!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
So what's the best video out there to watch to learn to change tires? Any special tools that I need?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZbeR0mJBkk

This is the one I used. No idea if it is the best or not but I did get the tire changed fine. What I did was watch a bit of the video, go repeat her actions, the watch the next step.

You'll need a set of tire levers. That's about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Bad Luck for me? [Erin C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I changed both of the tires on my bike. . . not as easy as it appears on the multiple videos I watched.

Thanks for all the advice and tips.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did you change the tires or tubes? Some tires can be a real challenge to mount on certain wheels
Quote Reply
Re: Bad Luck for me? [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
walie wrote:
did you change the tires or tubes? Some tires can be a real challenge to mount on certain wheels

I changed the tubes, but I had to take the tires off to do so.
Quote Reply

Prev Next