Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Anyone else think that 70.3 and 140.6 are kind of absurd, since adding miles of swimming, miles of cycling, to miles of running is kind of ridiculous??? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's interesting to note that both the Ironman distance and the marathon run distance were arrived at mostly by happenstance.

The orginal Ironman distances were arrived at because the first Ironman was contested putting together three existing events - the Wakiki Rough Water Swim(2.4 miles), the Around Oahu Bike Race (112 miles) and the Honolulu Marathon (26.2 miles) . . . and so it goes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironman_Triathlon

As for the marathon the original Olympic Marathon was meant to honor the run by Pheidippides from Marathon to Greece(a distance of about 25 miles), to announce the defeat of the Persians.

The first Olympic Marathon was about that 25 mile distance. The modern standard (26.2 miles) was arrived at in 1908, when London Olympic organizers were asked to extend the start to Windsor Castle, so the Royal Family could watch the start and then run a full lap of the track and finish in front of the Royal Box.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marathon

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Aug 19, 14 12:30
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else think that 70.3 and 140.6 are kind of absurd, since adding miles of swimming, miles of cycling, to miles of running is kind of ridiculous??? [HendrikMDik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HendrikMDik wrote:
So what in life does have meaning for you EM? That's the real question. When you point out something that has meaning, maybe I'll stop my absurd chase for faster completion of the 140.6. It better be a worthwhile endeavour, cause its hard to top the committment of most Full distance athlete's 140.6miles plus transitions for being the most committed at any given dinner party...

I've remarked elsewhere that most races seem contrived because the finish line is a few hundred yards away from the start line, no matter the pretend "distance" of the race. In other words, we swim/bike/run all day to go nowhere.

For my next race, I will spectate an ironman. At the gun, I will walk one step in a direct line toward the finish. And every 2 minutes thereafter, I will take another step toward the finish line. Maybe 12 hours later I will reach the finish line.

And then I will interview competitors; both those who beat me to the finish, and those who did not. And I will try to determine which of us enjoyed a more meaningful day.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else think that 70.3 and 140.6 are kind of absurd, since adding miles of swimming, miles of cycling, to miles of running is kind of ridiculous??? [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlwaysCurious wrote:
HendrikMDik wrote:

So what in life does have meaning for you EM? That's the real question. When you point out something that has meaning, maybe I'll stop my absurd chase for faster completion of the 140.6. It better be a worthwhile endeavour, cause its hard to top the committment of most Full distance athlete's 140.6miles plus transitions for being the most committed at any given dinner party...

I've remarked elsewhere that most races seem contrived because the finish line is a few hundred yards away from the start line, no matter the pretend "distance" of the race. In other words, we swim/bike/run all day to go nowhere.

For my next race, I will spectate an ironman. At the gun, I will walk one step in a direct line toward the finish. And every 2 minutes thereafter, I will take another step toward the finish line. Maybe 12 hours later I will reach the finish line.

And then I will interview competitors; both those who beat me to the finish, and those who did not. And I will try to determine which of us enjoyed a more meaningful day.

Obv all the finishers had a more interesting and more "meaningful" day than you did, as your mode of moving 1 step every 2 min sounds like torture IMO. I'm not saying that the iron race has no meaning per se but rather simply that 140.6 miles has no context unless you specify how the miles are done.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else think that 70.3 and 140.6 are kind of absurd, since adding miles of swimming, miles of cycling, to miles of running is kind of ridiculous??? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol everything about a 70.3 and a 140.6 is absurd
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else think that 70.3 and 140.6 are kind of absurd, since adding miles of swimming, miles of cycling, to miles of running is kind of ridiculous??? [booyuhpooyuh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
booyuhpooyuh wrote:
Lol everything about a 70.3 and a 140.6 is absurd

Nah, i wouldn't say everything about 70.3/140.6 is absurd, espec not the 70.3, which can be done as a nice long workout on any given Saturday:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
AlwaysCurious wrote:
HendrikMDik wrote:

Obv all the finishers had a more interesting and more "meaningful" day than you did, as your mode of moving 1 step every 2 min sounds like torture IMO. I'm not saying that the iron race has no meaning per se but rather simply that 140.6 miles has no context unless you specify how the miles are done.

Ahhh, yes, the "sounds like torture" part is what gives it meaning! Really, truly imagine being fully trained to swim, bike and run an IM, but instead walking from the start to the finish via the shortest distance, yet stretching it out over the same amount of time you could have been enjoying the s/b/r!!

A totally clear mind would be needed; staying in the moment, embracing every second of that 300 yard journey. Being aware of every ache in your body, every nag of boredom in your brain. Finally seeing the finish line 25 yards away, but knowing it would take you another hour to get there.

That journey would require a calm mind, a soul at rest, a truly enlightened being. Testing every ounce of your courage, every fiber of your being that just want to run those last 50 yards to avoid 2 more hours of excruciating tedium. I really can't imagine a more meaningful day.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else think that 70.3 and 140.6 are kind of absurd, since adding miles of swimming, miles of cycling, to miles of running is kind of ridiculous??? [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlwaysCurious wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
AlwaysCurious wrote:
HendrikMDik wrote:

Ahhh, yes, the "sounds like torture" part is what gives it meaning! Really, truly imagine being fully trained to swim, bike and run an IM, but instead walking from the start to the finish via the shortest distance, yet stretching it out over the same amount of time you could have been enjoying the s/b/r!!

A totally clear mind would be needed; staying in the moment, embracing every second of that 300 yard journey. Being aware of every ache in your body, every nag of boredom in your brain. Finally seeing the finish line 25 yards away, but knowing it would take you another hour to get there.

That journey would require a calm mind, a soul at rest, a truly enlightened being. Testing every ounce of your courage, every fiber of your being that just want to run those last 50 yards to avoid 2 more hours of excruciating tedium. I really can't imagine a more meaningful day.

Hmmm, well, I suppose this 300 yd walk in 12 hrs could be possible, with a really, really calm mind/soul, but it sounds pretty damn challenging, harder than an actual IM:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As rediculous as renaming/promoting Half Marathons as "Marathon 13.1."
"Ironman" is understandable even to my non-triathlete friends.
"Ironman 70.3" seems like a statistical trick.
Maybe it is.

- jon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Hmmm, well, I suppose this 300 yd walk in 12 hrs could be possible, with a really, really calm mind/soul, but it sounds pretty damn challenging, harder than an actual IM:)

The best part is--unlike the competitors--I'd be able to GoPro the entire thing and have slowtwitch follow me with live gps tracking.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The best part is--unlike the competitors--I'd be able to GoPro the entire thing and have slowtwitch follow me with live gps tracking.

I'm sure ST-ers would follow you!!! Actually, if you get the top finishers to come over to "your spot", you could interview them all right after they finished, discuss your comparative experiences and broadcast that on your GoPro also. Now that might be worth watching:)

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else think that 70.3 and 140.6 are kind of absurd, since adding miles of swimming, miles of cycling, to miles of running is kind of ridiculous??? [HendrikMDik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HendrikMDik wrote:
Jctriguy wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
HendrikMDik wrote:
We could keep this post alive on the first page indefinitely if we keep having random chats here... :-)

Ya, we could and i plan to keep it alive since i still think that, just conceptually, adding such different types of miles has little to no meaning.

This is the fundamental problem with this thread. Who said that 140.6/70.3 have to have a meaning? 70.3 was started as a way to avoid calling or a 'half'. Beginning and end of story. It is a marketing slogan built by a company. In that sense, it means that you are racing a half distance ironman.

That's not the problem with this thread. That's the great thing about this thread. It does have meaning.

Maybe as Eric suggests, the numbers themselves don't have much meaning. But that doesn't stop them from having some kind of meaning to the people that chase them. And a lot of us do.

Whether you're chasing 'Ironman' and buy into the M-Dot tattoo franchise, or you're chasing some kind of a medal (podium, finishers) or you're a pro and in it for the huge gains. Or maybe you're a new dad and it's your way of stealing time to do something selfish because the rest of your life is dedicated to raising a family.

There is meaning in those numbers. It's not a Da Vinci Code kinda meaning. At least not that I'm aware... But to have so many of us dedicating huge parts of our lives in chasing it, there must be some kind of meaning in it.

A/C - to give up on this thread now would be to give in to the idea that there is nothing in all of these hours. To accept that, like Eric suggests, all of these early mornings and painful steps are worthless. And I refuse to do that. Until this thread has a 140.6 pages. It has to keep on going.

I have never said that there is no "meaning" in the 70.3/140.6 races but rather simply that adding apples, grapes, and watermelons doesn't really make much sense. But, regardless of this somewhat pedantic issue, any race has meaning if you choose to make it so. You could focus on improving your 5000 m run time on the track, or your 1500 m swim time in the pool, or your 40K bike time in a certified, all-out time trial. All of these have meaning and require huge amounts of time investment to do your very best. Top swimmers and cyclists train just as many hours as top triathletes. Also, if you compete on a certified track, pool, or bike course, you know with certainty that you have improved, whereas IM courses vary in their actual length of the 3 disciplines, even year-to-year on the same course can be diff due to swim course measurement issues, and run/bike course changes due to traffic, road construction, etc.

In summary, there is no real reason to say that a 70.3 or 140.6 has "more meaning" than a well-raced shorter race that you've trained really hard for.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
HendrikMDik wrote:
Jctriguy wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
HendrikMDik wrote:
We could keep this post alive on the first page indefinitely if we keep having random chats here... :-)

Ya, we could and i plan to keep it alive since i still think that, just conceptually, adding such different types of miles has little to no meaning.

This is the fundamental problem with this thread. Who said that 140.6/70.3 have to have a meaning? 70.3 was started as a way to avoid calling or a 'half'. Beginning and end of story. It is a marketing slogan built by a company. In that sense, it means that you are racing a half distance ironman.

That's not the problem with this thread. That's the great thing about this thread. It does have meaning.

Maybe as Eric suggests, the numbers themselves don't have much meaning. But that doesn't stop them from having some kind of meaning to the people that chase them. And a lot of us do.

Whether you're chasing 'Ironman' and buy into the M-Dot tattoo franchise, or you're chasing some kind of a medal (podium, finishers) or you're a pro and in it for the huge gains. Or maybe you're a new dad and it's your way of stealing time to do something selfish because the rest of your life is dedicated to raising a family.

There is meaning in those numbers. It's not a Da Vinci Code kinda meaning. At least not that I'm aware... But to have so many of us dedicating huge parts of our lives in chasing it, there must be some kind of meaning in it.

A/C - to give up on this thread now would be to give in to the idea that there is nothing in all of these hours. To accept that, like Eric suggests, all of these early mornings and painful steps are worthless. And I refuse to do that. Until this thread has a 140.6 pages. It has to keep on going.

I have never said that there is no "meaning" in the 70.3/140.6 races but rather simply that adding apples, grapes, and watermelons doesn't really make much sense. But, regardless of this somewhat pedantic issue, any race has meaning if you choose to make it so. You could focus on improving your 5000 m run time on the track, or your 1500 m swim time in the pool, or your 40K bike time in a certified, all-out time trial. All of these have meaning and require huge amounts of time investment to do your very best. Top swimmers and cyclists train just as many hours as top triathletes. Also, if you compete on a certified track, pool, or bike course, you know with certainty that you have improved, whereas IM courses vary in their actual length of the 3 disciplines, even year-to-year on the same course can be diff due to swim course measurement issues, and run/bike course changes due to traffic, road construction, etc.

In summary, there is no real reason to say that a 70.3 or 140.6 has "more meaning" than a well-raced shorter race that you've trained really hard for.

This last line feels rings true. But because I am a slowtwitch 'athlete', and by definition am prefer longer endurance races rather than 100m sprints, my opening post should have been:

No, I don't "think that 70.3 and 140.6 are kind of absurd, since adding miles of swimming, miles of cycling, to miles of running is kind of ridiculous," my answer to the opening question is a simple, No. And my reasoning is, that I learnt to count at a very young age, and one of the first things I did learn, was how to add.
Adding 1 apple, plus 1 grape, and 1 watermelon, gives you 3 fruit. Completely valid result and not in the slightest bit ridiculous.
Add 1 mile of swimming, to 1 mile of cycling, and throw in a mile of running and see who can travel those distances faster than anyone else, and you have a 3 mile race. equally not ridiculous. Increase each of those distances to the distances that were chosen arbitrarily to represent endurance distances for each of the distances that the Full distance triathlon sport's founders selected arbitrarily, and you have the 140.3. Halve those distances and you have the half distance triathlon. Not even slightly ridiculous. Unless you take the in the context of human experience, and as a species we've all been trying to find meaning in this since we could string thoughts together.

And it may be true, that there is no inherent reason that any race distance has "more meaning" than any other distance, but I'm not as good at shorter race distances, and my own inherent need to compete with other people means I'm drawn to the achievements that make any kind of competing feel more valid to me. And that opens a whole other kettle of fish as to why I feel so driven to compete. But the answer I have come to is that that is just something important to me.

And so I disagree fundamentally with your suggestion that a 5km race holds as much meaning as a Full distance event. This is slowtwitch, and I feel pretty comfortable suggesting that most of the people on here hold a special value for Full distances races and therefore fundamentally would say that Full distance is less ridiculous than a 5km race. And in true slowtwitch manner, I'll ignore any argument that doesn't support my position, even if it is supported by well constructed research (because we know even the best assembled argument as glaring flaws, and no-one can stop me from clinging blindly to whatever ideas I feel like holding onto) and if anyone suggest and alternate argument, I'll blow them off as ignorant.

Its about the entire journey, not just the moment you cross the line.
Quote Reply

Prev Next