Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Local tracks in north county San Diego
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have input on good tracks to run on in north county San Diego? Any local tracks that have open track workouts in the evenings? (prefer carlsbad, San Marcos, or encinitas.)

UOFT
Quote Reply
Re: Local tracks in north county San Diego [scsq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CSU San Marcos track is the best track if you don't feel like hopping fences and running the risk of getting kicked out, or have the cops called on you.
With that said, most local high school tracks are doable if you are looking for an early morning track session.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
La Costa Canyon in Encinitas has a great track, but the gate is always locked so you have to hop a rather high and precarious fence. That being said, the fence keeps most people out, so the track is yours!!!
San Deguito High also in Encinitas has an old school dirt track, with a shorter gate that is usually open. The track is often crowded with high school sports on the weekends, but in the mornings it is all yours. You will also often see Michele Jones, and some other local legends banging out 400's.
A little further south is Torrey Pines which is very nice but very busy. No gates to hop....usually.

"Wait.....and Hope" -Edmond Dantes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one of the unfortunate things here in North County, if its a really nice track, it is more then likely locked down. I have had good luck with the Mira Costa College track in Oceanside off College near the 78. Stop by the campus police station and tell them you want to run on the track and they will give you a free parking pass. Track is usually empty and is open 8am - 5pm typically.
Cal State San Marcos has a decent track and I have never had a problem running on it, but don't park on campus, they will ticket you. I usually park at the shopping center across from the track and walk over.
If you are looking for a group interval workout, I host an open workout every Tuesday night on the rail trail in Carlsbad. Intervals are an out and back for each one and the paved trail is marked every 100m. We typically have 20 - 30 people show up and split the everyone into three groups based on speed, sub 6 minute pace group, 6 - 7:20 pace group and 7:30+ pace group that includes up to 9:30 pace runners.
If you want to join us just exit the 5 at Carlsbad Village and head west. Right before the RR tracks turn left into the Fish House Vera Cruz parking lot and go to the back. The trail starts there and we meet about 6:15, start the intervals about 6:30pm.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply