Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running with mild hip arthritis
Quote | Reply
Hello, all. I mostly lurk here and use the search function but can't find what I am looking for. Looking for some advice on continuing to run with hip arthritis. I have been running for 5-6 years and never get a decent base built up due to injuries. Probably a lot of too much too soon but I am getting smarter about training properly lol. Got me into triathlon though! The biggest problem I have had is recurrent groin pain after about 5-6 months of running. It starts with one sided low back pain and tightness in the side of the hip. I also get increased clicking in clunking in the affected hip. Eventually I get sharp groin pain and have to quit running for 6-8 weeks to let the inflammation go down. This has happened several times on the right side and once on the left side.

I have seen several physical therapists who all felt this was coming from my hip joint. One sport med doc thought it was hip flexor strain after the x rays came back clear. I finally has an mri done last year and it came back saying that I have mild arthritis in both hips. I had contrast injected in the left hip for the mri and it did not show a labrum tear. I ended up taking 6 months off of running the second half of last year due to multiple injuries.

When I started back up this year, I tried several supportive things for my hip. Running only 3x per week (never 2 days in a row), supplement with aqua jogging, running in Hokas, deep tissue massage once a month, daily foam rolling and stretching, hip and core strength training. Despite all this my hip problem is returning after the usual 5-6 months of running. Quite honestly I think this is nuts for arthritis that is so mild it wasn't seen on x ray. I never actually got to discuss the mri finding with my doc as he did not have the results when I went for the follow up. I plan on scheduling an appointment on Monday.

What I am interested in from the knowledgeable folks here is does my level of pain make sense with the mri findings and what else can I do to continue running? I wonder if taking a few weeks off now would help instead of waiting for the sharp pain that takes a few months to clear up. Also would taking an nsaid daily help prevent getting to the point where I have to quit running. Also, I am 39 years old. Can't wait to see what else is waiting for me as I age. Thanks for reading!
Last edited by: desertchica: Jul 27, 14 16:36
Quote Reply
Re: Running with mild hip arthritis [desertchica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ugh. Paragraphs.
Quote Reply
Re: Running with mild hip arthritis [afrizzledfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that got a bit long. Edited to try and make it easier to read.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a 66 yo MOP male, arthritic aching hips is just part of daily life and have been for many years! Pain killers don't really help. When I'm training things don't hurt. Actually, the more I move the better I feel. It's when I'm sitting and not moving, that's when everything starts hurting and seizes up. So I hobble around, so what.

I choose to work on the positive, discount the pain and feel grateful that I can still participate as a senior age grouper among some really great athletes! Race day has never disappointed and has always been a blast! It sure beats the alternative!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My hip problems started the same way. After I ran, my b@lls were killing me. When I got to the orthopedic surgeon, he took and xray, showed me the arthritis in my right hip and gave me a cortisone injection. He also told me my running days were over. He told me that if I continued to run I would hasten the advance of the arthritis. With a lot of biking and no running, that first injection lasted about a year. The next one; six months and the third, in both sides now, didn't even get me a week. About three years after my first diagnosis the right side had collapsed and the left side was almost as bad. My hips were killing me and my glutes were on fire. On 11/15/201, I had bilateral hip resurfacings and six months later I was back running. I'm now at two years eight months and I'm doing great, racing sprints and Olympics and short running races, and I don't even notice that anything was done.

Check www.surfacehippy.com for information on hip resurfacing.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Running with mild hip arthritis [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess what macguyverguy posted is what I would expect with a diagnosis of mild hip arthritis. Running maybe causing some aching but just being able to push through. I am at the aching stage currently but know that if I push through I will have sharp pain. :(

I will take a look at the hip resurfacing. Thanks for your story.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was surprised when he doc showed me the exray and said that was the cause of my pain. I mean, my b@lls were killing me! Three years later my xray looked like it was all lit up and my hips were on fire. One thing I looked into but didn't do was Orthovisc/Synvisc injections in the hips. This replaced the sinuvial fluid in the joint that gets dried up by the arthritis. I didn't do it but that might get you back running. It won't however make the hip healthy again

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Running with mild hip arthritis [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know that a hip replacement surgery is in my future. If things were as bad as Sweeney's I'd be seeing the doctor in a heart beat! It all comes down to degrees of pain and willingness to subject oneself to the knife and it's ramifications.
Quote Reply