Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And Wisconsin.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know about anyone else, but this news makes IMLOU something I may consider for next year. It's close to home, October is perfect after doing Steelhead in early August, hmmmm....
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [ontheuptick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is going to be a great fall race. Going to have to sell another season of IM training somehow to the wife.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [rmg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmg wrote:
Going to have to sell another season of IM training somehow to the wife.
I'm in the same boat, although this would be my first full IM distance season to sell. I have some work to do on that front :)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [ontheuptick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if youre like me, youve already started the maneuvering.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [jmkizer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmkizer wrote:
blueraider_mike wrote:
noofus wrote:
What do they do for B2B?

Looks like sunrise on that date in Louisville is 0748. There should be just enough daylight to start the swim at 0700

The 140.6 is a mass start right at 7AM and then they do the 70.3 in waves about an hour later.

From the link about dates, it looks like IM Maryland is also a go for 2015. I like Louisville being in October, I may consider it.

B2B Full starts at 7:30. They changed the time starting last year.

And we froze our butts off waiting to get into the water! Then the start of the bike was cold. At least with Aug. we knew it would be hot....now it could still be 90, or 50 on race day.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [key4871] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Newsflash...It won't be 90 degrees in October in Louisville. Even if it was, the humidity would be zilch and the race conditions would be fine. Quit whining.

key4871 wrote:
jmkizer wrote:
blueraider_mike wrote:
noofus wrote:
What do they do for B2B?

Looks like sunrise on that date in Louisville is 0748. There should be just enough daylight to start the swim at 0700

The 140.6 is a mass start right at 7AM and then they do the 70.3 in waves about an hour later.

From the link about dates, it looks like IM Maryland is also a go for 2015. I like Louisville being in October, I may consider it.

B2B Full starts at 7:30. They changed the time starting last year.

And we froze our butts off waiting to get into the water! Then the start of the bike was cold. At least with Aug. we knew it would be hot....now it could still be 90, or 50 on race day.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [mwanner1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner1 wrote:
Newsflash...It won't be 90 degrees in October in Louisville. Even if it was, the humidity would be zilch and the race conditions would be fine. Quit whining.

Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't read every single post in this thread, so sorry if anything is repeated.

I have done this race. Part of the appeal is that it IS TOUGH due to the heat. It's an Ironman event and not a run of the mill marathon. It is not supposed to be easy. Moving it to October removes the mystique, IMO.

I suppose it will help the attendance but the race is or will be much less of a challenge.

Disappointed to see this.

------------------------
Loud pawls save lives
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [BionicMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What would we rather have: IMLou raced in August for a couple more years and then goes away OR IMLou raced in October that keeps going on?

There are so many more better places to race an Ironman in the month of August than Louisville, KY. I could pretty much pick a million places I would rather be swimming, biking and running.

I have done the race and I liked the race but it is a better race in October. Would have been even better in April but that brings up other issues.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [bwain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As someone who is not an easy drive from there it will be much less desirable. I can see that it will be much more of an attraction for many more people. My point is that is will be significantly less of a challenge. The heat made the event unique. Without it, it's just another race, IMO.

------------------------
Loud pawls save lives
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always go with the saying no race is easier than another. They are all hard. You just go faster in some.

If you want to be challenged by the elements (whether that be course profile or weather) there are plenty of races to choose from.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bwain wrote:
I always go with the saying no race is easier than another. They are all hard. You just go faster in some.

If you want to be challenged by the elements (whether that be course profile or weather) there are plenty of races to choose from.

To each his own. There is a reason people line up for Florida and Arizona and not Louisville. I'm sure this move will help Louisville but it will make it much less of an accomplishment. Again, only my opinion.

------------------------
Loud pawls save lives
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems to me there was a year the weather was not brutally hot, no? So, heat is not a constant there? So, it could theorectically be a cool and pleasant day. In fact, today, less than a month before the race, its 78 and low humidity in Louisville. So if the race was today, it would have NO uniqueness. So, its not like Placid where you know there is always going to be that big ass climb back into town, and it could rain 5 inches or be 90 degrees.

I always heard what made the race unique was the shot gun start, a pretty nice bike course, and an incredible finish line. I also thought the race was pretty unique because it was in a rather unique city with some interesting attractions nearby. Its a shame WTC destroyed this event. Sad.
Last edited by: sinkinswimmer: Jul 29, 14 14:28
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sinkinswimmer wrote:
It seems to me there was a year the weather was not brutally hot, no? So, heat is not a constant there? So, it could theorectically be a cool and pleasant day. In fact, today, less than a month before the race, its 78 and low humidity in Louisville. So if the race was today, it would have NO uniqueness. So, its not like Placid where you know there is always going to be that big ass climb back into town, and it could rain 5 inches or be 90 degrees.

I always heard what made the race unique was the shot gun start, a pretty nice bike course, and an incredible finish line. I also thought the race was pretty unique because it was in a rather unique city with some interesting attractions nearby. Its a shame WTC destroyed this event. Sad.

It is almost always hot and humid. Sure, there is the occasional year where the temps are not brutal. The bike course is tough. Not the toughest in the world but tough. There are a couple tough climbs but no, not like LP. The swim is somewhat unique in that it's a time trial start (NOT shotgun). The water is pretty nasty.

BTW, I wasn't comparing LP to LOU. LP is unique and tough as well. Move it to June or July and it may be different. You certainly haven't been able to use wetsuits at LOU.

I appreciate your attempt at being a smart aleck but get your facts straight.

------------------------
Loud pawls save lives
Last edited by: BionicMan: Jul 29, 14 14:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BionicMan wrote:
sinkinswimmer wrote:

It is almost always hot and humid. Sure, there is the occasional year where the temps are not brutal. The bike course is tough. Not the toughest in the world but tough. There are a couple tough climbs but no, not like LP. The swim is somewhat unique in that it's a time trial start (NOT shotgun). The water is pretty nasty.

BTW, I wasn't comparing LP to LOU. LP is unique and tough as well. Move it to June or July and it may be different. You certainly haven't been able to use wetsuits at LOU.

What fact did I get wrong ass hole?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The swim is no longer unique. Essentially, any race that now has a "rolling start" is the same as Louisville.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sinkinswimmer wrote:
BionicMan wrote:
sinkinswimmer wrote:

What fact did I get wrong ass hole?

Shotgun vs time trial for one.

------------------------
Loud pawls save lives
Last edited by: BionicMan: Jul 29, 14 15:38
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
The swim is no longer unique. Essentially, any race that now has a "rolling start" is the same as Louisville.

My point was he called it a shotgun start. Not the same IMO.

------------------------
Loud pawls save lives
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having done Louisville successfully twice and wanting to do it again in 2015 this date change changes the game. A hot race and a cool race seem to be totally different strategies. My random thoughts:

Hot race - hard but easy to execute
- wear as little or as lite of clothes as possible
- on the bike drink as much as they give you
- pour water all over you at every opportunity
- peeing is a no brainer because all the water washes it away
- when it's hot everyone's hot and can only get so naked and wet, so everyone is equal

Cool race (50 - 60's) - do not know how to execute
- wet getting on the bike
* normal race kit, freeze, and hope to get warm?
* change into dry and warm cycling kit?
* put on arm warmers, jacket, etc... and ditch once warm?
- how much to drink and when?
- do you still pee yourself?
* if so do you still wash it off?
- when it's cold the one that planned their clothes best has the advantage, yes part or the race but changes the calculus

How have those that have been successful moving from hot and cold races made the adjustment?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Might consider Louisville in the future with this date change. I like it!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [rmg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got clearance for a fall IM from the wife if I can drive to it. I have my fingers crossed that IMMD is a go for 2015.

Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [fe_dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fe_dad wrote:
I just got clearance for a fall IM from the wife if I can drive to it. I have my fingers crossed that IMMD is a go for 2015.

Why are you posting this on a thread about Louisville?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because I'm an idiot. I read through and then saw posts about IMMD and posted that without thinking.

Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bwain wrote:
What would we rather have: IMLou raced in August for a couple more years and then goes away OR IMLou raced in October that keeps going on?

There are so many more better places to race an Ironman in the month of August than Louisville, KY. I could pretty much pick a million places I would rather be swimming, biking and running.

I have done the race and I liked the race but it is a better race in October. Would have been even better in April but that brings up other issues.

Love the April idea. Hate the new date move. Will miss the fact that you can no longer sign up for this race the day of. For a WTC event that's unheard of.
Quote Reply

Prev Next