Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What is wrong with my fit????? [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what else?

Lights set up to illuminate the subject without shadows.
Camera as far away as possible, ~2-3ft high, zoomed in to show your whole body, adjusted square with the bike.
Tight jersey.
Wear your helmet.

Quote Reply
Re: What is wrong with my fit????? [xsive] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no suggestions about your fit, mine is terrible too on my road bike.

Mostly, I wanted to ask if this video is some type optical illusion, or is your crank actually on the left side of your bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xsive wrote:
I have been fit three times over five months. All of the fits caused some problem either in my knee, ankle, or foot.

Me thinks you may not be a cyclist then. Stick to running. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Without seeming too flippant although I would point out you might not have mentioned the previous 3 fits on your first post.
As most of us here would be more familiar with a Tri fit, than a road bike fit, you might excuse the confusion of advice.

There are common problems to all riders. Pointed toes (unless you're a Keirin rider) not so good. Leg extension. body position, hip angle and so on.
But you would then have to sort out your position relative to what you are riding for. What you are showing is fine for commuting, but for power, speed, maybe not.
Surprised you didn't get a back ache as well.

Were all your fits done by the same person, because to borrow a line from 3 1/2 Men, "maybe some unscrupulous person has taken advantage of your good nature"
As for the problems with your knee, ankle or foot. How far are you riding, how fast are you riding, what sort of terrain are you riding? And last what sort of rpm do you ride at.
As you have rediscovered, runner legs are not riders legs (or swimmers for that matter).

I got on a real bike for the first time in 10 months last weekend (long sorry story) and the range of things that hurt afterwards surprised me. Even though I have done a bit of spinning in anticipation of finally riding.

But as a quick and dirty response. Your seat is too low, you're pointing your toes and if that is your normal rpm by today's standards it's a bit slow and you would have to push a bigger gear which would produce most of the ills you mention.

cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Degrees are close approximates (using an app with a protractor). Perhaps I could have gone a bit higher at the hip. bringing it closer to 131 or so.

Interestingly enough as I watched more of the video and you stop at the bottom of the stroke things look much better ... more like 137* hip angle and normal toe point.

It would be interesting to see a video of you with this same fit with you focusing in keeping your heel down. I wonder if a lot of this is just form or the way your muscles are firing.

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Last edited by: warwicke36: Jul 25, 14 8:22
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Masa757 [ In reply to ]
Re: What is wrong with my fit????? [MSUtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It just looks that way b/c I'm using photo booth in mac.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check this vid out. Bit long but be patient. Nothing we haven't heard here before but might give you a bit of an understanding of bike fit. Its a different perspective due to the fact that he has experience fitting a particular patient in this vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxNznrlRXGU

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: What is wrong with my fit????? [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I changed my saddle height, stem height, and stem length after the fittings seemed counterproductive.

I went for the fittings after I developed an IT band issue. Fitter said to lower my saddle and take pressure off the band. During all that time I progressively reduced my running, yet I began having pain behind my right knee (popliteal fossa). Moving the saddle up, down, forward, back caused peroneal tendinitis.

The tendinitis was mild and resolved as I reduced my riding. The PT said that my volume was too high (swim, bike, run, weights), but my volume is at a four year low.

I ride 2-4 times per week and the video that I submitted today is the position that I have ridden for two years. However, I rode out of the saddle for much of my rides b/c I was living in the mountains and now I'm in Nebraska so my position is not working.

I'm out of town for the weekend but I will move everything back to where it was after my last fit, so that I can get more constructive criticism on Monday (longer stem, lower stem, 1.5 cm higher saddle compared to today's vid).

Also note that I have not said what is ailing me, so that I do not inject bias, but I will say that I lowered my saddle (despite the fittings) b/c the literature says that a high saddle can cause Popliteal problems (over extending the hamstrings).

I have a 1.5 varus shim in my right shoe. I had some arch supports in each footbed but that also seemed to bother my ankle and foot (right side only), so I removed them.

Thank you very much for offering your opinion and input ( thanks to everyone who responded this far).
Quote Reply
Re: What is wrong with my fit????? [masa757] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
masa757 wrote:
xsive wrote:
I have been fit three times over five months. All of the fits caused some problem either in my knee, ankle, or foot.

Alot of those problems are caused by low saddle height and poor cleat positioning. Things to consider before adjusting cleats and saddle height are foot & leg length discrepancies. Has this been accounted for in any of these fits?

Yes, my right leg is 3mm shorter than my left leg.

Here is today's video showing the saddle height that was recommended by my fitter. I also put the saddle at the fore/aft position chosen by the fitter.

I did not, however, replace the longer stem that he suggested b/c it makes me feel like I'm reaching too far to reach the hoods (where I prefer to ride).

Thanks to all for giving your feedback. Despite my original complaints with this position it feels much better today:
Quote Reply
Re: What is wrong with my fit????? [warwicke36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you mind computing again those angles with the fit in today's video?
Thx!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is weird that my ankle, knee, hip angle did not change despite raising my saddle 2.5 cm from where you last measured and found a 130 degree angle.

Obviously, my toes are pointed down more, but that doesn't remain constant such as when I'm pushing a heavier gear or riding uphill. You can see me pushing a heavier gear in this vid where I'm in the drops.

Also, if I put my foot level with the floor then the angle is much closer to 155 degrees. That's how the fitter fit me: Flat foot at 6:00 and with goniometer to 154 degrees at the saddle height pictured here.

Aside from pushing down more with my heel, I'm not sure how to fix this b/c my saddle can go forward only 1cm more
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If he made the adjustment static (meaning you weren't pedaling its much easier for you to "cheat" and drive your heel down) he should be observing what you look like while you pedal at a normal cadence.

for reference I took a quick video of myself a minute ago, I was curious as to my own fit. I could certainly be lower/longer in the front .... I went into a local Tri coach for a fit last year and he said not to move a thing. So this is where I am for reference.

This was at 92 cadence. My form is not perfect by any means and my fit is certainly a mix of comfort and speed. Notice my heel is pretty low. And my knee angle is 142 or so...

I use a program call Pickpic to capture the angles, it has protractor feature. Its free. I highly recommend downloading it and fooling around with your fit. Then YOU have the numbers and can figure out where you are at.

For you I recommend practice pedaling form. I think you will need to focus on getting that heel down. If you just can't and it causes pain then there is a sacrifice to be made for comfort and injury.

Yes I know my grill sucks. Yes I know the porch needs paint. :)

Last edited by: warwicke36: Jul 28, 14 14:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's really helpful. Thank you for sharing the name of that program that uses the protractor.

I appreciate you sharing your time, insight, and input.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No problem. I think you should get the fit to where it feel most comfortable. And I think you should ride that outside and make sure its comfortable for at least 20 miles or so. Then start video taping yourself and work on form. You may find as your form improves the fit feels less comfortable and then you adjust. Think about activating your glutes and your heel might start dropping more on its own. Others say act like your scraping mud off the bottom of your shoe, that never worked for me. Good luck.

Quote Reply
Re: What is wrong with my fit????? [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianB wrote:
warwicke36 wrote:
The toe point IS the indicator.

It means loss of power. Some toe point is natural and ok. Yours looks about double what I understand is ok. I'd drop the saddle 1-2 cm

not proclaiming to be a fit expert, but I think those are would disagree with you there. Lowering his saddle wouldn't necessarily make him point his toes less. He most likely would just look like he's riding a clown bike.

At the saddle height in the first vid- it felt like a clown bike.

Here is the same setup with the saddle raised. My toes still point down, but at least my knee isn't bothering me as much compared to the clown bike.

I raised my saddle height by 2.0 cm. Here is the latest:

I'd like to point out that Arnie Baker, MD in "Bicycling Medicine" says that he likes to fit riders with a saddle height and knee angle that is the same or nearly similar to the rider's knee angle when the rider is riding out of the saddle.

Quote Reply

Prev Next