Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Putting on watch/garmin for Ironman Run
Quote | Reply
For those of you who use a bike computer, and then put on a garmin/watch in T2…..do you just take off and not have tracking for the first bit of your run, while it is acquiring satellites. The 910 drag thread got me thinking and the data from the swim is pretty useless….apart from seeing if you swam a straight line.
Quote Reply
Re: Putting on watch/garmin for Ironman Run [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use mine as a bike computer and run computer.

Regardless, you can turn the device on before the race and not press start. It will find satellites long before you finish your swim and bike (ya know, depending on how speedy you are).

Another option is to turn it on first thing in the morning and find satellites. Turn it off. Then on again in t2. Then fiddle with changing your shoes, etc. In theory, since the device hasn't moved much, it will find the satellites quickly.

Lastly, you can turn the device on before the swim and store it in your bike bag. Then swim. Then put the watch in your jersey pouch. It'll be ready to go by the time you get finished biking and already on your person.

Lots of options for you.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NeverEnough wrote:
For those of you who use a bike computer, and then put on a garmin/watch in T2…..do you just take off and not have tracking for the first bit of your run, while it is acquiring satellites. The 910 drag thread got me thinking and the data from the swim is pretty useless….apart from seeing if you swam a straight line.

What I did for 70.3 this weekend. I used edge 500 for bike and forerunner 305 for run. When I get to T2, I turn on the watch, get on my shoes, race belt, hat, and then grab my watch. I put it on my wrist while running to run out. Usually by the time I am into the first 100 or 200 yards of run, I have satellites, I hit start. I miss maybe 20-30 seconds of data. I hear that if you clear data in watch that you acquire satellites sooner. Not sure if that is true or myth.
Last edited by: nickwisconsin: Jul 24, 14 6:34
Quote Reply
Re: Putting on watch/garmin for Ironman Run [nickwisconsin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwisconsin wrote:
NeverEnough wrote:

What I did for 70.3 this weekend. I used edge 500 for bike and forerunner 310 or run. When I get to T2, I turn on the watch, get on my shoes, race belt, hat, and then grab my watch. I put it on my wrist while running to run out. Usually by the time I am into the first 100 or 200 yards of run, I have satellites, I hit start. I miss maybe 20-30 seconds of data. I hear that if you clear data in watch that you acquire satellites sooner. Not sure if that is true or myth.

^ This.

Another thing to think about; if you shut a GPS unit down in Peoria and turn it on in Albuquerque, it'll take longer to find satellites. So, one thing you can do if you're traveling to the race is turn on your watch in T2 the day before. That way it'll "know" where it is in the world and acquire satellites more quickly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you just not wear the watch the whole race and use multi sport mode. Why make things more complicated than needed during a race?
Quote Reply
Re: Putting on watch/garmin for Ironman Run [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trispoke wrote:
Why do you just not wear the watch the whole race and use multi sport mode. Why make things more complicated than needed during a race?

Not asking me, but a few reasons:

1) some watches are not waterproof for submersion during swim - my 310 is not, so it means having to put watch on at some point. I can run out of T2 for run course start while I put watch on wrist. I cannot put watch on wrist while running with bike during T1. I would have to put it on prior to grabbing bike off rack and running out (waste time) or put on while riding out (too risky)

2) already have bike computer that I really like to use

2) I don't like having to use a watch on bike. My edge 500 is mounted right under my nose. I can sneak a peak just by looking down. A wrist mounted watch is hard to see unless you twist wrist or put watch to inside of wrist

3) if you have a garmin 310, the battery will die before you finish a 112 mile bike ride and 26.2 mile run.

4) Some people don't like multisport mode

If you have the new Garmin (910?) most of these are non issues, but I would still prefer a bike computer mounted to bike vs. my wrist/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can only speak from the standpoint of wearing a waterproof garmin. I use my 910 in multisport but use my 500 to actually read on my bike because I can't read my power from my 910 on my wrist. If you can wear your gamin the entire race, even if you're not using it swim/bike, I'd think that's the way to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can put 310 in your cap. Dc rainwater has an article about doing this. I have never done this. I guess you reach back there and hit start when swim starts.

I do what the other 2 describe which makes me wonder why I have and others bought the 305 and 310 the last 5 years. I have edge on bike and use watch just for run.

I don't like wearing a watch during swimming for some reason and I don't like looking at a bulky watch when I'm down in aero bars. Just me I guess.

Multi sport I can do at home with bricks when I'm not under duress but with all the hustle and crazy shit going on in a race I typically hit the start button or screw up Hitting some button other than reset. I guess you do it enough you'd get that down.

I might as well have just gotten a pure garmin running watch like 205 or 620 or even FR 15.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nickwisconsin wrote:
Trispoke wrote:

3) if you have a garmin 310, the battery will die before you finish a 112 mile bike ride and 26.2 mile run.

No, it won't. The 310 battery will last an entire IM, even if you turn it on before the swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of note:

1) Your 310XT is fully waterproofed for swimming and depth. The older FR305 was not.

3) The battery on your FR310XT shouldn't die in an IM event, as it's rated at 20 hours, and I've rarely heard of folks not making it through an IM with it.

That is all.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Putting on watch/garmin for Ironman Run [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you didn't correct the guy who called you dc rainwater?

hope you're all recovered from that stingray incident. 100% again?

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: Putting on watch/garmin for Ironman Run [rjrankin83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rjrankin83 wrote:
I can only speak from the standpoint of wearing a waterproof garmin. I use my 910 in multisport but use my 500 to actually read on my bike because I can't read my power from my 910 on my wrist. If you can wear your gamin the entire race, even if you're not using it swim/bike, I'd think that's the way to go.

This is exactly what I do - the 910 stays on the wrist for the whole race in multisport mode, lapping at start/end of transitions, and the Edge 500 stays on the bike. I glance at my 910 to see how pathetic my swim was at the swim exit, and then it gets ignored until the run.

I turn the Edge on before the race and make sure that power-save mode is off, along with the backlight, so it's waiting and ready to go as soon as I exit the water. After the race in transition I reset and save the activity on the Edge. Double-Garmining is good as occasionally my 910 throws a wobbly and deletes activities randomly, I lost my week of activities in Vegas along with the 70.3 champs last year, but did still have the bike leg saved.

Cheers, Rich
Quote Reply
Re: Putting on watch/garmin for Ironman Run [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
Of note:

1) Your 310XT is fully waterproofed for swimming and depth. The older FR305 was not.

3) The battery on your FR310XT shouldn't die in an IM event, as it's rated at 20 hours, and I've rarely heard of folks not making it through an IM with it.

That is all.

My mistake Ray. I have the 305. Not waterproof and short battery life.
Quote Reply
Re: Putting on watch/garmin for Ironman Run [Iron Buckeye] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both of these.

What I did for 70.3 this weekend. I used edge 500 for bike and forerunner 310 or run. When I get to T2, I turn on the watch, get on my shoes, race belt, hat, and then grab my watch. I put it on my wrist while running to run out. Usually by the time I am into the first 100 or 200 yards of run, I have satellites, I hit start. I miss maybe 20-30 seconds of data. I hear that if you clear data in watch that you acquire satellites sooner. Not sure if that is true or myth.[/quote]

Another thing to think about; if you shut a GPS unit down in Peoria and turn it on in Albuquerque, it'll take longer to find satellites. So, one thing you can do if you're traveling to the race is turn on your watch in T2 the day before. That way it'll "know" where it is in the world and acquire satellites more quickly.[/quote]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NeverEnough wrote:

Data are never useless. You might not know what you are looking at on the swim display right now, but later on you might. I wear my 910 for the entire race, in multisport mode, on my wrist. I use a 500 to actually record my bike data though. I generally ignore the data file I get for the bike from my 910.
Quote Reply
Re: Putting on watch/garmin for Ironman Run [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trispoke wrote:

The OP referred to this thread http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=5176615#5176615 which is a discussion of potential drag penalties of wearing the 910 on the swim. Iw ould also assume there are small drag penalties of wearing it on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NeverEnough wrote:

I use a Forerunner 220. It pre-caches the satellite locations and locks on in about 3 seconds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 305. It has lasted throughout the bike and run for me for 5 IMs. Bike + Run + T2, for me, is usually around the 10 hour mark. I supposed it wouldn't last if I were slower, but I do know that I get at least 10 hours out of it on a regular basis, under race conditions.

nickwisconsin wrote:
dcrainmaker wrote:
Of note:

That is all.

My mistake Ray. I have the 305. Not waterproof and short battery life.

Quote | Reply
Not sure what watch you have, but the FR 220 will lock onto the satellite in just a few seconds (it updates itself with satellite locations). But even with my older FR 110, if I turned it on as soon as I got to T2, by the time I was hitting run out it had usually locked on. So it hardly ever missed much of my run.
Quote Reply
Re: Putting on watch/garmin for Ironman Run [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
Not sure what watch you have, but the FR 220 will lock onto the satellite in just a few seconds (it updates itself with satellite locations). But even with my older FR 110, if I turned it on as soon as I got to T2, by the time I was hitting run out it had usually locked on. So it hardly ever missed much of my run.

I have the 910, thinking I will just leave it in my bag and put it on as I run out. I'm sure it won't be the end of the world if I miss the first bit of data. I just don't want to wear it on the bike since I have a 510.
Quote Reply
Re: Putting on watch/garmin for Ironman Run [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
NeverEnough wrote:

Data are never useless. You might not know what you are looking at on the swim display right now, but later on you might. I wear my 910 for the entire race, in multisport mode, on my wrist. I use a 500 to actually record my bike data though. I generally ignore the data file I get for the bike from my 910.

+1 for this
Quote Reply
Re: Putting on watch/garmin for Ironman Run [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
I
Another option is to turn it on first thing in the morning and find satellites. Turn it off. Then on again in t2. Then fiddle with changing your shoes, etc. In theory, since the device hasn't moved much, it will find the satellites quickly.

I have a 305 (still works well after 5+ years). Mine wouldn't last an entire 140.6. For my last two 140.6 races, I did exactly what Tri-Banter suggests above, which worked perfectly. I had the watch acquire the satellite signal from its location in the transition area pre-race. This greatly reduced the amount of time required to acquire the satellite when I came into T2 and turned the watch back on. Worked like a charm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Put the watch somewhere on your bike (looped around an aerobar for example,) and turn it on a mile or two from T2. It should lock on to satellites before you get off your bike. Just remember to take the watch before a volunteer snatches your bike (in the case of ironman.) Then start the watch right at the T2 exit and put it on the first 100 meters.
Quote Reply
Re: Putting on watch/garmin for Ironman Run [elburrito99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elburrito99 wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:
I

I have a 305 (still works well after 5+ years). Mine wouldn't last an entire 140.6. For my last two 140.6 races, I did exactly what Tri-Banter suggests above, which worked perfectly. I had the watch acquire the satellite signal from its location in the transition area pre-race. This greatly reduced the amount of time required to acquire the satellite when I came into T2 and turned the watch back on. Worked like a charm.

I did the same thing. I lost maybe the first .25 miles of the run. Than the battery went dead at 25 miles. Neither of which ruined my run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NeverEnough wrote:
mbwallis wrote:

I have the 910, thinking I will just leave it in my bag and put it on as I run out. I'm sure it won't be the end of the world if I miss the first bit of data. I just don't want to wear it on the bike since I have a 510.

I will make this easy.

First, get the quick release band for the 910. When you get to the race site in the morning, turn on your 910 and leave it in of your shoes for T2. Wear the quick release band for the race. Grab the 910 in T2 and connect it to your quick release band as your running out of T2. You will have data immediately and not have to worry about acquiring satellites. I do this for every race and it works flawlessly.

The 910 has plenty of battery life. Why anyone would want to put that in your swim cap is beyond me.
Quote Reply