Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tarpon Challenge - Week 8
Quote | Reply
Here are week 8's workouts.

We're going to swim a little bit shorter this week. Not quite as many yards. But I don't think you'll feel as if, by the end of the week, you took it easy.

Our guest coach this week is our own Tigerchik, mistress of the fishies, and this is in line with my view that you're best off hearing both from those who make their livings on the pool deck as well as those who, just like you, must fit your workouts in around work, study, spouses or SOs, kids, blah blah. But when I choose one among our peers to share his or her workout it's going to be somebody with a deep swim background; fortunately we have these on our reader forum, Tigerchik among them.

It's time to make hay. It's time to put the skills, weeks upon weeks of yards upon yards, technical improvements, to the test. The one workout I hope you'll not skip from here on in is that 1500 yard time trial. This is the closest thing we'll do that corresponds to what you're in fact training for: the swim in a triathlon. I want you to see the progress you're making. I want a baseline, so that when you come back next year and you want to know if you're faster or slower than this year you'll have a benchmark. I want you to be ready when another postal swim comes along, so that you can join in and be somewhat prepared for what that will feel like. I want you to feel what it's like to go out appropriately hard, hard enough, but not too hard. I want you to know what it feels like, after 300 or 400 yards into a long, hard swim, to feel hypoxic and to have a strategy for that, whether it's breathing patterns, or just calming yourself and staying in control of your ventilation.

I don't ever want you to feel, when you're in the water, in a triathlon, in the swim, that you're in uncharted territory. If you feel that way in a marathon, well, bummer. Maybe you step off the road and onto the curb. There is no curb in the ocean, or in the middle of the lake. So, during the swim, I want you to be safe, I want you to prosper, I want you to know that you've been there before (even if "there" takes place in the pool), I want you to be ready to attack the swim rather than simply to survive the swim. This is why I have you doing something in this series that you'd be unlikely to be asked to do in a masters swim team workout: a 1500 yard straight, timed swim. And in this case, for the next few weeks, to do this swim weekly.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/..._challenge_week1.pdf
http://www.slowtwitch.com/..._challenge_week2.pdf
http://www.slowtwitch.com/..._challenge_week3.pdf
http://www.slowtwitch.com/..._challenge_week4.pdf
http://www.slowtwitch.com/..._challenge_week5.pdf
http://www.slowtwitch.com/..._challenge_week6.pdf
http://www.slowtwitch.com/..._challenge_week7.pdf
http://www.slowtwitch.com/..._challenge_week8.pdf

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Tarpon Challenge - Week 8 [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been following the challenge for the most part...I look forward to test the difference in a race in 5 weeks. While I still don't flip turn I am noticed a pick up in my top end speed, I finally broke 1:30 per hundred on an all out effort and my leave interval for years has been on the 2:00 per hundred, and now I am leaving on 1:50 and can do this for as long as I need. While not a huge break through its an improvement. I am sure once I throw on a wetsuit my paces will be faster.

Thanks for the workouts.
Quote Reply
Re: Tarpon Challenge - Week 8 [blueraider_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
congratulations on your improvement. but you know what i'm going to counsel next. you're too fast not to flip turn. learn to flip turn. if you do open turns it's a big rest every 25. while flip turns is also a big rest every 25, that muscular rest is somewhat offset by a hypoxic event. here's my flip turn primer.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike, dropping a leave interval by 10 seconds and having it be comfortable is, in fact, a huge breakthrough.

I was flattered when Dan asked me to be a guest coach, and I look forward to hearing how the workouts go for you all :-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
congratulations on your improvement. but you know what i'm going to counsel next. you're too fast not to flip turn. learn to flip turn. if you do open turns it's a big rest every 25. while flip turns is also a big rest every 25, that muscular rest is somewhat offset by a hypoxic event. here's my flip turn primer.

I know...about a month ago I read the flip turn info and tried to learn...and I get dizzy as hell and a brain freeze. After my A race at the end of August, I am going to learn to flip turn, I commit to it. I never thought I could bi lateral breathe and I do this all the time now...I will learn how to flip turn, this year!
Last edited by: blueraider_mike: Jul 21, 14 11:12
Quote Reply
Re: Tarpon Challenge - Week 8 [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
Mike, dropping a leave interval by 10 seconds and having it be comfortable is, in fact, a huge breakthrough.

I was flattered when Dan asked me to be a guest coach, and I look forward to hearing how the workouts go for you all :-)

Thanks, I am looking forward to trying your workouts first thing in the morning.

I am happy with my progress, I can tell that my technique still needs improvement - my legs are higher (two beat kicker) and I am not crossing over as much but my pull is still too deep. Everyone once in a while it all come together for a bit but hard to sustain consistently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
re: dizziness

Get earplugs :-) the dizzy feeling is most likely caused by water getting in your ears. I use silicone earplugs; I buy them at a pharmacy.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Tarpon Challenge - Week 8 [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't forget your fist drills, kids!

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blueraider_mike wrote:
Slowman wrote:

I know...about a month ago I read the flip turn info and tried to learn...and I get dizzy as hell and a brain freeze. After my A race at the end of August, I am going to learn to flip turn, I commit to it. I never thought I could bi lateral breathe and I do this all the time now...I will learn how to flip turn, this year!

Well it is definitely a learnable skill. Some of the dizziness will probably go away with repetition, and the rest should disappear as your technique gets smoother. As someone new to flipturns, chances are you have a lot of extraneous movement, are twisting instead of going straight over, moving your head too much, etc.

Stick withit and it will come. The good thing is that once you have it, it never really goes away.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A quick note about being safe -

I did a half iron a couple of weeks ago. The lake was quite rough. Lots of people panicking, getting picked out of the water, and just mightily struggling.

My swim was 40 minutes. Not fast by any means. I've swam faster for a half. BUT - upon seeing the waves I felt confident, not scared, and I was able to remain calm throughout the entire swim. I came out of the water feeling fresher than ever.

So....this program works. As much as my feet feel like they are dragging along the bottom of the pool when I'm wearing the band, it's teaching me to swim, and to be able to swim when things aren't perfect.

Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Took me like 3 workouts of relentless flipping.

It was brutally humbling and humorous for a few days. Flipping and missing the wall, coming up in the wrong lane, pushing off to the bottom of the pool, etc. If I can learn, anyone can.

Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trying to finish the Tarpon Challenge strong, since I feel like I underperformed at the Vineman 70.3 swim. So, here's my updates on the weekly TT:

Week 7 results: 24:13 500 splits: 8:00, 8:07, 8:06
Week 8 results: 23:57 500 splits: 7:56, 8:02, 7:59

honestly, going into yesterday's TT, I was thinking I wouldn't improve upon week 7. I did the swim in the early evening after work, but I had also run 1 hour in the morning, plus a 40 minute strength workout during lunch. The effort felt the same, and again, I was pleasantly surprised with the consistent splits. Not once did I look at a pool clock or watch during either TT.

Since I have never done even a masters class, I think the variety of these workouts has been refreshing for me. I'll likely cycle back to week 1 after this is done, as I head into IM Lake Tahoe.

--------------------------------------------
TEAM F3 Undurance
Quote Reply
Re: Tarpon Challenge - Week 8 [Multisportsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great improvement. i do not, by the way, think it's bad to look at the pool clock. when i do mine i look at the pool clock, just like in a race you might be watching your power meter while cycling. the clock is a nice pacing aid.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply