Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [Jalp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting, then it is possible you are on slower wheels than Flos.

Jalp wrote:
Oh...I forgot to mention that I'm sponsored by my LBS so I don't pay for anything. That includes wheels in any brand I want as long as they carry it. Guess what brand I choose to ride for free? Yep, you got it wrong because neither Zipp nor Flo is the one I ride.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jack,

He rides everything his LBS sells so he's tried the FLOs (ahem) and they are clearly shitty wheels.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parties?!! Heck yeah!
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [Jalp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My experience is better than your experience therefore your experience must not be trustworthy. See where we can go with this?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These should just be called the Zipp WalletStrike 404. Can't justify paying as much for a regular set of wheels as I did for my Super 9/404
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [masa757] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't justify paying as much for a whole bike as you did for your Super 9!

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not rich, but I know some very well off people who do tri.

None of them buy stuff to show off their wealth. The ones that do buy expensive stuff, buy it for one of several reasons.

1. They are passionate about X and want the best, and can afford it.
2. the cost that appears expensive for us plebes is inconsequential to them.

I make X each year. Y% goes to my house, and Z% goes on triathlon each year.

A good friend of mine makes over 10 times what I make. He feels poor because he hangs out with some seriously rich friends. I take my 10 year old car to the race track for race days (but drive carefully because I have to make it home!). He drives a Porsche and has a well used race car. One of his buddies just bought an international car racing team!

We all spend about the same % of our annual income on cars. My friends friend isn't showing off, he likes cars and has the money available, so spends what I consider to be a crap ton of money on his race team.

In tri there are people like me that are totally addicted to tri, but still agonize and save up for some FLO's. Similarly, there are some who would have their PA get them a pair of the new Zipps, because they are actually, or are perceived to be the best.

Both poor people and rich people buy whatever speed they can on the bike. Most people don't buy it to show off or don't even buy it to win, but to be the fastest they can be, within the financial limits they have.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wheels? Hell for 3600 bucks I could get a complete short block 347 stroker and custom cam for that.

Totally agree bike industry is out of touch for the US market.

HOWEVER, I'm currently in Singapore where there are people with a lot of cash. It's very, very, common to see guys riding around on full Zipp race wheels for their everyday bike, even the guys doing a once per week 40km leisure ride have them. Makes passing them all the more satisfying.

Seeing that $3600 price tag makes me love my bargain basement Mavic Carbone SL's even more. I'll use the savings to buy more Gatorade and train more :)
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [jethropup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jethropup wrote:
Wheels? Hell for 3600 bucks I could get a complete short block 347 stroker and custom cam for that.

Totally agree bike industry is out of touch for the US market.

HOWEVER, I'm currently in Singapore where there are people with a lot of cash. It's very, very, common to see guys riding around on full Zipp race wheels for their everyday bike, even the guys doing a once per week 40km leisure ride have them. Makes passing them all the more satisfying.

Seeing that $3600 price tag makes me love my bargain basement Mavic Carbone SL's even more. I'll use the savings to buy more Gatorade and train more :)
Nice seeing another Mustang guy here :)
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridork wrote:

None of them buy stuff to show off their wealth. The ones that do buy expensive stuff, buy it for one of several reasons.

A good friend of mine makes over 10 times what I make. He feels poor because he hangs out with some seriously rich friends. I take my 10 year old car to the race track for race days (but drive carefully because I have to make it home!). He drives a Porsche and has a well used race car. One of his buddies just bought an international car racing team!

We all spend about the same % of our annual income on cars. My friends friend isn't showing off, he likes cars and has the money available, so spends what I consider to be a crap ton of money on his race team.

In tri there are people like me that are totally addicted to tri, but still agonize and save up for some FLO's. Similarly, there are some who would have their PA get them a pair of the new Zipps, because they are actually, or are perceived to be the best.

Both poor people and rich people buy whatever speed they can on the bike. Most people don't buy it to show off or don't even buy it to win, but to be the fastest they can be, within the financial limits they have.

Well said...
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, there are tons of guys who ride with top flight gear for vanity. I ride with a bunch of them......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jethropup wrote:
Nope, there are tons of guys who ride with top flight gear for vanity. I ride with a bunch of them......

What do you mean... "for vanity"? You mean to show off their wealth?
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:
tridork wrote:

Well said...

I'm extremely happy in my life. I don't really harbour any jealousy of people or stuff. I don't want any fancy wheels, but I would like a race car at some point. My friend with the race car has told me about the $2K cup. Bring any car under $2k. Good fun and within my budget.....possibly. Gotta be more fun that getting the latest Zipp front wheel and leaving my FLO's at home :-)

I WILL however, go to the track to watch my friends buddies race team. That should be wicked good fun.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like most people, I base my opinions on my own experiences in life. I come across very few posers. In fact, I can't think of any off the top of my head. Therefore, I get a possibly distorted view of the world, and erroneously think they are a tiny minority. Apparently there are a lot of posers, and all the posers ride with YOU! Sucks to be you. LOL

TriDork

Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride with guys who bought the wheels for both vanity (ie, "they look cool") and not to show off their wealth in the way you are thinking.

They buy them because they don't want to be the guy that appears he can't afford them.

Mind you that I'm in Singapore and ride with a lot of forgein expats from all over the world (US, Aust. , NZ, Germany, France) and many of them are high earners in finance. Zipp is more than the US market....

My neighbor at my condo has a full tilt Shiv with Zipp wheels. He's be lucky to avg 15 MPH on a ride but in Asia there is a huge status culture. HUGE.

Should add, I'm the US "white guy" in the group. lol
Last edited by: jethropup: Jun 26, 14 18:44
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:

Flo just needs to keep focusing on the future and not sit back and be complacent on what they have done so far.

We are definitely focusing on the future. We are in a development year so things appear slow, but there's lots going on behind the scenes.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am sure you are as most companies are always in a "development year" lol. I think people that call you a fast follower always think you will be behind the others. I have seen personally what a "fast follower" can become in the 15 years with my company.

I think people have to sit back and see that you have only been in the game a very short time compared to the others and you are doing things differently. I think they need to watch what happens in the next couple of years and then see if they feel the same.

Good luck in the future as I know I will be riding some Flo wheels at some point.
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
I am sure you are as most companies are always in a "development year" lol. I think people that call you a fast follower always think you will be behind the others. I have seen personally what a "fast follower" can become in the 15 years with my company.

I think people have to sit back and see that you have only been in the game a very short time compared to the others and you are doing things differently. I think they need to watch what happens in the next couple of years and then see if they feel the same.

Good luck in the future as I know I will be riding some Flo wheels at some point.

Haha! That is true... every year is a development year! Thanks for the kind words.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So did you buy a set of these firestrikes yet ?
Have not seen them on the road yet or heard any feedback.
Are they truly sublime ?
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [rmg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. If you send me a set, I would be happy to let know know how they ride. But my guess is they are round, just like most of the other wheels I ride.

I'm thinking about going back to tubulars. Used ones are CHEAP. Barely used 303s and 404s for close to $1000. That's a steal.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
meh... you started the thread, can't get closure on it until you report back
Quote Reply

Prev Next