Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kona bike transport
Quote | Reply
Has anyone ever tried to fedex your bike to yourself?

I am thinking that I will arrive on 10/4, so I could pack up my bike and fedex it to my condo on 10/1 or so and have it arrive in Kona a day or two after I fly in.

I ride a 2011 P4 and do all my own wrench work. We are all familiar with how tricky the brakes and rear clearances can be, so I would just as soon deal with it myself on both ends (home and Hawaii).

After race day, I could pack it back up and ship it home (maybe to a friends house).

I have never done this before, so maybe this idea sucks and I just dont know it.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: Kona bike transport [bufit323] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear this option works fine if you live in the US. As I live in Canada, all the customs stuff gets in the way. If you are going somewhere post race, then I can see the Fedex option being attractive. If you are going straight home, then just check it on the plane and pay the baggage fee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not cheap to ship a bike to or from Hawaii, it's probably at least $150 each way. I really don't think you'd save much beyond just taking it on the plane with you. Plus, knowing how (not) reliable FedEx is to Hawaii, I'd worry about it arriving on time and in one piece. The only real way I see it being worth it is if you're planning to travel after the race and don't want the hassle of bringing the bike with you. Otherwise, I'd just bring it on the plane.

I know that Bikeworks in Kona has some shipping/unpacking/assembling/packing service packages for Ironman, but I don't know how much they cost. You might want to contact them about shipping or receiving your bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona bike transport [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
It's not cheap to ship a bike to or from Hawaii, it's probably at least $150 each way. I really don't think you'd save much beyond just taking it on the plane with you. Plus, knowing how (not) reliable FedEx is to Hawaii, I'd worry about it arriving on time and in one piece. The only real way I see it being worth it is if you're planning to travel after the race and don't want the hassle of bringing the bike with you. Otherwise, I'd just bring it on the plane.

I know that Bikeworks in Kona has some shipping/unpacking/assembling/packing service packages for Ironman, but I don't know how much they cost. You might want to contact them about shipping or receiving your bike.

I will have to change planes at least once, I am sure there is a chance that the airline could lose my bag. Also, TSA can open it and fidget with it at will I believe (are you even allowed to lock it?). At least with fedex I can insure it, ship it early, get tracking number, put tools into the box, etc. Regarding Bikeworks, I would rather mess with the bike myself (see original post).

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The reason I suggested checking with Bikeworks is that the shipping may be cheaper and more convenient through them. The last time I shipped a bike to the mainland, FedEx quoted me over $300 without a FedEx account. Using my LBS' FedEx account, it was around $150. If you have access to another FedEx account number, you probably don't need to worry about that.

I looked into shipping my bike to/from IM Texas from Honolulu, and it wasn't worth it to me for what it cost. I know, however, that plenty people do it for Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered renting a bike at BikeWorks? I shipped my bike via Tri Bike Transport for the race, and a friend rented her bike Kona race week, and she had a great fitting top-end bike. They do the fit there, you just bring your pedals and fit criteria.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Re: Kona bike transport [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharonMcN wrote:
Have you considered renting a bike at BikeWorks? I shipped my bike via Tri Bike Transport for the race, and a friend rented her bike Kona race week, and she had a great fitting top-end bike. They do the fit there, you just bring your pedals and fit criteria.

To be honest, the thought never occurred to me and the idea kind of horrifies me now that it has come up.

It seems nuts (to me at least), train for months or years on a bike, qualify on a bike, know very intimate detail on the bike because you built it and maintained it, and then show up at Kona and race a bike you know nothing about (even if it is brand new high end from an awesome shop).

I am just to much if an obsessive preparer to give that a whirl.

Kona is probably a once in a lifetime thing for me, I can't imagine trusting that experience to a piece of race gear that I received a few days before go time. (Especially a piece of gear as big/important as a bike).

Maybe I am just a whacko (probably actually).

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use TriBike Transport..no fuss, no muss! Quite frankly I can't figure out why anyone wouldn't do this (where it is available).

Now, your bike leaves 2 weeks or so before the race, but most of us have a 2nd bike so it is no big deal.

*** Caveat - I do/have had a business relationship w/ TBT

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used TBT for Kona last year and plan to use them again for Kona this year. Simple and easy.

*I do not have a business relationship with TBT.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona bike transport [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
Quite frankly I can't figure out why anyone wouldn't do this

Doesn't it require that they do some wrenching on the bike?

That's what I was tying to avoid (ie wanted to handle myself).

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the math, ship/fly with/Tri Bike, in 2012 from Texas, Tri Bike Transport was a little more but a great experience, especially post race! Have someone, friends and family, give you $ towards the cost for Birthday present. Worth every penny.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out shipbikes.com. They are a service company that use Fedex. I've used them a couple of times, all great experiences. They have several bike box options as well that are really nice - the AirCaddy can fit a TON of stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've shipped my bike a few times with FedEx and twice I received it where it looked like FedEx gorillas challenged themselves to destroy my TriAll3 case (they actually bent one of the metal rails). Fortunately, the case did its job and my bike was not damaged.

I have used TriBike Transport to Kona (for Honu) and to Cabo and I would use it anytime it is available. There is no wrenching involved except for removing/reattaching pedals and they take great care in handling your bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona bike transport [cjbruin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cjbruin wrote:
There is no wrenching involved except for removing/reattaching pedals and they take great care in handling your bike.

That's what I wanted to know, all they do is mess with peddles? They don't mess with base bar or wheels or anything?

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"That's what I wanted to know, all they do is mess with peddles? They don't mess with base bar or wheels or anything?"
--------------------------------
That is correct. Mine gets treated like a baby. Just remove pedals and drop it at a partner shop. You can even ship a gear bag with them.

Please let me know if you want Marc Lauzon, the president and founder, to jump on here.....I believe he is traveling today.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bufit323 wrote:
cjbruin wrote:
There is no wrenching involved except for removing/reattaching pedals and they take great care in handling your bike.

That's what I wanted to know, all they do is mess with peddles? They don't mess with base bar or wheels or anything?

Yes. I remove my pedals before dropping the bike at the shop and let the TBT guys put them on when I pick up the bike.

Just remember to take your pedals with you when you travel. I've seen more than one person show up and realize they left them at home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bufit323 wrote:
cjbruin wrote:

_______

Using TBT to Kona is a no-brainer if you have access to their services. I handled my own peddle removal/ placement and put my bike tools in the extra bag so I could do any adjustments while in Kona. You can also place tires/ inflators/ bottles ... whatever you want in the extra bag. Hugely less hassle than trying to ship it yourself and you can buy reasonably priced insurance as well .... cost is very good as well.

Dave

I have no business relationship other than all the money I've given them over several years to transport my bike all over WTC land .... all well spent in my opinion.
Quote Reply