Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cadence and Power Output
Quote | Reply
Does a lower cadece provide for a more consistent power output than a higher cadence? ( eg 80rpm vs 95rpm)?

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Apr 20, 14 7:49
Quote Reply
Re: Cadence and Power Output [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whichever cadence you hold more consistent will equate to the power that you hold more consistent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no. in fact it could be argued that you'd be less consistent as d(power)/d(cadence) is greater at a lower rpm

i'm surprised that RChung hasn't yet said "cadence is a red herring," alas, i'll do the honours ;)

you use whatever cadence that gets you the max power for the duration in question (obviously subjected to gearing available). i personally find 90-100 rpm to be the norm up to FTP, and 105-110 rpm the norm when i'm going 10-20% above FTP
Quote Reply
Re: Cadence and Power Output [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I respectfully disagree with everyone being less consistent with a lower cadence.

I do agree with using whatever cadence gets you max power if that is what you are after.

Personally I find pedaling in the low to mid 80's to be the easiest to hold consistent power near threshold. For other race situations I may choose something different depending on my plans.

If I'm in a situation that I want to limit power (hold back) I'll spin slightly faster than normal.

Most of the time though when I'm trying to hold a consistent power in a HIM I'll be in the high 70's to low 80's just because I find it easier to do it that way
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My natural cadence is around 77, and I find that I am able to hold more consistent power there. I think that it all depends on where you usually ride and what is most comfortable.

Think about it... any time that you try and force yourself to do anything faster or slower than your body wants to, it doesn't make it easier - it makes that activity harder.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply