Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Swim fatality in Florida Sprint Triathlon today [Kbautel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm so sorry for your loss. Hopefully the time you both spent training together for the race formed some very strong fond memories you will always be able to cherish.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim fatality in Florida Sprint Triathlon today [Meathead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So sorry for your loss. Deepest condolences to you and your family. Thanks for making the effort to post here and fill in the details on what happened. Hopefully you and your family can find some measure of peace knowing that your dad was out there being an athlete, living life to it's fullest, doing exactly what he wanted to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so sorry for your loss.. may his memory be eternal.

Clearly this was not an 'inexperienced swimmer' problem..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
heartfelt condolences on the loss of your father. there are no words. thank you for sharing your memories and inspiration. it is heartening for me to hear you were doing what you all loved to do. prayers for your family and dreams of the bib crossing the finish line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My heart goes out to you and your family. About 10 years ago my brother-in-law, who was an accomplished runner (500+times on the podium), collapsed and died of a cardiac arrest after completing a 10k. Two months before he had a complete physical, with no signs of any cardiac problems. His wife (my sister) was an RN, and said that he never had the slightest indication of any issues, and we still don't know why it happened. As you can imagine, I now read every report, and follow every tragedy (and as I indicated in my previous post, it could happen to anyone). Once the shock is over, you will take comfort in remembering your father's spirit, his drive, and his love for you and your family.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim fatality in Florida Sprint Triathlon today [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Dan,

I have to say, I'm an RD of an upstate NY tri series (ATC Endurance). My partner and I were looking over your swim tip articles posted here last year and I thought they were great. We ended up instituting a lot of your suggestions and we feel very good about them. As you know, you can't control everything, but we feel we are better prepared for reading your information. Thanks a ton for posting it! I'd be happy to see your email if you have it handy still.

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Swim fatality in Florida Sprint Triathlon today [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was directed to this feed by a colleague of mine and I really kinda skimmed more so than in-depth read, so I apologize for any repetitiveness.

To start a little about me. I am a therapist, and owner of Triton Water Rescue. My experience as a lifeguard is through the USLA for 19 years, which is much different from Red Cross. Over the past year the USLA published the USLA Open Water Swim Event Safety Guidelines. I was one of four individuals on the committee that worked to revise the guidelines and then present them to the USLA. In the past four years I my company has been involved in 99 races, I took the data and conducted my own research to explain causes of the drownings from a mental health perspective, which many have mentioned, but I have not found the research. Simply my research had suggested that anxiety can increase heart palpitations and heart rate, which can trigger heart conditions. Nothing new, but I took the time to collect the data. I don't believe this is the end of it either, there is more. I believe there is a collaboration of effort among everyone that needs to occur to prevent drownings. I can go on regarding all this, and it appears this feed is leading to what caused the drowning? Whose fault is this?

I agree with Dr. Creswell's list. One thing I feel is missing are symptoms that could be fatal. I had developed such a list that I provide to my race directors at every event. It additionally provides what to do when you are unsure. Common sense, but a reminder. I started this when I received an email from an athlete who stated he had some discomfort in his chest. He continued through a half ironman distance and then drove home. The following day he had a follow up with his doctor and was sent to the cardiologist and then flown to the hospital for heart surgery. According to him the doctors tests indicated two heart attacks within the past 24 hours. I'm not a cardiologist and can not explain how they could tell this, but this is what I'm told. The individual was a police officer for about 15 years, so he was trained as a first responder. The point is a first responder could not identify that what he was experiencing was not good, and most likely a driven individual he pushed through the symptoms.

Mr. Empfield you mentioned that a psychologist on the panel suggested controlling anxiety before the race. I agree with this fully based on my research. Many races actually offer anxiety relief before the race. As a therapist I think this is great. As a lifeguard I don't like this. It is normal to experience some anxiety before performance. It becomes problematic when an athlete is being offered help with anxiety that is preventing them from competing. Just as important as physical training is mental training. This should be occuring and practiced before the event not at the event. So in the cases an athlete can't get in the water because they are anxious, then their anxiety is alleviated for the time until they jump in the water where it may reappear. At this time the individual is hanging onto some form of water support distracting the individual from the rest of the race. In SOME CASES athletes are told they can go from lifeguard to lifeguard and thats what we are there for. The correct answer is "We are not there to act as rest stops or buoys. We are there to monitor and perform rescues when necessary, evaluate athletes for symptoms and advise them to leave if they are clearly not prepared or concerning to the lifeguards."

In my experience the knowledge of water safety by many race directors and swim coordinators is limited. I present my view and some understand and listen and others feel they know more or just don't want to listen.

There is not much information to determine why the individual drowned based on the news articles, unless there is something I am missing at this point. The thing that I am concerned about in reading what has been written is "According to Pinellas County Sheriff's Office, Bautel appeared to be drowning during the swim portion of the triathlon. Nearby swimmers pulled him from the water, began performing CPR and called 911, deputies said."

I don't have all the facts clearly, but there is something wrong with this alone. I can continue, but I think what I have written is already long enough. If there are questions I'm always willing to discuss. Change can occur, but needs to occur from all areas.

Rick Lill, LCSW
Founder/CEO
Triton Water Rescue
Quote Reply
Re: Swim fatality in Florida Sprint Triathlon today [rclill2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just wanted to apologize to the family members of Donald Bautel. I am not always on the forum and came in to this feed late and clearly did not read it in its entirety. I did not read the entire feed and have learned. It has been losses like this that have motivated me to create some change in area's I am knowledgable of. My condolences to the Bautel's on their loss.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim fatality in Florida Sprint Triathlon today [benjpi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
benjpi wrote:

A TT start is no safer than a wave start

Quote:

I'm not sure how you're coming to that conclusion.

Some time ago I read a report that did some research on swim deaths and established that the occurrences happened regardless of distance, body of water, athlete experience and regardless of swim start - TT, wave or mass.

I think this is the link. http://jama.jamanetwork.com/...spx?articleid=185622

Along with accompanying story in Triathlete: http://triathlon.competitor.com/...ncidents-study_65528

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Last edited by: Jaymz: May 8, 14 11:37
Quote Reply

Prev Next