Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fastest 400 meter run on the track? [woof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
51.3 - On a quarter mile cinder track. I'm old.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest 400 meter run on the track? [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ran sprints in high school (in uni I was an alternate at a big track school in Canada and trained but rarely raced). I broke 49 once racing the two above me on the depth chart. Lost by a considerable margin.

Haven't run it in 15 years. I'm quite curious.

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
47.93 when it was still 440.

Undefeated for two years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
50.8 ... also did a few 800m under 2:00 - 45 years ago, when I was 15 & 30 lbs lighter - I've also wondered if there is a corelation between early indication of fast twitch muscles and long distance performance later in life.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest 400 meter run on the track? [d.hiddenwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d.hiddenwell wrote:
50.8 ... also did a few 800m under 2:00 - 45 years ago, when I was 15 & 30 lbs lighter - I've also wondered if there is a corelation between early indication of fast twitch muscles and long distance performance later in life.
Based on my similar experience, I would say the correlation is a matter of high pain threshold.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest 400 meter run on the track? [d.hiddenwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d.hiddenwell wrote:

As the saying goes -- speed kills. A good 400m time means you've got pretty good form and speed, typically at all effort levels. It's also nice to know that when you see the finish line, and switch to a different energy system, things are going to go your way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
51.7 in high school.

I took a little more than a decade off from anything productive concerning athletics but now I'm back at it.

Today at age 31:

5K is 18:45
10K is 41:00
Half is 1:28.30
Marathon is 3:35

I was always curious how my high school speed compared to others who are similar to what I can do today.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest 400 meter run on the track? [brooks5656] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would be a poor gage for you, since I'm 25 years older and joined the Navy out of high school. So although I remained very active for the first 22 years of my adult life, it was not speed based (Although I could probably keep up with many on ST doing CSS).

My PR's in adult life are (all after the age of 40):

5K in 19:08
10K in 39:55
Half in 1:27:15
Marathon in 3:21:05

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
48.2 auto, 48 flat on a relay leg
52.34 for the 400IH, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be curious to see the fast times by STer's over 50 years old at 400m. Anyone under 60? Anyone even breaking 70? (I know the former is a world of difference).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
63, wearing plain running shoes during a PE class in HS. I could do several repeats at 67 or so during track practice as a JV 1500m/3K stooge, so I'd like to think I could have broken a minute in a real race w/ spikes and all, but never had the opportunity present itself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I smoked dope, drank whiskey and chased girls in high school (way back in the 1970's). If she ran, I didn't chase. I only chased pretty girls that didn't run.

I've never run 400m in anger. Closest was some 400m repeats on a cinder track on a hot humid day back in Canada before I switched to IM's. I think my 400 repeats were timed with a sun dial. After suffering like a rented mule that day, I decided intervals were un-necessary as even at my pace, I still get the IM finishers shirt, just like everyone else :-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply

Prev Next